Superline / Supercap Owners... what interconnect?

Posted by: Zipperheadbanjo on 14 December 2018

Due to the connection limitations imposed by this combo (4 pin Din > 5 pin Din) I'm curious what interconnects are preferred by those have them in their system. I was using a Hiline until it broke (will get around to getting it repaired eventually)... now I'm using the standard Naim interconnect which actually sounds really really good. Superlumina isn't an option, and from what I've read on this forum likely won't be in the future. Curious what other options are out there that people have enjoyed or that offer good value for money.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Hook

I’m using the standard 4-5 DIN, but would buy SL if it ever became available.  I recall reading that there were “technical” challenges with delivering an SL 4-5 DIN, but no idea what they are. Chord doesn’t seem to have any problem doing so!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Filipe
Hook posted:

I’m using the standard 4-5 DIN, but would buy SL if it ever became available.  I recall reading that there were “technical” challenges with delivering an SL 4-5 DIN, but no idea what they are. Chord doesn’t seem to have any problem doing so!

The SL DIN to XLR has the required 4 pin. I’m sure Naim can fit a 5 pin instead of the XLR. You just have to ask whether its worth having a standard SNAIC and SL cable!

Phil

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Skip

I asked about a SL out of the Superline and was told they are not feasible because the cable is unacceptably noisy in a phono setting.   I asked Chord if they would reterminate a SuperAray (which I had as a result of upgrading my CD555 to 552 interconnect to a SL) to come out of the Superline into the 552 and they would not even consider it.  Our current HiLine does seem to work pretty well.

While we are on the subject, I am curious about a phono cable into the Superline from a phono DIN out of the Moerch DP6.  My old TG Audio phono cable works well.   I asked Lyra about their Phono Pipe but Jonathan Carr said it would fight with the Superline loading and be suboptimal as a result.  I had asked Naim (and AV Options) to do an Aro cable from the Moerch into the BNC on the Superline but they say they have no more cable to do that.   So I am status quo on the phono cable, both into and out of the Superline.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Back when I was powering my Prefix from a Supercap, I preferred the standard 4-5 interconnect over the prototype 4-5 Hiline I was evaluating. However, with a Superline in place of the Prefix, it could well have gone the other way. But I haven't done that comparison so I couldn't say for sure.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

HiLine works well for me. I’m sure there are better cables out there, but I enjoy music too much to care

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Franz K

I have just recently exchanged the standard naim 4/5 pin interconnect between the scdr for the sl to the pre with a chord music 4/5 pin. It’s quite amazing how much more musical information retrieved from the groove will come through, previously obliterated by the standard cable. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by yeti42

Standard interconnect here, should I bother trying a hiline?

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by garrybeardieman

I had the same problem when purchasing my new superline/supercap to go with my Rega RP10. No suitable Naim interconnect cable. Chord were very happy to make and lend me a selection of 4-5pin DIN cables through my dealer. Simply, the ChordMusic cable just blew me away. Infinitely superior to anything Naim would ever produce. The detail and musicality of this cable is wonderful. Yes, it's expensive but a year on my vinyl has never sounded this good. Since then, I have cabled all of my Naim setup with ChordMusic interconnects. The improvement is really substantial ! Chord cables make Naim equipment sound lovely. It has cost money; money I may have spent upgrading equipment and never got the same improvements. Looking back, I would suggest anyone look at superior interconnects BEFORE considering any equipment upgrades. You might be very surprised. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by FangfossFlyer

I used to use a Naim 4-5 pin Hiline but moved to a Chord Music last year and never looked back. The effect in my system was to move the whole performance and enjoyment up a level and in the direction I like.

Richard

p.s. The use of Cryogenic Airplugs and Chord Music interconnect makes me think, even more so, that the Superline has even more  potential.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Filipe
FangfossFlyer posted:

I used to use a Naim 4-5 pin Hiline but moved to a Chord Music last year and never looked back. The effect in my system was to move the whole performance and enjoyment up a level and in the direction I like.

