Where have my Radio 4 on demand programmes gone?

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 08 December 2018

Recently I’m finding that I have virtually no on demand programmes. Of about 100 I’ve checked, only a handful are there. As an example, Desert Island Discs. No programmes. They are not there on the 272 or the Qbs. I’ve turned the streamers off and on again to no avail. Has anyone else got Desert Island Discs? Does anyone have any clever ideas? I can send it to the Qbs from my phone using AirPlay, but that’s no use with the 272, which is what I used to use quite happily. 

Thanks. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by garyi

I wonder if this has anything to do with the beebs new sounds platform

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Brian H

Using the Android App and QB I confirm no BBC4 On Demand here

By on the phone do you mean you use iPlayer perhaps?

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Mike-B

My R-4 On Demand (NDX iPad) shows that a lot of the titles do have programs,  but some, e.g. Desert Island Disc do show "No shows available".     Whereas on PC it does seem some D.I.D. progs are available.       Looking around the other BBC stations,  its the same,  some have programs available, others have no shows available.      My guess is its a BBC problem.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I notice that there does indeed seem to be no OD material available. Podcasts, on the other hand, are there, including Desert Island Discs. There has always been a lot less content available on the Naim app compared to iPlayer, but at least there used to be some. 

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike1951

I wonder if this is in any way, if even tenuously, linked to the nightmare I’m having trying to get my Tidal albums and playlists to work (day 4 and it just keeps getting worse...)?

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by DWO-Naim

Suspect that, as Garyi says, it is something to do with the beeb moving a lot of their radio output to their new “sounds” app. I’ve heard it being pushed quite a bit on R4. Happy to be told I’m wrong.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Guinnless

I've just checked BBC 4 for On Demand and there's too many to scroll through. ????

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike-B

You just beat me to it Guinnless.     As I suspected yesterday,  a BBC problem

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’ve emailed Naim to prod them to sort this out, now I know it’s something that is affecting others. Hopefully they can fix it. 

Mike-B posted:

What's the problem? I have a huge list of BBC OD content?

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Have you selected an actual programme? Go to Desert Island Discs and try to play one. I just get ‘no shows available’. 

I've just accessed a Podcast DID with Nile Rogers. Played Ok.

Guinnless posted:
Mike-B posted:

What's the problem? I have a huge list of BBC OD content?

Misunderstanding Guinnless,  I mean that I just checked it out & found the list that now seems to have it all.   I went to post the news & saw that you had already done so = "you beat me to it".    Now its OK,  yesterday it wasn't = it was a "BBC problem".

hungryhalibut posted:

Have you selected an actual programme? Go to Desert Island Discs and try to play one. I just get ‘no shows available’. 

Some are 'no shows available',  but a lot are working OK.  There looks like a lot more shows are available than there was yesterday,  my guess is it will take BBC time to get them all populated.  

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’m confused. I always used on demand, rather than podcasts. There are no Desert Island Discs on demand, whereas they were there previously. But as others have said, there are podcasts. Maybe the latter are superseding the former.