Spotify spontaneously playing

Posted by: Davis on 10 December 2018

Hi hoping someone here can shed some light on why our Uniti Atom (version 2.6.1) spontaneously starts and plays a random playlist? It's happened now twice:

Middle of the night (last night 3:30am) we wake up to the music playing. Check the Naim app from bed and it's playing music we don't listen to (first time it was Ariana Grande, last night it was a rap artist) 

It appears to be playing through my partners Spotify account - opening his phone and Spotify we can see the playlist there but both times it's been playlists that neither of us have ever listened to. 

We are completely bewildered by how this could happen - the Naim has been turned off (well standby mode) for many hours and we're sound asleep when it kicks off. 

After the first night, it happened during the day again and the only way we seemed to fix it was to log out of all devices. But it seems to have kicked off again last night. 

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  

Suggestions?

Thanks

Colin

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by PianoBasher

I had this happen on my NDX some time ago. My grandson had used his Apotify account while connected via my WiFi, and obviously something has remembered the association with his Spotify account and my NDX.  I presume this association is stored in one or more of: the initiating device (his iPhone); the playback device (my NDX); or the Spotify server(s). If anyone knows where Spotify actually stores this information I would love to know.

Initially I was concerned about this, being unhappy that something I hadn't explicitly agreed to seemed to be getting access to my network. I guess that, legally, I gave implicit agreement when I allowed him to use my network!

At the time I solved this by disabling Spotify on the NDX, since I have no interest is using Spotify myself.

But I now also have a Muso and Muso Qb. And there is no way to disable Spotify on these devices (Naim - Surely it would be quite simple to do this in the device firmware - Please advise if this is planned).

For the time being I isolate these devices from the LAN (they are all off a dedicated switch so that is simple to do) whenever anyone else has access to my WiFi. That should prevent any new device/account associations from being established.

I did a factory reset of all three devices recently, so this should have cleared the problem IF the association is stored in the playback device and nowhere else. But I need to get my grandson to run Spotify on his account somewhere else and see if he can still access my devices.

If anyone knows where Spotify stores this association please let me know.

Thanks,

PB

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

If others have played Spotify then they can still use it even if they are elsewhere - it’s part of how Spotify Connect works. So try turning off the Spotify input under input settings on the app. 

One odd thing we had was whenever a friend came round music started playing on our Qb in the kitchen. It turned out they have music constantly playing from Spotify on their phone and it was turning on the Qb by Bluetooth. We put the Bluetooth into secure mode via the App and that stopped it. Hopefully you can do the same with your Atom.

I hope this helps - I’m sure Arianna Grande is delightful, but not at 3.30am!

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by ChrisSU

This is a failing of the Spotify Connect system which has always been there. They seem to have no intention of fixing it. 

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Davis

Thanks for all the tips; the only two people that have ever streamed to this device are just us two, so it's a bit puzzling how others could do it. There's no one else on our wifi, so that's puzzling because my Atom doesn't appear for me in my list of devices when I am outside my house. 

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by perttu

I assume your friend/relative/child/parent has logged in spotify using your account.

Go to spotify website and look for help-troubleshoot-how to remotely log out. After that change your password. 

If you have listened spotify through external speaker using mobile device. In an android spotify app you can see which devices your app remembers. Selecting a song and press a text with small speaker icon located under the song's name. Then just select a device you prefer to listen. If you want to remove an unwanted device press ... Icon and choose "forget this device". 

I haven't checked iOS app yet, but it should have a similar function. 

Davis, the reason you don't see your atom when you're not home is the enabled setting found in spotify. When using mobile spotify app press home button(house icon) - library - settings (icon located top right corner in android) - show only local devices.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by David Hendon

I have read before that a factory reset of the muso/Qb does clear out all the Spotify info and anyone who has had permission to use that player no longer has it. So that in itself should clear the problem of someone else who is somewhere else selecting your device for playback (and turning it up loud as they can’t hear it!).

best

David