Help with Tommy studio versions

Posted by: Bart on 09 December 2018

I have flac versions of what definitely appears to be two distinct studio versions of Tommy. One I'm pretty sure is a rip of the MFSL cd, and the other is the Deluxe version from HDTracks. They DEFINITELY are different versions, and I didn't think that there were 2 studio versions. I've posted track listings below hoping that someone might help me sort it out. Were there 2 studio versions??

I know that file size is meaningless, as it comes down to flac compression. The second version (HDTracks Deluxe) definitely is what my wife and I both remember hearing over the past 40-something years.

MFSL cd:

HDTracks Deluxe Ed. 2013:

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by AndyP19

I recall that the MFSL version was issued with the note that this recording was taken from Pete Townshend’s personal master copy of the album.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Bart
AndyP19 posted:

I recall that the MFSL version was issued with the note that this recording was taken from Pete Townshend’s personal master copy of the album.

Interesting.  The versions of a couple of the songs definitely are different.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Motel Blues

Over on Mr Hoffman’s forum I read that the MFSL from Pete’s personal master copy has an alternate version of ”Eyesight To The Blind”.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Bart
Motel Blues posted:

Over on Mr Hoffman’s forum I read that the MFSL from Pete’s personal master copy has an alternate version of ”Eyesight To The Blind”.

Thanks - I finally got some info there as well.  The MFSL version has a couple of 'alternative takes' and that's the answer.

It's 'funny' how we listen to something for 40 years - even occasionally - and we can immediately react with "that ain't right!" 

This is a big reason music is such a part of my life - so much really "imprinted" on my brain decades ago.  It's quite comforting to re-energize those memories when I listen now.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by ewemon

I have a copy of the MFSL but haven't played it in years.