Good UK bank account for a small start-up business

Posted by: Kevin-W on 14 December 2018

Hi all

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent bank current account for a small UK-based start up. We won't need access to loan capital (for now), just somewhere to receive money and pay it out again. It's etremely unlikely that there will be cash transactions, so we won't necessarily need access to a physical branch. Main requirements are that they are fair, friendly, accessible and don't charge too much.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

K

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by fatcat

My son’s used Santander Business Current Account for approx 6 years without a problem.

I find them helpful and friendly, but I wasn’t too pleaded with them this morning. I put £500 cash into one of their machines, it chewed it up, tried to spit it back out, failed, then went into lockdown.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Rich 1

Fatcat, love your comment, made me smile. I do hope you don't have to many problems sorting it out though. Wish I had 500 to put in my 123 account, but it's gone on the hi-fi and a car! Cancelling Christmas this year, bah, humbug. Rich 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by fatcat

Rich,

I’m usually in favour of cancelling Christmas, but, santa is bringing me a Qb this year.

The 123 account pays a good interest rate, 1.5% on up to £20,000 savings (it used to pay 3%), however, I have to pay £500 into the account each month. So, I go into Santander each month, withdraw £500 from my Halifax account and immediately pay it into Santander.

I received a call from Andrea this morning at 9.05, informing me they’d counted the money in the machine overnight, and credited £500 to my account.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Pcd

I've had a Santander 123 account for several years and when I was made redundant some time ago decided to work for myself. I did use a Santander Business account  and must admit they were very helpful.

What I liked was your Business and Private Accounts were on the same page and you could switch between them easily and transfer money between them with ease as required.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by NewNaim16

Starling Bank works very well indeed and according to their website: "No fees for small businesses. If your small business has fewer than 10 employees and less than £1.7m turnover per year we won’t charge you any monthly account fees or any fees for electronic payments."