new speaker cables

Posted by: richard999 on 09 December 2018

Ive just been on an un-named auction site and got my self some Nac a5! so it will be in the post as of tomorrow hopefully. For about 15 years I've been using cable talk 3.1 and have tried chord rumour and chord odyssey tried the kimber 8tc and the quad stuff and the red anniversary ... non of them sounded quite right hence going back to the cable talk stuff...I wanted to scratch the itch with A5 so I'm wondering what i should be expecting....its used so probably had a few running hours compared to off the drum.

Imm running a nac 202, napsc, two serviced hicaps, a stage line 'n' rega rp6, dynanvector 20x2 high output.into a quad 606 mk2 and a set of mk2 ATC scm7 on target R4 stands. all naim interconnects apart from the hicap to power amp which is a chord crimson. I know some of you will say...hmmm get aa naim power amp...to be honest..right now a 250 or a 200 used would be nice but christmas isn't letting me splash out so the 606 is staying for now ;-)

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Dan.S

You've been missing out all this time. Enjoy!

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Mike-B

NACA5 is designed to work with Naim amps so be careful assuming the effects of NAC5 on your current Quad power amp will be the same on a Naim amp.    Quad amps already have their output stage loaded with an internal inductive load (coil),  the NACA5 will add to that inductive value & it may or may not have an audible effect.   Whatever it’s a goood move fore your future aim amp.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Richard, what are the lengths of the NACA5?  It might be worthwhile at some point getting some new Naim speaker connectors fitted - definitely worthwhile if the NACA5 has something else fitted as speaker plugs.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I’m not sure that Naim plugs would be a good fit on a Quad 606. Maybe at the speaker end, but then you’d really want an F-connection IIRC. 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Mike-B

Agree Chris,  the Naim plugs are not ideal altho’ they do fit.  The Quad binding post are orientated vertically meaning the cable exit from the plug is sideways & it can only be routed ‘outwards’ because power & IC cables get in the way in the other direction.   Regular bananas are the better way. 

Yes, a friend had a 606 years ago, and from what I remember, you might struggle to connect Naim plugs at all in the recess that the sockets sit in. 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Richard Dane

I've used Naim plugs on my own 606 just fine.  I did remove the plastic housing on the plugs though.

Fair enough Richard, it was quite a few years ago that I peered round the back of a 606, so I will bow before your greater experience. 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by richard999

thanks for your replies, the lengths are 4 meters per side. I'm expecting to remove the plastic casing of the naim plugs at the amp end. the other end is standard banana type