Streaming woes

Posted by: spurrier sucks on 13 December 2018

The downside of streaming just occurred. My NAS HD just crashed. I do have a couple of backups but it is still a PIA. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ChrisSU

If your backup is also on a NAS, with a server running, you can keep the music playing while you get the other one fixed, so I don’t really see this as a downside of streaming. All mechanical devices break down sooner or later, and I’d rather run two NAS drives than two CD players or turntables. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by French Rooster

storage, nas, hdd, ....seem to be the weak link in streaming. I hope my unitserve ‘ s hdd will not broke soon......has 3 years now.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by spurrier sucks
ChrisSU posted:

If your backup is also on a NAS, with a server running, you can keep the music playing while you get the other one fixed, so I don’t really see this as a downside of streaming. All mechanical devices break down sooner or later, and I’d rather run two NAS drives than two CD players or turntables. 

Backups are 2 external HDs. I guess this time I’ll put a HD in both bays. Solid state maybe. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bart
spurrier sucks posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Backups are 2 external HDs. I guess this time I’ll put a HD in both bays. Solid state maybe. 

A good friend who works in the IT space has the opinion that for my music server use, ssd's are not the right choice.  Cost + mtf (mean time to failure) = tried and true hdd's. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bailyhill

I spent 7 years working in Advance Development for a Hard Drive company.  All my storage is SSD.!   The IT space is too vast for the expense of SSD's, but they are a coming fast.  Eventually I expect HDD's to be a thing of the past.  

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by DomTomLondon

There is little difference in performance between SSD and HDD in a NAS device. Although you can use SSDs to Cache files, which can speed up searching large libraries of data. I have a 4 Bay Qnap and I use an SSD in one bay for that very reason. The other advantage is that SSD are silent, so you will not hear them spin up when they're in use. This could be useful, if the NAS is in the same room as your Hi-Fi and especially if you have one of the Silent NAS devices to begin with.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bart
Bailyhill posted:

I spent 7 years working in Advance Development for a Hard Drive company.  All my storage is SSD.!   The IT space is too vast for the expense of SSD's, but they are a coming fast.  Eventually I expect HDD's to be a thing of the past.  

Thanks for the insight.  What makes you pick ssd's?  And do you get a discount or do you pay retail like the rest of us chumps? 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bailyhill

I pay retail for my SSD's.  The company no longer exists, as it became part of Seagate.  The company I worked for did not make SSD's.  

I chose SSD's as they are faster than HDD's and they have been more reliable.  HDD's may have an advantage with big continuous files and SSD's much faster for small files.  Today, the SSD's are pretty fast write.  

Bailyhill

I had a WD Red 4TB. Should I be looking at an alternative or get another one?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by nbpf
spurrier sucks posted:

The downside of streaming just occurred. My NAS HD just crashed. I do have a couple of backups but it is still a PIA. 

This has nothing to do with streaming. Hardware failures occur. Running a UPnP or a Roon server on a NAS might seem very natural at a first glance but it is almost never a good idea. Keep copies of your music collection on cheap HDDs. If you use a UPnP server, always have two Raspberry Pi devices at hand that run that UPnP server. In case of a failure, just swap the drive or the Pi. If you run a Roon server things are a bit more complicated but again, try to keep backup duties, serving duties and maintenance duties well separated.

spurrier sucks posted:
ChrisSU posted:

If you put the two drives in different enclosures, in separate locations, you’ll have a backup in place. I don’t see why you would put the drives in the same NAS, as you then have no backup protection against fire, flood, theft, or whatever internal meltdown might occur (again) in the NAS enclosure. 

ChrisSU posted:
spurrier sucks posted:
ChrisSU posted:

If you put the two drives in different enclosures, in separate locations, you’ll have a backup in place. I don’t see why you would put the drives in the same NAS, as you then have no backup protection against fire, flood, theft, or whatever internal meltdown might occur (again) in the NAS enclosure. 

I will put 2 HDDs in the NAS. 1 in each bay. I only had 1 prior to the crash. Think I can run RAID 0 for mirroring? Plus I have 2 external HDs as back up. 

Not sure why you’d want to use RAID 0? In theory, if I understand it correctly, if either of the two drives fail, you lose all data. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by nbpf
spurrier sucks posted:
ChrisSU posted:
spurrier sucks posted:
ChrisSU posted:

I will put 2 HDDs in the NAS. 1 in each bay. I only had 1 prior to the crash. Think I can run RAID 0 for mirroring? Plus I have 2 external HDs as back up. 

No, RAID 0 is a scheme for increasing performance, not redundancy. If you want to increase redundancy and data availability in case of disk failure you should use RAID 1. If you are not sure what you are doing, don't use any RAID scheme. Then you just have two drives that you can manage as you please.