QB - problem?

Posted by: al9315 on 13 December 2018

QB all works fine BUT

When reaching over to adjust volume, touching the top plate, there is a sensation on ones fingers as if it is not earthed properly ( a buzzy feeling)........?

I wonder if this is normal, or anyone has any suggestions.

Do I take it back to the shop?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by perttu

Something is wrong with your Qb. You should contact your dealer asap. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by PianoBasher

I get exactly the same. If I remove the power lead the top surface (by which I mean the area outside of the rotary control) feels smooth. But with the Qb powered there is a definite 'feeling' to it, as if the top surface is rough.

I also have a Muso (big brother to the Muso Qb) and this exhibits the same behaviour, although to a lesser extent.

The fact that both exhibit this behaviour leads me to assume that this is normal, although I can see no obvious reason why that should be.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by David Hendon

This is commonplace in consumer products that are not earthed but rather double-insulated. It’s not something to worry about unless it causes audible effects.

best

David

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Like a lot of consumer electronics, the Mu-Sos are double insulated with a floating their mains earth. Some people (like myself) are quite sensitive to the very slight tingling sensation you get off some kit like this when you touch it - particularly where proper metalwork is used instead of plastic, or touch sensitive controls are used. Others don't feel it at all.  I've not noticed it so much with the Mu-So, although the touch sensitive top control panel is the usual culprit, possibly down to how such things work.  However, I also get this much more on my Macbrook Pro when it's plugged in.  AFAIK it's quite OK and nothing to worry about - all this kit has to pass rigorous safety standards. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by al9315

Thank you all for your quick replies, very helpful !

My other half feels nothing, so perhaps I am just sensitive to this ?!

It works fine, so I think I will just use it !

Thanks again

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by perttu

Apologies for my rushed mistaken suggestion. Good to know all this if my Qb starts similar behaviour. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
al9315 posted:

QB all works fine BUT

When reaching over to adjust volume, touching the top plate, there is a sensation on ones fingers as if it is not earthed properly ( a buzzy feeling)........?

I wonder if this is normal, or anyone has any suggestions.

Do I take it back to the shop?

No worries, this is completely normal.

The Qb is a double insulated device, which means it’s chassis can float above true ground, and this difference you can feel... it is minuscule current.. and is common with nearly all double insulated devices with metal facials and services... . This is quite common with mental Apple laptops ... or even alarm clock radios for example...

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by trickydickie

I would be very nervous of a mental laptop, it sounds like artificial intelligence has gone wrong.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Fair point 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Just give it a nice relaxing facial and it’ll be fine, apparently!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by PianoBasher

Methinks I should avoid telling it I like it!