Regular Hdd Vs. Ssd

Posted by: meni48 on 16 December 2018

I am thinking to switch my old regular Hdd to a new Samsung Ssd 860 evo, in terms of sound  is it  better? is there any point in doing such a move....the question is to  those who experience a similar step and does have an answer for me...thanks for your kind help.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Brian H

I would be most surprised if sound was different. That does not mean someone hasn’t heard a difference.

The disk is quieter and if the old one is not faulted that would be a useful difference. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by meni48
Brian H posted:

I would be most surprised if sound was different. That does not mean someone hasn’t heard a difference.

The disk is quieter and if the old one is not faulted that would be a useful difference. 

From your answer there is not a real reason to use Ssd 

meni48 posted:
Brian H posted:

From your answer there is not a real reason to use Ssd drive

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Ravenswood10

I installed a Samsung SSD in my Core as the cool running, silent drive appealed. I can say that there’s been any impact on sound quality but this wasn’t my reason for swapping. It’s been installed for a year or so and has been totally reliable. The only trouble I had was from my wife when my daughter told her how much that tiny little box cost Daddy

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by ChrisSU

How are you using this drive? In a NAS? I ask because, for example, the drive Naim recommend for the Core is different to the one they supplied in the Unitiserve, or from the drives commonly recommended for a regular NAS. To be honest, I forget the exact reason behind this recommendation, but it may have some relevance to your choice. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Ravenswood10

The SDD drive sits in the Core as my main listening source and as is silent, on my equipment racks in the listening room. A QNAPwith two Western Red HDDs is my backup and that’s well out of sight in a ventilated cupboard.

ChrisSU posted:

How are you using this drive? In a NAS? I ask because, for example, the drive Naim recommend for the Core is different to the one they supplied in the Unitiserve, or from the drives commonly recommended for a regular NAS. To be honest, I forget the exact reason behind this recommendation, but it may have some relevance to your choice. 

I am using my regular hdd as an external drive on a pc, asset media server installed 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by David Hendon

The reason why Naim recommend the HDD that they do for the Core is firstly the Core HDD runs 24/7 unless you put it into deep sleep, from which you can only wake it by pressing the button on the front panel and hence an HDD intended for 24/7 surveillance purposes is ideal. Secondly they don’t recommend NAS drives like WD Red because NAS drives are designed to serve multiple streams and so won’t try as hard to recover data from an iffy part of the disc for one stream than a drive that isn’t designed for a NAS. I forget what the parameter concerned is, but Phil Harris explained it in the early Core days and I expect that his post will still be there somewhere.

best

David

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Brian H posted:

I would be most surprised if sound was different. That does not mean someone hasn’t heard a difference.. 

That is my view also.

i installed SSDs in my Mac Mini music server/player for reliability and silence, the latter including less heat generated so less need for the fan. (Also very fast boot up and access, though that is irrelevant in normal use for music.)

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Pcd

I’ve been using a Seagate Pipeline HDD in my Core for nearly two years the Core sits on the equipment rack and is totally silent in operation.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Rich 1

My own experience. If using a standard NAS then an SSD will be quieter, but you may need to take into consideration cost of very large capacity SSD's and fan noise if your NAS has a fan. My Qnap is far noisier than the Core. As for a uniti core I use a HDD of the 24/7 video variety and find this silent. You can also contact your dealer, if they have a Core with an HDD you could go and listen to any noise the drive makes. Whatever drives you use it's imperative that you obtain one that's certified for either 24/7 NAS or video use. These are more expensive than a standard drive. Rich 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Philipp vH
meni48 posted:

I am using my regular hdd as an external drive on a pc, asset media server installed 

In this case, there won't be any difference to SQ.

The convenience of the SSD in this case is: no mechanical noise and (depending on the media server caching capabilities) faster browsing / adding of music.
Downside: more expensive.

Most important is to have a backup of your existing drive. (Ideally with the complete media library "as is".) Otherwise: keep the current disk running until it is too small or broken. Then swap it, depending on size needs and available budget.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by meni48
Philipp vH posted:
meni48 posted:

In this case, there won't be any difference to SQ.

The convenience of the SSD in this case is: no mechanical noise and (depending on the media server caching capabilities) faster browsing / adding of music.
Downside: more expensive.

Most important is to have a backup of your existing drive. (Ideally with the complete media library "as is".) Otherwise: keep the current disk running until it is too small or broken. Then swap it, depending on size needs and available budget.

Good answer no need SSD  drive thanks