BubbleUPnP - Repeating same track loop

Posted by: Obsydian on 12 December 2018

Hello, this is driving me nuts, whenever i select/add a new playlist or album, it queue's fine, i can see all the tracks in the playlist, but it just repeats the same track continuously, unless i manually intervene and select the next track, then same again just repeats.

Double checked all my settings, tried selecting, deselecting repeat functions, but makes no difference.

i am using BubbleuPnP on a Pi3 with Qobuz.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by gert

Which streamer are you using? If it is a new uniti device: Those do not support gapless playback. So you should not check the checkbox "gapless playback" in the bubble upnp server for this streamer. Otherwise exactly the behaviour occurs that you describe.

to be more precise: Certainly the new uniti models do support gapless playback. But only if playing a playlist that is managed from the uniti itself. A playlist that is controlled from outside (in this case the bubble upnp server) is not possible to be played gaplessly.

If you have an older uniti (like uniti1, uniti2, superuniti, etc.) this should not be a problem.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Obsydian

Thanks GERT - it is a Nova, i was aware of the Gapless issue reading up on the forum, but thought my issue was unrelated.

I have unchecked gapless in all the Bubble settings, same issue just repeats the same damn track.

Might try uninstalling the Bubble app and then try fresh.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by ChrisSU

What control app are you using? On Lumin, if you press and hold the album, not the track, and select play from the (slightly cryptic) row of options, it should play the whole album. If you’re used to the Naim app, you might just tap on the album to open it as a track list, and try to play it from there, but it doesn’t work this way. 

Android BubbleUPnP app, i have added all tracks to the playlist, but only plays the selected track over and over.

Just did the uninstall of the app in case i changed something i should not have, but issue remains

BTW: Sometimes this issue happens in my system with a superuniti, too. I do not know what exactly happens in this case. Usually everything is playing fine, but in rare situations the track repeating problem occurs. I did not try to analyze this yet, because usually everything is working as expected.

I do not think that reinstalling the bubble server does help. (But it will not hurt.) A complete stop and start of the bubble server should be enough.

Otherwise you could try to connect the bubble upnp server developer via the XDA forum that is linked from the bubble's web site.

But you did not activate the track repeat in the naim app?

gert posted:

But you did not activate the track repeat in the naim app?

BINGO - soon as you said that i thought i had left the Naim app set to repeat, now solved 

Many thanks GERT and CHRISSU, it is what i have always loved about this forum, yes "some" dealers are Naim freaks and know every detail, but I always look to the forum.

To be honest since going RasPi UPnP i have never used the Naim app again 

Right my two days working from home listening is now frustration free 

Spoke to soon now randomly stops after 1 or a few tracks later, assume this is the much discussed Gapless issue.

Is the raspi (the bubble upnp server that is controlling the track advancing) connected to the streamer via ethernet (hard wired) or WIFI?

The gapless checkbox in the bubble server still is turned off for the uniti? (It should be!)

GERT - i closed both apps, let the Nova to go into standby waited, fired everything back up, fingers crossed last hour has worked fine.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by dknk

There is a way around the gapless issue with your Nova but it means adding another pi with a DigiOne or DigiOne Signature attached to it into the mix. Or, adding a DigiOne card to your existing pi. You could snap that on to your existing pi, it has a bnc/spdif out that you could connect to your Nova bnc input. You would need to add a few programs to the pi to enable a UPNP renderer and music player. mpd is the media player program and upmpdcli is the UPNP front end to mpd. upmpdcli would handle the gapless issue nicely and pass the music to mpd. mpd would then push the music out to the DigiOne card which in turn would feed into your Nova bnc input. Bubbleupnpserver can be running on the same device I guess. However, for separation and simplicity, I have two pi's, one with bubbleupnpserver running and the other pi with DigiOne and mpd / upmpdcli. It's a bit more work, the install is straightforward. I can understand that this may not be something you want to do just to get gapless, however.

So far it does randomly but very occasionally just stop after a track.

The gapless bit actually does not bother me.

DKNK, this is interesting. But what do you need the bubble upnp server in this setup for? Doesn't mpd/upmpdcli offer an openhome managed playlist functionality already? (I am not sure, but I thought it would.) Or is this not enough for being able to stream from qobuz, etc.?

Obsydian, is the raspi connected to your uniti via LAN cable or wifi? If it is wifi it might be an unreliable connection for the bubble server watching for the end of the currently playing track? So you could test if connecting it by an ethernet cable has a better result?

Hi GERT, LAN connection.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by dknk
gert posted:

DKNK, this is interesting. But what do you need the bubble upnp server in this setup for? Doesn't mpd/upmpdcli offer an openhome managed playlist functionality already? (I am not sure, but I thought it would.) Or is this not enough for being able to stream from qobuz, etc.?

Right, you don't really need bubble for this, you can use upmpdcli directly with Tidal / Qobuz and it will pass the flac tracks to mpd and unmodified on to the DigiOne to the Nova,. He has Bubble already set up and it's being used as wav transcoder and relay for Qobuz via the BubbleUpnp app. I was thinking just leave that alone and pass the bubble transcoded wav file to mpd via upmpdcli. Just another way, not as complicated as it may seem. Is it the best way? maybe, maybe not.

Of course this is all moot if Naim releases a firmware update for the Nova to fix it's unfortunate gapless issue. I don't own a Nova and find it hard to believe it doesn't do gapless. Is this correct, no gapless support at all? Anyone?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Obsydian posted:

Android BubbleUPnP app, i have added all tracks to the playlist, but only plays the selected track over and over.

Just did the uninstall of the app in case i changed something i should not have, but issue remains

I had wrongly assumed in my previous post that you were using BubbleUPnP server but it seems you are not? Depending on what you are trying to get from this, would it be a better option, especially if it will let you play a whole album?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by gert

"BubbleuPnP on a Pi3" can only be the server. Without a bubble server my suggestions would have been nonsense and I am sure Obsydian would have told me.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Obsydian

Correct Bubbleupnp Pi3b.

Issue is now all but resolved, I get the occasional it just stops into a long playlist, but this afternoon that seemed to be the bubble app asking to enter my Qobuz password again

As GERT diagnosed it was actually my Naim app setting that was the issue, I had that set to repeat playlist/album, for some reason the bubble app would just repeat the same track over and over.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by gert
Obsydian posted:
I had that set to repeat playlist/album, for some reason the bubble app would just repeat the same track over and over.

This is understandable: The Bubble UpnP Server tells the uniti which track to play. So it pushes only one track into the uniti's playlist. Now the bubble server watches the uniti if it is still playing this track. When the uniti has finished this track, the server replaces the one track in the playlist by the next one.

So at any time there is only one track in the uniti's playlist. If the uniti now is set up to repeat this track, the bubble server never sees the uniti having stopped playing, so it never pushes the next track into the playlist.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Obsydian

Thanks GERT yes I realised after each track the Nova goes back to the home screen for 1 - 2 secs and then the next track queue.