Uniti volume

Posted by: blodsbror on 12 December 2018

Hi all,

I’m looking at purchasing one of the New Uniti models. However, I’ve always been a bit concerned when it comes to integrated amps with onboard streaming services - and how how volume control is handled/implemented.

is it possible to set/force a “default initial volume” when playback starts for Spotify for example (or any other input for that matter) ? From experience, if the volume slider on your Spotify client (phone for example) happens to be very high, then playback will be almost full volume, and it’s not something you want to always have to check. Whereas, I would like it to start playback of any source at 30 for instance, regardless of what any clients are telling it.

It seems like a small thing, but this behaviour is make or break for me. Otherwise it’s down the route of integrated and external streamer. 

Thanks for your input! (No pun intended).

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by hifi-dog

It depends on if you ever turn it full off and not in standby. In standby it remains at whatever vol it was left at...full off when it re boots on turn on I think the slider on the app stays where you left it. 

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Philipp vH

I haven't seen such a feature on my Atom.

It does have a "limiter" on the max-volume; it's default is at 80, and with it you can adjust the "max" as seen from any streaming source with volume control. (Though this limits your maximum volume as well.  So only useful to cut volumes, you're sure you don't want regularly access to.)

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by blodsbror

Right, I had a feeling there was a max volume limiter, which can save you from killing your speakers with an unfortunate slip of a Spotify volume slider
But yes, I've owned a Devialet Pro 130 before, and that had the feature, of setting initial playback of all sources to a specified level - when streamer playback wakes it from standby. 

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by JoNor

My Uniti Atom has sometimes suddenly gone straight to Volume 100 for no reason other than changing songs using Spotify. Really scary when it happens. Hopefully my speakers have not been damaged.