The Really Big Win From Streaming

Posted by: Camlan on 07 December 2018

Is the price of used CDs on the second hand sites to rip. Unbelievable value, top quality DG classical box sets for less and in some cases considerably less than the price of a pint. This is top quality music for nothing. Ok you can stream some of it but how long is that going to last with the business model seemingly challenging ? Personally at these prices I’d rather own it and make hay while I can.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by MDS

Agreed.  It's also a 'Really Big Win' for dinosaurs like me still playing CDs, and I save time not ripping, too.  

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by AndyP19

Given the recent 16 bit download prices on Qobuz, I'd say new CDs are a winner. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Yes I am also still buying cd’s - however only from stuff which is not available in high res, as I always take high res if possible...

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Alley Cat
AndyP19 posted:

Given the recent 16 bit download prices on Qobuz, I'd say new CDs are a winner. 

They've never been competitive have they and I've often wondered why Sublime discounts never extended to CDs as well as HiRes downloads as often a HiRes download simply isn't available - in such cases I'd be tempted to get the CD quality download but not if it's more than a CD from Amazon (for example) which comes with Auto-Rip to play immediately albeit in MP3 quality with the ability to rip in full CD quality a day or two later. 

I wonder if it's because they think Sublime users would simply stream the content for free - yes I often do, but for some albums I want a purchased copy too.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Alley Cat
Camlan posted:

Is the price of used CDs on the second hand sites to rip. Unbelievable value, top quality DG classical box sets for less and in some cases considerably less than the price of a pint. This is top quality music for nothing. 

Even more frightening if you download say the Music magpie app and scan a few CD barcodes is the realisation that what once cost you £12 will now give a handsome return of 20p or less - frightening, and undoubtedly due to cheap/free streaming services satisfying the average person's musical needs

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by jlarsson

My favourite time of the day, when I get to feed the Uniti Core with new CD:s.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Harry
Bert Schurink posted:

Yes I am also still buying cd’s - however only from stuff which is not available in high res, as I always take high res if possible...

Same here.