Upgrade Tonearm or Phono Stage

Posted by: mattchup on 13 December 2018

I’m trying to decide on an upgrade to my LP12.  I currently run a prefix powered by a supercap and am debating on upgrading my tonearm (Graham Robin) with Lin Krystal cartridge to a TigerPaw Javelin with the same cartridge or upgrade from the prefix to a SuperLine powered by the supercap. The Power Supply on the LP-12 is a Lingo 2.  Rest of the system is a 252/Supercap DR/300.

Thanks!

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by yeti42

Tonearm, if the javalin is as good as it seems. The superline will have you looking to upgrade the arm anyway.It forced me to get an Aro to keep it happy.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by RaceTripper

A significant tonearm upgrade will leave you feeling as if you upgraded the phonostage too. Do the tonearm first, IMHO.

Oddly enough, I just ordered a tonearm upgrade and it's the last of my changes of lately. But I did already have a tonearm more than worthy of my phonostage. Now I'll just have one even worthier.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Christopher_M

What's the full spec on your Linn, Matt?

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Mulberry

Hi,

as much as I like Graham tonearms, upgrading yours seems to be the better choice. Just make sure that the Javelin and Krystal are a good match.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Matteo

Your best bet is to Upgrade the motor first ...

a Lingo 3, 4 or an Akurate Radikal

M

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by mattchup

Outside of what I listed in my opening thread it;’s a pretty basic LP-12.  I do plan to upgrade to a Radikal but my dealer thought the biggest bang for the buck was to upgrade the tonearm first.  I do have the tiger paw tranquility installed as well.  Appreciate the feedback,

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Ron Toolsie

Those of us old enough to remember when dealers used to host Linn/Naim evenings will recall the demos of how an Ittok fitted with the Basik/Audio Technica cartridge spanked a lesser tonearm equipped with a Supex.When I got my first Linn with LVX and Basik, I found it uncomfortably brash, lumpy and unacceptably colored. Replacing the LVX with the Ittok a few months afterwards was like upgrading the cartridge, amp and speakers all at the same time. The Basik went from a Ford Fiesta to an E-type-it was that dramatic. Upgrading anywhere else would have been foolish. And this was with a pre Valhalla/pre corner braced LP12. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by stuart.ashen

Not your original question but I would go Radikal first. Biggest of all the Linn upgrades IMHO. 

Stu

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by overprint

I’ll second a previous comment - consider Lingo 4 first. I did this autumn.  Worth it. Great upgrade in every sonic aspect. I went from Lingo 1. 2019 may well be my year of a Superline or Uphorik but the ps change was a real eye (ear?) opener

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Clive B

I too would recommend the Radikal before changing the tonearm. I'm not sure if Linn is still offering it, but when I had the Radikal installed there was a bundle offer with the Urika, which works very well and saves a fair bit of money. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

I have tried several power supplies and motor combinations...upto and including DC 

As a first improvement I would get a better arm first ....and the javalin would be top of my list ...followed closely by one of the great arms from Jonney 7 (audio origami)

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Loki

Source first, or at least closest to it. The fact that you are asking the question suggests that you doubt that keeping the arm is a good idea. So arm first and then listen Lingo 4 /radikal. I hanker after the latter. Javelin is supposed to be good. Prefix on a Supercap is more than good enough.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Christopher_M
mattchup posted:

it;’s a pretty basic LP-12. 

Assuming there is no Cirkus, get one of those first. Then Lingo 4 or Radikal, depending on how far you want to take it.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by yeti42

All these options,  just ditch the lot for a well tempered and cut out the next 10 years of mucking about. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by gary yeowell

Just make sure the 'upgrade' is actually enjoyable and musically engaging as opposed to being superficial frills. Extra detail per se is not always more enjoyable. A week of home trial will sort it one way or the other.