Linking USB external storage advice

Posted by: AndyP19 on 08 December 2018

Having just exceeded 6TB of capacity on my music collection I have set up another NAS with 10TB as a back-up to my main NAS.

That leaves me with two WD Book USB drives (one of 6TB and one of 4TB) sitting around doing nothing. Is there anyway of plugging these into my Synology NAS and creating some form of combined/linked USB capacity of 10TB with the two redundant USB drives?

Or should I break open the cases take out what I guess are going to be WD Green drives and buy another cheap NAS housing?

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by ChrisSU

If your NAS has spare USB ports, you can attach external drives to it. Depending on what server you are running, it should be able to find them. Minimserver can do this I think, probably after you have configured it using Minimwatch. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by AndyP19

Thanks, can it see the two separate USB connections as one combined 10TB JBOD capacity?

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Hi, I haven’t actually tried doing this yet. It just happens that I was looking into it yesterday with a view to setting it up, but haven’t had time to do it yet. I assume that whatever folders Minimserver scans will present as a single library when viewed through your streamer. Naim’s server certainly does this, and I assume most other music servers will too.