My nice red BMW keeps getting damaged

Posted by: Komet on 14 December 2018

April 2017 I bought a 19-year-old BMW Z3 convertible after my 295,000km Ford Laser died. Red, low km's, in mint condition and all I could afford. 3 days later went to go home and a woman from work said it was lucky she saw it was me as she was thinking of keying it. Four days later found it had been scratched along the rear bumper for the width of the car. Another woman from work said she was relieved she had been sick that day so it couldn't have been her. Parked it in a different street and 6 weeks later found a deep gouge on the boot. Managed to get off-street parking but lost the genuine car cover in a gale. People saw it coming off and floating round the courtyard (and did nothing), but despite a lengthy search and advertising never found it.

Since then I've been careful not to leave it anywhere it might get damaged. But today had to park it on the street outside as a builder needed the driveway. Came home and found the side dented and scratched. Can't have been an accident as mirror sticks out more and that was untouched. Car cost me $8,000 NZ, which is cheaper than most other vehicles parked nearby, even if they don't look like it. Heard lots of horror stories about posh cars or new paint jobs being damaged since.  Couldn't afford comprehensive insurance as left work a few months ago due to getting chest pains. Got dire warnings from the doctor, told the boss and she said it wasn't a bad way to go...

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Jonners

Oh dear, sounds like you either live in a bad neighbourhood or are experiencing what many BMW drivers describe as the "joy of ownership", which is a general aversion to both the cars and their owners. I've driven Beemers for several years now, never suffered an act of vandalism but in general people aren't inclined to let me out of junctions and are generally pretty discourteous. If the Z3 is going to add to your stress levels then it ain't worth it, not with chest pains and all - get shot and get a Honda!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Huge

That's annoying, but hardly a capital offence!

A few years ago someone did the same to my Seat Leon, so it doesn't just apply to BMWs or other 'posh cars'.

(Incidentally as a side note, I'm vehemently opposed to any form of capital punishment.)

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Komet, I’m sorry to hear of the grief you have experienced with your car. However, I have changed the thread title to something more appropriate. I’m afraid that the original was not acceptable, even if it seemed like it was in the blind heat of rage and frustration.

p.s. Ironically I am typing this reply surrounded by some really nice classic BMWs down at Munich Legends in Sussex, while awaiting the servicing of my car...

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Not only do you seem to live in an area where people view red BMWs negatively, it seems it inspired similar feelings in your former workmates. Life is too short for this sort of angst, especially given your health issues, so I’d agree with Jonners and encourage you to get shot of it and get something a little less visible. I’m sure you’ve had fun zooming around in it, and those memories will remain. While this may be seen as giving in because of the behaviour of others, there is a lot to be said for a quiet life and I’m sure you would be happier as a result. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by james n

Komet - that's a great shame. One of the problems about having something nice and having to leave it out and about around the general public. Here in the UK, crappy potholed roads take the pleasure out of driving and a drop in driving standards and with drivers less inclined to leave details in the case of a scrape (or even be insured), it's easier to drive something non descript and not have to worry. I used to be a real petrol head and very precious about my cars but am happier these days to not worry - my 123D (the dog mobile) is 10 years old now (longest I've kept a car) and parking dings and minor scratches (the perils of parking anywhere these days) are no longer a worry.

Agree with the above - just get something that gives you a quiet life and removes extra worry.

James

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Rich 1

Let the punishment suit the crime, short of capital that is. Investigators make too many errors / assumptions for my liking. This type of mindless crime needs stamping on hard.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Huge

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time,
to make the punishment fit the crime
   the punishment fit the crime.

The prisoner shall repent
and willingly represent
a source of innocent merriment
   of innocent merriment.

(With apologies to W S Gilbert for any errors, as that was typed from memory.)