iOS app - success using without WiFi?

Posted by: JoNor on 12 December 2018

Anyone been successful using the app without WiFi - connecting a iPad/iPhone through USB and internet sharing?
Every other app seems to find its way to my home network as well as internet. Can't get the Naim iOS app to find the Uniti Atom. WiFi only?

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Kind of very unlikely this would work... the Naim app requires true Ethernet or Wifi access.. and uses multicast groups for discovery.. so if you had a true Ethernet adapter for your iOS device and you plugged that into a switch you might fare better

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Bart
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Kind of very unlikely this would work... the Naim app requires true Ethernet or Wifi access.. and uses multicast groups for discovery.. so if you had a true Ethernet adapter for your iOS device and you plugged that into a switch you might fare better

I think that Darke Bear has posted that he does something like this. So far I think that's the only account here I've read of someone using an iOS device, but NOT via wifi, with the Naim App.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by ChrisSU

You can use a lightning to Ethernet lead to connect an iOS device to the network. I believe DB does this so that he can turn off his home wifi entirely as he found this to improve sound quality on his ND555.

I doubt either Apple or Naim would ever have expected anyone to use an iOS device without wifi, and the Naim app can need prompting to connect this was each time you open it.