Naim UnitiQute - opinions?

Posted by: Sandals on 16 December 2018

Hello all, again I apologize for being a little late to the Naim product line... I just had the Linn stuff figured out when they abandoned the forum.. 

Anyways, I am looking to start my Naim journey with a small system for my office. I have been looking at the vintage stuff (CB) but have not thought about these newer integrated models.

Any opinions on the lower cost Uni models? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Alan 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by spurrier sucks

I like mine a lot. It’s my second one. I’ve also owned a Uniti2 which I thought was great also. Not a lot to not like about a Qute. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Sandals
spurrier sucks posted:

I like mine a lot. It’s my second one. I’ve also owned a Uniti2 which I thought was great also. Not a lot to not like about a Qute. 

I had a Linn Sneaky which was a great piece, 33w,streamer. Is this unit the Naim equivalent? 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Peder

???? SANDALS,....A friend said this about Naim Unitiqute2,....

"it is twice as good,and half as expensive as Linn's Majik DSM”.

And he has an active Linn Keltik-system,and also an active Linn Isobarik-system.
In other words,a real Linn lover ????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Sandals

Ok... Those are fighting words.. Lol. For my home system I am currently using a Majik DS/1 into an LK140 amp driving Linn Kan MK1. As part of my "conversion" I better have a listen to one. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Skip

Try to find the UnitiQute2b (for Bluetooth) with FM.   It is a great little unit and will do it all, almost.  The Atom is newer and will do more, but no FM.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Tamarin

I'm slightly enamoured with the UnitiQute, so I have two.

One of them doubles as the streamer to my main N-DAC/282/250DR system (via BNC SPDIF output to the N-DAC). I confess that I'm having a problem with spontaneous outbursts of cackling.

Not to mention that they are fabulous as stand-alone players. (Okay, I just did)

p.s. Check out Audience speakers w/the UQ. No crossovers, baby! Perhaps hard to find in BC and across the pond, but well worth your while.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

The Unitiqute 2 was my first dedicated streamer and I have just bought another one for my spare room.  I used the Qute as a stand alone player with a LInn Axis TT connected,  I then used it as a streamer preamp connecting a Nap150 and finally as just a streamer connected to a 122x/150 great little product and if you can't get enough bass from your speakers you can connect a sub to the qute too.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Sandals posted:

Ok... Those are fighting words.. Lol. For my home system I am currently using a Majik DS/1 into an LK140 amp driving Linn Kan MK1. As part of my "conversion" I better have a listen to one. 

What speakers will you use with the Unitiqute? I’m not sure it would have enough power to drive Kans well, although it’s not a combo I’ve heard. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Richard Dane

I currently have my Unitiqute 2 in my office driving a pair of Epos ES14s.  It may not be ideal on paper, but seems to work just fine.  The ES14s have temporarily replaced my KANs on the UQ2 while I consider getting them cosmetically restored.  From a power point of view, the UQ2 seems quite adequate in my relatively small office space.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Yetizone

Another enthusiastic UQ2 owner here (run out model with BT). I think it offers terrific value for money at the current secondhand prices. Late BT models can now be had for around the £800 on a well known auction site. No lengthy dem / experience of Linn streamers so I can’t offer an informed comparison. 

Good points…  Quite powerful for the 30W per channel specs. Versatile connectivity - can be used as an AIO unit, a streaming pre amp into a power amp, or a dedicated streaming source (amp smithed off). Dedicated Subwoofer outlet included. Good basis for system expansion. Oh, it sounds very good too!

Bad points… The OLED screen has a finite lifespan and can dim over time if left switched on permanently (check provenance). An expensive repair too. Countered by setting ‘auto off’ after a designated time. On screen menu system not the most intuitive (initially). Connectivity can be flaky with some domestic ethernet / Wi-Fi set ups. But, there is a wealth of forum knowledge if problems arise.

Other than those minor issues, tis a little gem of a thing.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Thumbs up for the UQ2 here to. I had it with a NAP100 power amp as my main system for 5 years, that went to my media room after I upgraded to a Nova. Now it's a third system in a games room (converted garage). The Uniti2 is great too, I've just landed a second hand one that has gone to the media room. 

It's been a great lead in on my Naim journey, and a fine second system if you ever upgrade. It's a stayer here long term.

Good luck with your choice.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by gary yeowell

I 've had a UnitiQute2 running in my small office for 5 years and before that a mk1. In that time it's driven Kans/IBLs/SL2s and now Linn Kabers. It has never been less than brilliant, fun and reliable. I sometimes listen and wonder how it can possibly sound so good listening to internet radio with a good recording. I rarely use it to stream, choosing 95% of the time internet radio. A classic Naim for sure, and sounds better than the current Atom to me.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I just bought a 2013 UQ2 with FM, DAB but non BT  with a pair of of 3.5m Nac A5 for £599  now that is a real Bobby Dazzler as the orange one (D Dickinson) would say. 

Cant wait to get her home such an uncomplicated fun machine. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Sandals

Thanks for all the help!

Skip - I hadn't thought of listening to FM, is that a thing?

Tararin - I have used Omega Super Alnico and have secretly coveted the 1+1. Which model do you have?

Bob - good to hear that the UQ pairs nicely with turntables too!

Chrissu - I will look for a more efficient stand mount if I get a UQ. Any suggestions?

Richard - let me know how your Kan restoration goes as I would love to get mine done one day too.

Yetizone - is screen failure common? Any models better than others?

Mike - thanks for the vote of confidence.

Gary - Kabers in your office? I like how you roll!!!

