Mogami 2965 cable.

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 12 December 2018

I'm looking for a 4 pin din - 2 RCA cable to connect 82/SC to non Naim power amp and have seen these on eBay £30 for 0.5 m.  I currently use a Gotham GAC which I also bought fro eBay any advice or reccomendations very welcome.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Huge

As you have a SC, I'd use two Mogami W2497 DIN4 -> RCA cables.

W2965 is pretty good, but W2497 is very good indeed - it easily beats even Mogami W2549.  (I've tried both connecting a 272/555DR to a 300DR.)

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ROOG
Huge posted:

W2965 is pretty good, but W2497 is very good indeed - it easily beats even Mogami W2549.  (I've tried both connecting a 272/555DR to a 300DR.)

Hi Huge,

I'm interested in making some new interconnects to try as an alternative to the Naim 'flexes' and I was wondering where you can get Mogami W2497 in the UK or Europe? 

Hi Roog,

You won't be able to use DIN to XLR W2497 cables.

I believe the SU has only 1 pre out DIN and 2xW2497 are much too fat to fit into a single DIN plug.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ROOG

Hi Huge,

Agreed, it is a bit of a squeeze getting two flexes into a 4 pin DIN let alone a pair of 8mm dia coax. However it would be possible to use the Phono outs. 

I have a bunch of cables, some terminated in DIN and others terminated in Phono, they both seem to work fine. I just fancied making a set using the much discussed Mogami cables.

Following my post, I have contacted HHB Communications with regard to buying some W2497 and they have replied with a quote, but I have not as yet tested whether they would be prepared to sell to me. The prospect of buying through the Firm doesn't fill me with joy as I usually manage to fall foul of some company rule even if i try to pay using my credit card. 

I just wondered whether you knew where I, ( a private punter) could get some W2497 ? 

Cheers Paul :0)

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Huge posted:

Hi Roog,

I believe the SU has only 1 pre out DIN and 2xW2497 are much too fat to fit into a single DIN plug.

Huge, out of curiosity, snooping at your profile I see you have 550mm Mogami interconnects. Naim refuse to make short leads at all, and Chord state clearly that their DIN interconnects, being primarily for Naim boxes, are made a little longer for sound quality reasons. Any opinion on this?

ROOG posted:

Hi Huge,

I just wondered whether you knew where I, ( a private punter) could get some W2497 ? 

HHB in the UK sell to privateers, as do Redco in the USA (and they post to the UK).

ChrisSU posted:
Huge posted:

Hi Roog,

Huge, out of curiosity, snooping at your profile I see you have 550mm Mogami interconnects. Naim refuse to make short leads at all, and Chord state clearly that their DIN interconnects, being primarily for Naim boxes, are made a little longer for sound quality reasons. Any opinion on this?

I believe that is appropriate for the classic series preamps, but the 272 has a different (more modern style) of output structure (it's a split rail  rather than single rail amp).

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Huge posted:

HHB in the UK sell to privateers, as do Redco in the USA (and they post to the UK).

When I was making up some balanced interconnects earlier this year, using Mogami cable, I was looking at those, then found some on Amazon.at a reasonable price and straightforward to buy - but I had to wade through lots of made-up cables to find the cut lengths.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bob the Builder
Huge posted:

Hi Huge

Thanks for that I might have a go at making them myself as I have been practicing my soldering skills lately. Once I have the cables if it is ok I might ask for your help again.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Huge posted:
ChrisSU posted:
Huge posted:

Hi Roog,

I believe that is appropriate for the classic series preamps, but the 272 has a different (more modern style) of output structure (it's a split rail  rather than single rail amp).

Thanks Huge, just looking for ways to keep the spaghetti behind the rack under control!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Huge
Bob the Builder posted:
Huge posted:

Hi Huge

Thanks for that I might have a go at making them myself as I have been practicing my soldering skills lately. Once I have the cables if it is ok I might ask for your help again.

Sure, but be warned, W2497 isn't the easiest stuff to work with, you may need rather a lot of patience to get it right.

The strands of the inner tube are very fine and without using an adjustable stripping tool it's quite hard to remove the cellular insulation cleanly without cutting some of them.  I made a tool by modifying a tool designed to strip coax so that it could be precisely adjusted using a limit screw as well as using the cut depth adjuster screw.  Spring based 'automatic' coax strippers won't do the job.  A hot knife may be another possibility, but I haven't tried this so I don't know if it will just push the insulation into the strands of the inner tube.

The outer screen is also quite thick when the strands are bunched together for soldering.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ROOG
Huge posted:
ROOG posted:

Hi Huge,

Thank you Huge, yes HHB  have agreed to sell to me!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

Huge,

I hope you do not mind my picking your brains I am going to build two sets of stereo 2 rca- 2 rca interconnects using Mogami 2497 cable these are to connect my phono stage to my UQ2 and then my UQ2 to a non Naim power amp.

I know you have built Din cables using this cable and have been very pleased with them, which solder did you use?

As mine are RCA they are slightly different but I will use either Neutrik or Amphenol RCA plugs which ever are more easily available. I have received a quote from HHB for the cable which for 4 meters was around £60 as I presume I need two lefts an two rights and with the 8 plugs they should come in at about £35 a pair which is more than reasonable.

Once I have the cables and plugs and am ready to build them I will post on this thread for advice .

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Huge

Hi, I wouldn't recommend either of the Neutrik or Amphenol RCA connectors, neither are a good quality match for the W2497 cable (I have used Neutrik RCAs on other less critical leads, e.g. for connecting mobile devices via their 3.5mm headphone jack socket).

Rather, for low to mid priced connectors I suggest the MS Audio Star Line connectors.  I have used them for some RCA leads for someone else, and they proved very successful.  If you can afford to splash out a bit more then I would recommend ETI research or WBT NextGen connectors.

For the solder I used a Sn / 3.8Ag / 0.7Cu, manufactured by Stanol.