Analog output on Supernait2

Posted by: Leon di San Marco on 14 December 2018

Hi everybody!

I'd like to digitalise some vinyls. The audio recorder will be a Cocktail Audio X10, which should be connected to a Supernait 2...but here there is no rec out or similar, only a sub out. Will this one do or are there other/better options?

Thanks for your answers!

Marco

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Marco, on the Supernait 2 you have two rec outs - on AV in/out and HDD in/out.  You should use one of these.  

To connect, you'll need a tape interconnect with 4 x RCA Phono and a DIN5, such as this one from Naim;

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Leon di San Marco

Thank you Richard! I actually do have one such a cable (although with only two RCA) but I need it to connect the Phono Stage to the Supernait2 Should I buy another one or do I have a chance to use a normal RCA cable?

I also tried to connect the Phono Stage (an Audio Research PH3) directly to the Audio Recorder but it's no good, since the exit level is too loud and the Cocktail Audio doesn't have a Rec Volume...

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by NickSeattle

I use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4.  I am considering getting a Sony PCM-D100 or Marantz recorder for future jobs.

Nick

Thanks Nick! Is the Scarlet a ADC/DAC? The Cocktail Audio I own also converts Analogue to Digital...what it doesn't offer is the possibility to regulate the input level (which, as I said, is too high if coming directly from the Phono Stage). Actually I'm not looking for something to "rip" my entire record collection: I'd only like to make a copy for my father of a couple of older records he doesn't find on cd.

Leon di San Marco posted:

Thanks Nick! Is the Scarlet a ADC/DAC? The Cocktail Audio I own also converts Analogue to Digital...what it doesn't offer is the possibility to regulate the input level (which, as I said, is too high if coming directly from the Phono Stage). Actually I'm not looking for something to "rip" my entire record collection: I'd only like to make a copy for my father of a couple of older records he doesn't find on cd.

ADC.  Works great for the money, and lets you adjust the levels, same as an old cassette deck would.  It does require TRS terminations (guitars and mics use these), instead of the more-hi-fi RCA plugs.  Stores like Guitar Center have the adapters you need.

Nick

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Maybe you should buy him a cassette deck!

ChrisSU posted:

I don’t personally favor the tape deck idea.  What I mean to say is the USB recording interface works well at the price; but if the added features and ability to record live performances are desirable, the more-expensive recorder might be a better value, long-term.

Just my ruminations applied to the ask.

Nick

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by ChrisSU
NickSeattle posted:
ChrisSU posted:

I don’t personally favor the tape deck idea.  What I mean to say is the USB recording interface works well at the price; but if the added features and ability to record live performances are desirable, the more-expensive recorder might be a better value, long-term.

Just my ruminations applied to the ask.

Nick

I wasn’t being entirely serious, but actually, given the price of used cassette decks these days, it might just be the easiest and cheapest option. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Thank you Richard! I actually do have one such a cable (although with only two RCA) but I need it to connect the Phono Stage to the Supernait2 Should I buy another one or do I have a chance to use a normal RCA cable?

The cable you describe is likely one way - i.e. source RCA to Din input.  Because of the way the DIN pins are arranged you can't use a DIN wired only for preamp input/source output to take a REC Out signal to a recorder.  It would need to have the DIN wiring changed to the REC OUT pins.  Better, to use a proper record interconnect like the one shown above, or else ask an interconnect supplier for a custom interconnect suitable for your needs. 

I note that the cocktail Audio uses 3.5mm jacks for the analogue line in and analogue line out.  You could use the interconnect shown above with a pair of 2 xRCA to 3.5mm jack adaptors, or else have a custom interconnect made up with 3.5mm stereo jacks in place of the RCA Phonos.

However, you say the Cocktail Audio can't vary the input signal, in which case it's not really suitable for your needs.  Better to use a unit designed to record, either an onboard ADC/USB computer interface, or a dedicated digital recorder.

There have been a few threads on this in the past.  Dedicated recorders are perhaps easiest to use and work just like recorders of old. They record to Flash or SD cards which can either be edited on board, or taken to a computer and then edited comprehensively using your choice of program.  I use Audacity to edit and chop up the recordings into individual track files.  It's free and works well.  

Stand alone recorder s don't have to be expensive either - I've used the Marantz PMD661 and PMD671 with excellent results.  They both record at up to 24bit 96kHz and have excellent record pre-amps. Beyond that, the Sony recorders are superb, particularly the PCM-D50 and PCM-D100.

Here's a picture to show you what a Marantz PMD671 looks like in action;

And here, you can see the smaller handheld units - a PCM-D50 from Sony and a PMD661 from Marantz;

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Leon di San Marco

Good morning! Thanks again for your answers!

Richard, yesterday night I bought this on Amazon:

You write about being it necessary for the cable to have 2x minijack...but why? Should I cancel the order right away?? And by the way, I do have a Sony PCM-D50, which I've used in the past to record my orchestral rehearsals. Do you think that I could use that and forget al the rest?

Marco, unless specifically made for purpose, just about any and all ready made 3.5mm to Din leads will be wired incorrectly to take the REC OUT signal from the REC OUT DIN pins.  The reason I recommend a dual 3.5mm jack to DIN or a 4 x RCA phono to DIN Interconnect for a recording device is that this give you both the REC IN and LINE OUT which corresponds to the IN/OUT on the DIN5 socket on the Supernait. It also means you avoid any possible signal earth loop problems.

Yes, if you have a Sony PCM-D50 then I would recommend you try it using the analogue Line IN to record onto a Memory Stick. Set it to record at 24bit 96kHz and with no LF cut or anything engaged - i.e. record flat. Be careful with the record levels - with digital, of you go over 0dB then you get terrible distortion - it's a concrete ceiling. Try to record with about 1-2dB spare headroom, just in case.  You may be very pleasantly surprised at just how good the recordings are that can be made by the Sony...

Ok then! I cancelled the order and I'll give the PCM-D50 a try (I have here a RCA/Minijack cable). Thank you!

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by NickSeattle

Ok then! I cancelled the order and I'll give the PCM-D50 a try (I have here a RCA/Minijack cable). Thank you!

Good decisions!

Nick

Ok, I made a sort of pre-test of the PCM-D50, not with vinyls as a source but with CD's. I recorded at 96khz/24bit some samples from Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" and Bartók's "The miraculous Mandarin" using my Naim CDX2 (connected directly to the Sony), then I imported the files to my computer and listened to them in comparison to the rips I've made from the same cd's (music player: Audirvana+, DAC: iFi iDSD le).

Well, the results are quite good but I have to say that the CD Rip versions sounded slightly better: more space around the instruments (especially in complex textures like Bartók), more micro-dynamic range...there was a some kind of veil less before the players. Now, maybe it was a silly idea to make such a test with a CD but I wanted to see how good the Sony records an analog input source (no matter which one) and to make a comparison using with the same player (which, of course, I can't do when I record a vinyl record).

In the next days I'll try again with vinyls...

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Marco, obviously you will have some quality loss thanks to the A to D, interconnect, and there will be other differences due to different DACs being used in comparison etc.. however, I find the Sony remarkably good, especially considering how little the recorder costs in real terms.  To do better you are then talking dedicated A to D units or recorders such as the Lynx Hi lo costing four figures upwards.