Aston Martin Valkyrie

Posted by: rsch on 12 December 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8ZrN__nmA

See this video with Hernry Catchpole (also Evo mag. resident) at Cosworth premises

It seems they are at the end of the engine finalization. 

I was already aware about its level of  aerodynamics and packaging sophisticaton but not so about the engine in a such low volume car. 

Contrary to the AMG project one, should also have a better durability.

Of course for many of us ( probably Statment owners included) car like this  are quite irrilevant.

However, we can consider this project like this like a milestone for structural packaging, aerodynamics and weight reduction.

I think that Adrian Newey, along with Gordon Murray are the most talented genius of the automotive world. And my hope is to see in the future a little trickle down of  such visionary concept into big volume production cars. In a world where pretty much every new model generation is  bigger and fatter than the old one

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by rodwsmith

But is it petrol or diesel?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by rsch

Are we supposed to laugh ?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by French Rooster

not specially nice this Valkyrie, for my eyes....but probably very performing.   I prefer the look of the one 77.  Looks more impressive....and stylish.

One 77 and Valkyrie is like apple and oranges. The former is more gt oriented than supercar, very elegant although fitted with an highly tuned V12 and chassis with inborard pushroad suspensions.

The latter, along with the AMG Project One  represent the new paradigm of hypercars. They are the closest things to  Formula 1 cars for the road. This project project is more Red Bull and Adrian Newey brainchild than Aston Martin itself

ok Risch, i understand.  They can’t be finally compared.

My pleasure !

i like the design of aston martin.  Just regret they can’t produce their own motors.....( mercedes amg).

Yes, but even if they don't have their own, relying with a motorsport company like Cosworth is not bad at all. For example one of the most celebrated cars like the Mac Laren F, sported a BMW motorsport engine. New Mac Laren engines are built by Ricardo

The Project One engine is actually a detuned version of the F1 car.

rsch posted:

Yes, but even if they don't have their own, relying with a motorsport company like Cosworth is not bad at all. For example one of the most celebrated cars like the Mac Laren F, sported a BMW motorsport engine. New Mac Laren engines are built by Ricardo

The Project One engine is actually a detuned version of the F1 car.

So Mc laren doesn’t make their own motors too!  i didn’t know. I am surprised.   Don’t tell me that Lamborghini or Ferrari don’t make also their own motors, i will be very disappointed.

To be honest i have no car at all.  No need where i live. We rent some sometimes just.  But i like to see some tv shows like “ top gear “ or “fifth gear”.   it would be cool to have tv shows for high end audio too....

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by MDS

Really interesting video.  The glimpse of the car reminded me of the Batmobile and I wasn't sure about the Cosworth guy's taste in shirts but oh, what an engine!  

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by rsch

Yes, Mac Laren engines are built on their specification by Ricardo, bear in mind that such company was responsable for engineering and production of the Bugatti Veyron gearbox not exactly a cottage car manufacture but the giant VW group.

Current Mc Laren line up relies on the 3.8 and 4 litre V8 turbo flat plane crank engine very similar to Ferrari 488 GTB one.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Biddler66
rsch posted:

I think that Adrian Newey, along with Gordon Murray are the most talented genius of the automotive world. And my hope is to see in the future a little trickle down of  such visionary concept into big volume production cars. In a world where pretty much every new model generation is  bigger and fatter than the old one

I would add John Barnard to this list. First with a carbon tub and pioneer of "flappy paddle" gearboxes, plus numerous smaller achievements that have filtered down to road cars.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by rsch
Biddler66 posted:
rsch posted:

I would add John Barnard to this list. First with a carbon tub and pioneer of "flappy paddle" gearboxes, plus numerous smaller achievements that have filtered down to road cars.

Absolutely!

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by tonym
rsch posted:

Are we supposed to laugh ?

I did.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Tony Lockhart

Please please please

McLaren

pretty please 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Tony Lockhart

As regards the origin of the engine used in McLaren’s road cars from the 12C onwards, this is from Wikipedia:

”McLaren bought the rights to the Tom Walkinshaw Racing developed engine, itself based on the Nissan VRH engine architecture, which was designed for the IRL Indycar championship but never raced. However, other than the 93 mm bore, little of that engine remains in the M838T. In only 18 months, Ricardo went from a clean sheet of paper to a running prototype.”

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by rsch

A few years ago a saw a video of an acoustic engineer working for Mc Laren,  selecting a sample of engines (including a Honda 4 pot Vtec) to fine tune the MP4 C12 engine. 

I also remember an Evo mag. road test including Ferrari 458 and MP4, as far as i heard, the latter sounded very fine for a turbo with a nice high pitched note.  I don't understand some journos criticizing this one when they praize some American or European V8 engines burbling and farting like fish boats.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Biddler66

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPBdBIFGNQ

Thats a sound !

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISbk3Xy20Q

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Biddler66
rsch posted:

Thanks for that, 20 mins well spent ! must admit the N/A cars are the ones that float my boat though.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Tony Lockhart

RSCH

McLaren. 

Please. 

Biddler66 posted:
rsch posted:

Thanks for that, 20 mins well spent ! must admit the N/A cars are the ones that float my boat though.

Absolutely agree! Especially the  La Ferrari sound is absolutely gorgeus. The 488 fells like a vacum cleaner in comparison.

Over the last few days had a clutch failure on my Toyota IQ daily driver. Its 1.0 3 pot engine with 68 ps is way more engaging and alert than our family MIni one 102 ps which is in comparison seems an appliance on wheels. On the other hand my Porsche 718 is much more similar to a normally aspirated engine. 

Regards

Roberto

Look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtgOYKquRns

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KizbiSkTAo

What a music !

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by DIL

1969 - somewhere in Italy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zg8PWdVWM0

Unfortunatley not a great deal of the engine sound. Nevermind...

/dl

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse
DIL posted:

1969 - somewhere in Italy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zg8PWdVWM0

Unfortunatley not a great deal of the engine sound. Nevermind...

/dl

oooh, thanks for posting the Miura sequence. Just lovely. The ultimate louche Italian supercar.

This thread is making me want to remove my old car from its winter cocoon and play some good V8 tunes. No popping and farting there!

Bruce