Alan

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

When my NDS was off for repair I had my (original spec) Qute as the source on my main system. All things considered it did a pretty good job, especially on iRadio but not bad on as a streamer. It is now back in the office system-see my profile. Adding a cheap s/h 250 is a way to really get it singing too.

Bruce

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Sandals posted:

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Bart

I've had my UnitiQute 2 for a few years now and it's the heart of my 'second system' in my 'man cave loft.' (I know - how can it be both a cave and a loft?)  I added a NAP 100 a while ago, and that does give it a bit more punch but it's probably unnecessary!  Dynaudio Excite X12's on Dynaudio stands -- not a bad little setup.  I actually listen to it quite a bit.  And having just one music server for both of my systems is great. 

I did move to Roon for my main system (ND555), so I put a little Allo DigiOne on the Qute2 just so that I could use Roon with it, as the Qute2 came out long before Naim stuff was Roon Ready.  The Atom is Roon Ready which for me would be an advantage, but not worth the expense given that I can do it with the DigiOne.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Yetizone
Sandals posted:

Alan

Screen dimming is a case of pot luck I’m afraid. Some soldier on unaffected, some fail. Unless I’m mistaken, all of the ‘classic’ Uniti / stand alone streamers are prone. Circa £300 for a new screen (from forum reports) which is a bit steep considering its a known issue. Just ask the seller how the screen has been used and if it was set to switch off automatically -  and if its been replaced at some point. Plenty of  UQ2s about if you are patient,  so you can be picky.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Tamarin
Sandals posted:

Thanks for all the help!

Tararin - I have used Omega Super Alnico and have secretly coveted the 1+1. Which model do you have?

Bob - good to hear that the UQ pairs nicely with turntables too!

Chrissu - I will look for a more efficient stand mount if I get a UQ. Any suggestions?

Richard - let me know how your Kan restoration goes as I would love to get mine done one day too.

Mike - thanks for the vote of confidence.

Gary - Kabers in your office? I like how you roll!!!

Alan

Alan, yes, as you already have discovered the magic of single driver / no-crossover loudspeakers, I suspect that you would love Audience speakers with a Naim shoebox system, like the UQ2, or with a vintage CB set up.

I use Audience 'The One's (V1) with both of my UQ2 set ups. They are particulary magical as my near-field, desktop speakers. Per a tip from a TAS review, I have them slightly raised and also pointed directly towards my ears (both horizontally and vertically). The OEM wedge-shaped stands weren't quite sufficient to achieve that, so I have small, supplemental, foam wedges under the OEM stands (which tip them back a bit further in addition to raising them slightly higher). Alternatively, an adjustable angle/height stand, like the small-size IsoAcoustics monitor stands, would be  perfect.

I have another pair of 'Ones' mounted pseudo-sound-bar-style under my Panny Plasma, as part of my bedroom system.

I supplement both set ups with subwoofers. I'd try them first without subwoofers, especially if you go with the 1+1s.

By the way, the 1+1's are supposed to be fabulous as stand-mounters (also per TAS). However, in both of my set ups, the 'Ones' are ideal due to their compactness.

Regarding Bart's comment, I Roonified my primary UQ2 too (which also doubles as the streamer for my main system, via it's SPDIF output to my NDAC). For the Roonification, I use a Sonore ultraRendu, running the Sonore UPnP Bridge, connected over the network only (vs USB via USB-SPDIF converter connection).

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by David Hendon

All Unitiqute 2s have FM/DAB built in. 

Best

David

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by feeling_zen

Like many, I have a main system but seem to do 90% of my listening in the office via my UQ2. I drive crazy cheap Qacoustics 3010 speakers with it and the setup sounds fantastic. 

Bought in 2013 but screen still dazzles bright thanks to setting the timout to 10 seconds.

This gem is perfectly capable of being someone's main system and is upgradeable too. Not only can you add a NAP100 power amp, but you can insert a DACv1 in between the two as the last step to upgrade the DAC and preamp sections too.

I was actually a bit disappointed the Atom did not stick with classic series shoebox form factor. 

May shoebox separates live forever!

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by NickSeattle

I tried replacing my Qute2 with a Uniti Lite.  The Lite may have sounded a bit more in control of my Vienna Haydns, but not enough to justify the change for the larger form factor, in my office.  

I do find external sources, including external streamers, can show the Qute is a better amp than you might think if all you use are the built-in FM and streaming functions, which are nonetheless very good.

Nick

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Bob the Builder
Bob the Builder posted:

I just bought a 2013 UQ2 with FM, DAB but non BT  with a pair of of 3.5m Nac A5 for £599  now that is a real Bobby Dazzler as the orange one (D Dickinson) would say. 

Cant wait to get her home such an uncomplicated fun machine. 

I have just discovered that the UQ2 comes with BT as standard but to be honest in over a year of ownership of my first one I think I used BT once.  I think until I source some speakers I'll just use the UQ2 as a transport with digital out to my  2Qute so I'll have a Unitiqute 2 / 2Qute streaming source.

It will be interesting to compare it with the Raspberry Pi the slick integration with Tidal on the Naim app will definitely be a novelty over the quite long winded Volumio/Tidal operation on the Pi.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by HiFiman

I've owned two MK1 UQ one was the 96 and the other 192 version, I wish I never sold them on great product and a classic for sure. May look out for a used UQ for my caravan as the caravan   Muso QB (back home after caravan shutdown) is now in the bedroom and the wife loves.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

Yes definitely a classic of the future a streaming Nait 1 so versatile and discreet and fairly portable if like hifiman you want it for a caravan the aux import on the front allows you to connect a smart phone or iPad on the move.