Flash remote

Posted by: Bosh on 08 December 2018

My Flash 2 remote died in a cloud of smoke a few weeks ago and my local dealer says it cant be serviced anymore

I also have a Flash 1 and was of the understanding that the 2 is only a software upgrade of the 1. Does anyone know if this can be done just by swapping in the Eprom from the 2 into the 1 or does it involve more than that

Failing this which Naim remote controls both CD players and amps (my Qute 2 one does the amp but not CD555)

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Yes, it should just be a case of swapping the PIC chip. Take ESD precautions and use a proper “picker” as the chip is in very firmly and you don’t wAnt to risk damaging anything. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Michael

I swapped the chip from one of my Flash remotes  to another and it worked fine. Observe the precautions Richard has stated.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by douglas

My original Flash died some months ago. Salisbury confirmed it was no longer repairable. Its my favourite Naim remote so I trawled around a few dealers and discovered that Grahams in north London had one lying in a drawer which had never been used. They offered it to me at a good price. It dates from March 2005 and works just fine. When/if it dies that will there are no more. I was just lucky. Sometimes happens.

Douglas.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by davidf

My flash started suddenly rapidly turning up the volume. I changed betteries and same thing happened. Frightening when this happens.

anyone know what causes this to happen and how to fix?

obviously have not used it since

david

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Could be worthwhile stripping down to see if there’s something stuck under the volume pressure pad. Otherwise, Naim service might know.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by davidf

Richard, tried cleaning the Flash- same thing happened- volume rapidly ramped up after just pressing the volume up bottom. I give up.will stick with my basic Naim remote. Too bad as the Flash has a great feel and heft. Any other ideas?

david

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Richard Dane

David, no idea I'm afraid.  Mark R at Naim might have a better idea - or else one for Naim service to provide some suggestions..