Universal remotes

Posted by: ursus262 on 08 December 2018

Can anyone recommend a universal remote that works with the Naim Uniti (original, 2, lite and super)?  My logitech is useless and I am looking to replace it.

Dave

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Huge

I use a Logitech Harmony 700 with a 272 and it works very well.

Previously I used it with an ND5 XS and Nait XS 2, also successfully.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by feeling_zen

Surely an iPod Touch with the Naim app is the way to go? Mine controls the Naim system, TV, AV amp, washing machine, air conditioners. How much more universal are you hoping for?

A second hand one of the 16GB variety goes for next to nothing.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Alley Cat
feeling_zen posted:

Surely an iPod Touch with the Naim app is the way to go? Mine controls the Naim system, TV, AV amp, washing machine, air conditioners. How much more universal are you hoping for?

A second hand one of the 16GB variety goes for next to nothing.

If very cheap yes, but I detest the iPod Touches which have appalling battery life - I got my daughter one as she was too young for a full blown smartphone, and I can remember so many disappointing outings when the battery died after minimal usage taking photos and occasional video clips when my iPhone was going strong.

We had it replaced under AppleCare and the replacement was no better.

Maybe you'd get better life as a home 'Remote', in fact I should try as we still have it, but she no longer looks at it now she has an iPhone.

It's just typical Apple form over function - very slim device with a crap battery.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by feeling_zen
Alley Cat posted:
, but I detest the iPod Touches which have appalling battery life -

It's all relative. I get a couple days out of my phone. But 2-3 weeks on an iPod Touch dedicated as a remote. A 5 year old model at that.

But yes, my regular IR remotes go 2 years between swapping batteries.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Pev

I have an early iPod Touch and it can't run any updated iOS and so can't run any Naim app newer than NStream and thus is completely useless. If you get a Touch be careful which one you buy! Next to nothing would still be a rip off if I sold it (it couldn't drive any headphones I tried to abover a whisper so no use for its main purpose either). 

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by raym55

I tried to use a Logitech Touch all in one remote instead of the new Atom remote. No go. I'm pretty sure that the new Naim remote isn't infra red. A simple test of hiding the Naim remote from the Atom and pressing buttons makes the Atom work. 

Not sure if the same can be said of the earlier Uniti though. 

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Harry

I don't get on with the Logitech remotes. They might have improved considerably by now. I've had three, thrown two out and got a refund on the third.

I have been using a URC MX3000 very happily for some years. It was difficult to obtain and ridiculously easy to set up, customise and configure to work exactly how I wanted. I don't know if URC remotes have got easy, harder or impossible to obtain nowadays. I would personally look into anything before throwing any more money at Logitech remotes. Love their mouses.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by ChrisSU
raym55 posted:

I tried to use a Logitech Touch all in one remote instead of the new Atom remote. No go. I'm pretty sure that the new Naim remote isn't infra red. A simple test of hiding the Naim remote from the Atom and pressing buttons makes the Atom work. 

Not sure if the same can be said of the earlier Uniti though. 

The new Uniti and separate streamers have remotes using Zigbee (a kind of WiFi) rather than IR. As this becomes more widely used, I imagine aftermarket remotes that use it will become more widely available, but it's incompatible with traditional IR remotes.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by raym55

Thanks Chrissu.