Demo Music Suggestions

Posted by: ChrisR_EPL on 12 December 2018

Renewed an old friendship recently; naturally enough we got on to audio stuff so I now need to plan for a demo to show the stereo in a good light. There are a few tracks on my NAS that always sound good [as distinct from just being good music] and a bit of Googling has also thrown up some suggestions. But you’re the people who know Naim and probably have go-to tracks that show it at its best, so over to you. Recommendations sought for good demo music to play please. 

Limitations: I’m Tidal + NAS only these days and don’t plan to rush out to buy & rip CDs for the job. And we’re both 70s rockers, including [esp?] prog rock. But that’s not key here; in this case the sound is.

Cheers gang.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by AndyP19

Youn Sun Nah's album - She Moves On (particularly the Hendrix track Drifting).

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Rich 1

Why not ask your friend to bring some music round as well! Rich 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Mainly because there's no CD player or tt these days and most of his collection is on vinyl & cassette anyway. As mentioned though, part of the reason [and his interest] is in seeing what's good about a few black boxes, not having a chance to listen to some familiar music. That'll be part of it I expect, but even now it's becoming a thing, and rather than popping round for a thorough test it ought to be a relaxed opportunity to demo it with something that gives it a chance to shine, then potentially go off on a tangent. 

Tbh given the popularity of the What Are You Listening To... thread I half expected a stack of replies from people keen to pass on their best selections that fit this bill. Just one suggestion has surprised me a bit tbh.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by AndyP19
ChrisR_EPL posted:

Tbh given the popularity of the What Are You Listening To... thread I half expected a stack of replies from people keen to pass on their best selections that fit this bill. Just one suggestion has surprised me a bit tbh.

Ha ha, I knew that was going to be the case as I asked a similar question a while back and like you thought I'd be indundated with great suggestions but nada, not a sausage.

Funny old forum this is... but that's life as Esther used to say.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Thanks Andy. I think I may have found that one when I did a search before putting this one up. 

I'll stick some Patrick Moraz on and leave him to it.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Here are four songs I often play to people to show how ‘good’ the stereo is: Questions in a world of Blue, by Michael Wollny from the Nachtfahrten album, Radioactivity from Kaftwerk’s Minimum Maximum live album, Ball and Biscuit from the White Stripes Elephant album, and To Hell With Poverty, by the Gang of Four from their Return the Gift album. Then we usually stick on some chamber music and chat. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Timmo1341

Jazz At The Pawnshop, any of the 3 volumes, by Arne Domérus. I appreciate it’s jazz not prog rock, but it’s probably the best live recording I’ve ever heard, and needs a good setup to shine.

(I’ve just noticed we have identical systems apart from the speakers!).