Question about leaving an amp on with no speakers hooked up to it.

Posted by: drawtheline55 on 08 December 2018

Hi, cant seem to find this in the manual, just wondering, if one wanted to leave a naim amp on for say a week, even a month

without anything hooked up to it and no speakers hooked either, just the amp on to keep it warm.

Is that ok, or a big no no, just dont know, thanks.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

It’s fine. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Yes, just do it. If it helps, my dealer sometimes powers up an amp like this and leaves it on overnight if he is going to use it in a demo the next day. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by drawtheline55

Hi thanks for the replies. I kind of that it would be ok, but didn't know.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

Just remember to turn it off before you reconnect everything..

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by blythe

and be sure that if you're leaving speaker cables plugged into the sockets of the amp (rather than disconnecting the cables at the amp),  they cannot short out...

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by drawtheline55

Hi yes, I always turn everything off before a reconnect, but good point.

To be clear, I am leaving the amp on with Nothing connected to it, no plug, no cables no dins etc.

Just the amp turned on.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I guess I was a little concerned when reading this - certainly the more traditional amps very much use the speaker impedance to drive stability - and so I think I would like to see confirmation from Naim that powering an amp with no impedance load had no issues with parasitic oscillations and the such like.. i guess just check that it doesn't get warm at all with no speaker attached - but anyway I would still check with Naim.. it might be the newer amps are less sensitive here.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by drawtheline55

I did check the amp, it is not warm at all, but turned it off until I contact the Naim distributor ( I am in the US)

Better safe than sorry, thanks for the input.