New Mac Laren F1 Speedtail

Posted by: rsch on 15 December 2018

I' ve always had a sweet spot for Mac Laren racing cars &  road cars . BUT.

This one in my humble opinion is one of the ugliest cars ever drawn in history. It's very big (5,20 m long) where the orginal F1 penned by Gordon Murray and  Peter Stevens was a very compact and clever package. The cabin resembles its forebear with 3 seats and a cockpit with 3  ugly huge screens. On powertrain side i don't see much advance over regular models.

The engine is the same as fitted in the 720S plus an hybrid system was already present in Ultimate series P1 of 2013.

The joke continues with the option list. According to Evo mag. the one they reviewed was fitted with 450k of extras ! which is roughly the cost of 2 720S !

Feel free to share your opinions about this crazyness

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Biddler66

The Mclaren speedtail does look a LOT better in the flesh IMHO, but  agree with the way these high end cars are going. At the end of the day it is all about aero (Look at a 70's F1 compared to the monstrosities of today) and that is the big influence in styling. The days of a person sitting with a bit of paper and designing are long gone. At the end of the day Mclaren are building 107 of them and all sold out before the first has even gone to the production line and if you are one of the very fortunate few I am sure you will be able to sell it at list +++++ when you do take delivery (not that money is everything, just a sign of the supply/demand). I would have a Senna over it every day of the week.

Yes the options are expensive and the have opened the MSO (Mclaren Special Options) dept inline with other manufacturers so if you want a gold embossed steering wheel, they will do it. They have built a car that had diamonds in the paint (Apparently a South African diamond miner ordered that one) showing that there can be big $$$$ in the options/one off stuff. People with that sort of money are all about having something somebody else does not have and will pay for it. Mclaren exist to make money after all.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by rsch

If it's already sold out it' not a surprise. Today around the world there are many obscenely rich individuals with more money than taste or knowledge. You can cover a car with millions carat diamonds or gold but this doesn't make it a better car.

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

Just imagine the other half and her mother at the back moaning about how uncomfortable and noisy everything is.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Paper Plane

From the side and rear quarter it looks like 1950s 'Atomic Age' concept car.

Think I'll pass...

steve

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I think it is rather special. So many of the other 'hypercars' basically look like race cars with number plates. the McLaren Senna being a perfect example of pure function over form (and rather ugly in my view). This is sleek and different. Bit of jaguar XJ220?

Of course they will probably all spend their lives in air-conditioned warehouses and I will never see one on the road.

Totally illogical that it exists, but I am quite happy that it does.

Bruce

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by winkyincanada

Looks fine to me.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Tony Lockhart

For a McLaren that’s a clean and fairly attractive car. Their Senna is a hideous creation, to me. 

However, these cars do very little for me in the same way that mega $$$ super yachts do little for me.

These cars tend to sound soulless, and to be harsh they’re just not powerful enough to impress me. I thought we’d have come a lot further since the McLaren F1 twenty five years ago, but they’ve just become heavier and uglier in general.