editing metadata

Posted by: john V on 11 December 2018

I'm still having trouble adding metadata (name of album and artist) for CDs that my Uniti Core doesn't recognize. I follow directions to the letter.  I go to "edit metadata" , select "custom", add title and artist and press "save".  Everything looks fine. I go to the CD lists and all the info is there.  Then the next time that I turn the Core on, everything that I added is gone and it again says "unknown".  I must be doing something wrong.   The CDs that I am trying to name are compilations made on a CD recorder -- could that be the problem ?  I am using an iPhone X and all other functions work correctly.  HELP !

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by David Hendon

When you turn the Core on again and find the metadata missing, if you select that Album in the app and then select edit metadata, is Custom still selected and if not if you select Custom are the edits still there?

The other thing that might be worth trying is a full restart of the Core. So turn it off, pull the mains for ten seconds or so and then turn it on again.

best

David

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by john V

I tried what you suggested, deselected and reselected “Custom” ,  the data that I had entered did not reappear.  I’ll try the restart and let you know . I’m beginning to think that there is a glitch in the App that needs some work.  Could the problem be that I’m trying to enter info for a “home made” disc that has no metadata on it to begin with ?   So I’m adding data and not editing.   Thanks for your response .

I don’t think there is  glitch in the app (I use the IOS app and can’t speak for the Android app).

I don’t see why a home burned CD shouldn’t be metadata editable because if you rip a CD the Core doesn’t recognise then there will be no metadata then either. But the album does have a number which appears in the album name field. You can’t edit this number. I imagine the edits you make are associated with this number. Does your home-made album have a number in the album field? If not then I think that is going to be the problem.

In that case you probably want to copy the rip to the downloads folder and then delete it using the app from the Music/MQ folder. Then you could use and outboard editor program to add the metadata.

best

David

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by nbpf
john V posted:

I'm still having trouble adding metadata (name of album and artist) for CDs that my Uniti Core doesn't recognize. I follow directions to the letter.  I go to "edit metadata" , select "custom", add title and artist and press "save".  Everything looks fine. I go to the CD lists and all the info is there.  Then the next time that I turn the Core on, everything that I added is gone and it again says "unknown".  I must be doing something wrong.   The CDs that I am trying to name are compilations made on a CD recorder -- could that be the problem ?  I am using an iPhone X and all other functions work correctly.  HELP !

Not necessarily. It is perfectly conceivable that the Core's software is doing something wrong. Have you tried to get in touch with the Naim technical support?

I didn’t know that was even possible. I thought that we were dependent on forums for technical advice .

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Your first point of contact should be your dealer or Naim. See the box at the bottom right of the Forum front page. 

The albums in question do have a number. I’ve tried naming the album and leaving the number intact.  That didn’t help.  I’ve gone to “finder” on my MacBook and found the Uniti Core. I was able to see all of my albums but saw no way to edit the names on the computer

You can’t edit anything in the Music folders of the Core. If you were successful in doing so you would probably break the indexing that the Core does of music in its Music Store.

Thst’s why I said copy it to the Downloads folder in the Core because you are allowed to edit metadata in that folder. You have to use a metadata editor program running on your PC/Mac. The one people mention most often is dBPoweramp but I don’t know whether that is available for a Mac. No doubt someone else will come along and confirm that.

best

David

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by ChrisSU
David Hendon posted:

Thst’s why I said copy it to the Downloads folder in the Core because you are allowed to edit metadata in that folder. You have to use a metadata editor program running on your PC/Mac. The one people mention most often is dBPoweramp but I don’t know whether that is available for a Mac. No doubt someone else will come along and confirm that.

On a Mac I find Metadatics excellent for editing metadata. If you want ripping software etc. as well, I’d use DBpoweramp. 

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by SpyderTracks
ChrisSU posted:
David Hendon posted:

On a Mac I find Metadatics excellent for editing metadata. If you want ripping software etc. as well, I’d use DBpoweramp. 

+1 for DBPowerAmp, very simple to use and can do bulk editing, plus all the conversion tools and ripping tools, it's brilliant.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by john V

As suggested by David H  , I pulled the AC cable and did a full restart on the Core.  Eureka !  , it appears to have worked .  It’s been 3 hours and my added data is still intact.  Fingers crossed !

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by David Hendon

Good. I would be very surprised if this happened again soon, but anyway a full restart only takes half a minute or so.

best

David