Richard

p.s. The use of Cryogenic Airplugs and Chord Music interconnect makes me think, even more so, that the Superline has even more  potential.

Richard

I’m demoing a Superline with a HiCap DR and plain Naim 4 - 5 pin DIN. Just a few hours in although been keep warm out of the system for 5-6 days. Quite liking what I hear but I need lots more before I ditch the Aria or go for the Rega Aura (arriving tonight).

I have SL for Aria which could be upgraded with the 4 pin SL DIN plug.

What would you say you got from the Chord Music that you valued musically? I’ll tell you mine later.

Phil

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by aht

Phil

Uh, I don't believe you can do that.  As discussed in another thread here, Naim will not offer an SL 4-5 DIN, due to technical difficulties; something about it being  too noisy for a phono stage.  So they probably wouldn't modify your current RCA -> DIN SL cable to 4-5 DIN.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Filipe
aht posted:

Phil

Uh, I don't believe you can do that.  As discussed in another thread here, Naim will not offer an SL 4-5 DIN, due to technical difficulties; something about it being  too noisy for a phono stage.  So they probably wouldn't modify your current RCA -> DIN SL cable to 4-5 DIN.

Well I suppose that it could be harder to put two SL cables into the 4 pin SL DIN plug.

I wonder whether they have thought of using two SL DIN plugs and two outputs on the power supply.

[@mention:1566878603942595] can you cast any light on this as some think the Chord Music is a really good upgrade. Shame the Superline can’t have phono output.

Phil

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Sorry Phil, I can't help here.

However, I don't think offering an RCA phono output (which incidentally would have to come from the power supply anyway) would be any advantage over DIN.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by FangfossFlyer
Filipe posted:
FangfossFlyer posted:

Richard

Richard

I’m demoing a Superline with a HiCap DR and plain Naim 4 - 5 pin DIN. Just a few hours in although been keep warm out of the system for 5-6 days. Quite liking what I hear but I need lots more before I ditch the Aria or go for the Rega Aura (arriving tonight).

What would you say you got from the Chord Music that you valued musically? I’ll tell you mine later.

Phil

Hi Phil,

What I would say is that I found more depth,  roundness to the music and with vocals sounding more life like, acoustic guitars more resonant, bands playing with more rhythm, together and with drive. All very non hi-if terms and very subjective but , for me, more like being there with the artist rather than listening in a studio.

Richard

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Chris Dolan

FWIW - I preferred the standard Lavender 4/5 interconnect to the HiLine with Supercap DR.

I also preferred the Lavender to Chord Sarum Tuned ARAY (Steve J's system) and Chord Sarum Super ARAY (Cymbiosis).

I have not tried ChordMusic or Sarum T

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Zipperheadbanjo
Chris Dolan posted:

FWIW - I preferred the standard Lavender 4/5 interconnect to the HiLine with Supercap DR.

I also preferred the Lavender to Chord Sarum Tuned ARAY (Steve J's system) and Chord Sarum Super ARAY (Cymbiosis).

I have not tried ChordMusic or Sarum T

My lavender sounds rather sublime also... my hiline is in for repair due back sometime in January. Will be intrigued to compare the two when I get it back.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Filipe
FangfossFlyer posted:
Filipe posted:
FangfossFlyer posted:

Richard

Richard

Phil

Hi Phil,

What I would say is that I found more depth,  roundness to the music and with vocals sounding more life like, acoustic guitars more resonant, bands playing with more rhythm, together and with drive. All very non hi-if terms and very subjective but , for me, more like being there with the artist rather than listening in a studio.

Richard

Richard, I understand what you are saying. I have Super Lumina phono to DIN for my Rega Aria and it was worth it. Now with the Rega Aura phonostage all those things you mention come in large measures. I’m staggered at how deep the bass guitar can go and how much more of every backing instrument there is to enjoy the sound of.

Phil