Should there be a part of the Forum where we can buy and sell or swop bits of gear?

Posted by: JimDog on 15 December 2018

Should there be a part of the Forum where we can buy and sell or swop bits of gear (at our own risk, with no liability for Naim for hosting the site)?

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by ChrisSU

There are other forums that do this pretty well if you don’t want to use ebay, so I don’t see why Naim need to do it too. Some Naim dealers will either sell stuff on for you, or take it as part-ex so there are plenty of options. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Bart

There are other options, and SOMEONE has to police it and keep the scammers out. That can be a full time job, and then some. 

I'd rather Naim devote more resources to technical help here, than to a virtual yard sale (as we call it here).  Naim appears to have given the sack to their employee who read and posted here regularly and provided wonderful customer service; that's where resources should go.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Mike-B
Bart posted:

...........................................................   I'd rather Naim devote more resources to technical help here, than to a virtual yard sale (as we call it here).  Naim appears to have given the sack to their employee who read and posted here regularly and provided wonderful customer service; that's where resources should go.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by james n

I think that employee is working at Melco now. Good news for us Melco owners 

As others have said, plenty of places to sell the kit. Richard does a sterling job without the extra hassle of a trading section. 

james n posted:

I think that employee is working at Melco now. Good news for us Melco owners 

As others have said, plenty of places to sell the kit. Richard does a sterling job without the extra hassle of a trading section. 

Good for him!  And yes good for you Melco owners.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Jimdog,

this has been discussed here on a number of occasions in the past. The answer is no.  Mainly because Naim like to keep the forum as a "safe" space, ostensibly commerce-free. For one thing, it's very difficult to police - there are just too many people and organisations who wish to use the Naim forum to promote their commercial interests.  If you're a Naim owner then there a loads of companies out there who have you in their sights and want to sell to you. Part of my job is every day ensuring that such companies do not get to use the Naim forum as a platform to market their products. If we allowed sales, then knowing just who is a private individual and who is not can be difficult, if not impossible.  Better to keep the door firmly shut. Also, if there were to be any dispute over a private sale then Naim may well feel obliged to get involved - that opens Naim up to risks and potential costs that they would rather not have to face.  And most importantly, Naim have a wonderful network of independent dealers, many of whom make a point of carrying excellent quality secondhand Naim kit.  That would always be where Naim would recommend you look to buy your Naim kit. 

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by JimDog

Ah yes - that makes good sense.

thanks

Jim

Richard Dane posted:

Jimdog,

this has been discussed here on a number of occasions in the past. The answer is no.  Mainly because Naim like to keep the forum as a "safe" space, ostensibly commerce-free. For one thing, it's very difficult to police - there are just too many people and organisations who wish to use the Naim forum to promote their commercial interests.  If you're a Naim owner then there a loads of companies out there who have you in their sights and want to sell to you. Part of my job is every day ensuring that such companies do not get to use the Naim forum as a platform to market their products. If we allowed sales, then knowing just who is a private individual and who is not can be difficult, if not impossible.  Better to keep the door firmly shut. Also, if there were to be any dispute over a private sale then Naim may well feel obliged to get involved - that opens Naim up to risks and potential costs that they would rather not have to face.  And most importantly, Naim have a wonderful network of independent dealers, many of whom make a point of carrying excellent quality secondhand Naim kit.  That would always be where Naim would recommend you look to buy your Naim kit. 

As a mere customer and participant here, I agree with all of those reasons.  Let's preserve what we have here; it's nice that Naim let us do this at all.  Very few manufacturers do.