Dr upgrade or SL DIN to XLR

Posted by: best_jerry on 12 December 2018

Current system is: CDS3/XPS2/252/300, all power supply is non dr version, already using SL interconnect cable and SL speaker cable. Now considering to buy a SL din to xlr cable for my 300 in order to complete full loop concept, or upgrade my 300 to dr version, which option you would prefer?

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Dave J

Without doubt DR the 300, it’s a fabulous upgrade. I’d also recommend DR’ing your Supercap before upgrading your Din/XLRs.

When it comes time to consider changing the Din/XLR cables, you might also consider hearing the ChordMusic version, which, as a pair, are quite similar in price but in a higher league performance-wise.

Cheers

Dave

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Robert Burgess

When I up-graded the din-xlr to SuperLumina for my 250DR I didn't notice that much of an improvement. Previously I had up-graded to SL speaker cables, which was a big improvement. Given that, I think I'd go for a DR upgrade and servicing of the 300 power amp first.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Huge

A big (but very inexpensive) upgrade to the single channel Naim DIN to XLR cables is to get a pair made up using Mogami W2497.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Foot tapper

Oh, this is an easy one: 300DR.

Slightly provocatively, trade in the XPS for a 555PS on the CDS3.  That's what I did after audition.

Enjoy! FT

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by analogmusic

300 Dr for sure. 

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by feeling_zen

There should be a warning on all DR upgrades that tell you it is categorically a different power amp and that you should choose to DR or not exactly as if you were buying a new amp.

I won't dispute the huge benefit of the DR upgrade. I had it done on a 250 and it was a massive lift. However, the DR amps are significantly different. As a result, it is not true that you can simply swap a non DR amp for a DR version into a system and get a guarantee of results that you like. Presumably, you chose your speakers to match your pre and power amp at the time, or perhaps chose the 300 to match your speakers. DRing an amp effectively changes one of those variables and there is no guarantee of the same synergy.

So I would ask for a demo first. I don't say this lightly. When I DRed my 250, it broke the spell. The DR version just did not get on with my speakers (which worked great with the older 250.2) and a DR upgrade led to a speaker change too. After all, you wouldn't buy a GBP7000 power amp unheard on a punt would you?

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Skip

The first Naim upgrade I did was to put a 555PS on my CDS2 and this upgrade was as dramatic as any we have ever done among all our Naim boxes.   You will be shocked at the upgrade vs the XPS2.  I respect a man on a mission to upgrade his cables and amp but the 555PS should be high on your list, particularly if the CDS3 is your primary source.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by best_jerry

After reading the replies that most of the members are prefer dr the 300 amp.

There is another question, which one on below you would prefer for the first step:

1)Change the XPS2 to 555PS

2)Dr the supercap2

3)Dr the 300 

4)Dr the XPS2

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by feeling_zen

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by bongoman

1, 2 then 3

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by fathings cat

Interesting, not much love for completing the full loom with SL. Is that because the DR on the 300 is miles better or completing the full loom is not that great?

Gary

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Foot tapper

1 then 3. 

I've never enjoyed a system with a 252 in it, despite trying on a number of occasions, but if you get on with your 252 then 1 first followed by either 2 or 3.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
best_jerry posted:

After reading the replies that most of the members are prefer dr the 300 amp.

There is another question, which one on below you would prefer for the first step:

1)Change the XPS2 to 555PS

2)Dr the supercap2

3)Dr the 300 

4)Dr the XPS2

The trouble with asking these questions is that after getting many answers you will be none the wiser. All I’d say is that DR and SL cables work extraordinarily well together, with a wonderful ease of presentation and totally black backgrounds. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I presume your endgame here is a system with 1) or 4), plus 2) and 3) all done. The first thing I’d do is get to a dealer where you can demo this system, and make sure it is what you want. Otherwise making these incremental upgrades in isolation might not take your system to what your ears tell you is the best place for you. 

For example, what if you got to hear your current system with a either a CD555, or a 552? You might decide that was a better change to make. Dealers can make these decisions easier for you, whereas here, we will probably just confuse you with a bunch of opinions!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Richieroo

dr

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by analogmusic

Dr the nap 300

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Svetty

If the CDS3 is your main/only source I'd probably suggest the 555PS as your first upgrade - in DR flavour if possible. If you have a variety of sources then perhaps DR'ing the SC might come first, then the 555PS......