S-XPS Burndy Cable

Posted by: Guinnless on 16 December 2018

During a rack rebuild and a bit of cable dressing I came across this on my Burndy.

Nothing sounds 'broken'.  Anybody come across similar?

The cable came with my Olive XPS (purchased 2nd hand) and I did notice it wasn't perfect then. It seems to have got worse though.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Huge

Aaagh!  That gave me a bit of a freak out.

- Not the Burndy (mine looks similar but no where near as bad), no the rattan sofa: my ex has exactly the same even with the same fabric!

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Guinnless

LOL - it's the only item left over from a full set.  It's my current listening chair but i think I need something better.

I did wonder if the previous owner had used a hairdryer to assist with cable dressing. Flexible they are not!

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

The picture is a little out of focus (or my eyes are) is it a split near the end that we are looking at ??

There's no split, it's the bulges and bumps in the outer sheathing.  It's only at one end too.

My phone's auto-focus had trouble focusing on the black cable. So it's not your eyes

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by hi fi fo fum

Why not give it a “shake” and see if it comes back 

hi fi fo fum posted:

Why not give it a “shake” and see if it comes back 

I don't think a shake from Paul Daniels would help here. ????

If it's not compromising sound quality then I don't mind but I can't be sure. I suppose I could buy another and try it, if it's the same then sell it on.

Having browsed the archives I'm going to give my Burndy a massage tomorrow. It did feel quite stiff (ooer missus) so I'll be gentle.

Both connectors are smooth and lock with a nice soft clunk.

So it's dangle by the connector and waggle, yes.????

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by hi fi fo fum

It may take some time but it should smooth out 

shake it one end at a time but change ends after a couple minutes.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Suzy Wong

By coincidence, there was a similar looking SXPS on ebay recently. That one looked like it had been wrapped around a hexagonal former. Really weird.

Something in the method of construction perhaps? 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Guinnless
Suzy Wong posted:

By coincidence, there was a similar looking SXPS on ebay recently. That one looked like it had been wrapped around a hexagonal former. Really weird.

Yes, I remember seeing that one.

I've been shaking and massaging mine and it has improved.  In the meantime however I've bought another one pre-loved in nice condition, hpefully Naim can fix mine properly.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Suzy Wong

They have a custom “wiggle” machine in Salisbury for shaking cables...........

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Guinnless

The "SNAIC Shaker"  :-)

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Suzy Wong
Guinnless posted:
Suzy Wong posted:

Yes, I remember seeing that one.

I've been shaking and massaging mine and it has improved.  In the meantime however I've bought another one pre-loved in nice condition, hpefully Naim can fix mine properly.

And another lumpy SXPS has appeared on fleabay. While I’m not overly concerned about any electrical connectivity issues, I am curious to know why these are occuring (when compared with the older grey cables)

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Suzy Wong

As a matter of interest, have you done an AB comparison of the two cables?

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Guinnless

I first did the Burndy "massage"  and that did help the SQ, particularly soundstaging - not what I was expecting. It's certainly worth doing on a yearly basis.
Nothing jumped out at me after fitting the used replacement, I didn't keep swapping back and forth as I was happy that all was the same.  Paranoia meant I had to try another cable just to see though