Uniti Core Music Store Data Disappeared

Posted by: Al Gonzo on 17 December 2018

A week ago I purchased a Uniti Core and started to load data onto it both by ripping CDs and importing high definition audio files.  The music store is an internal Samsung 1 TB SSD and I am using a WD HDD as a back up.

All was going very well until I came to access the data yesterday and found all the data had disappeared on both the music store and back up.  Could I have inadvertently done something to clear all the data i.e. held the power on button on for too long or something?  I cannot find anything in the online manual to indicate how this might have happened.

I have been able to start again by formatting the SDD music store and loading music on to it.  Hopefully this will not happen again but …...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Did you put the imported files into the downloads folder, rather than sticking them in with the CD rips?

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Al Gonzo

The Core imported the files from a USB stick and they went into the Downloads folder as expected.  I had not copied across any files from the pc to the Core.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Good, just a possible issue that could have caused problems with the database, so best to eliminate it. Was the missing data impossible to find via any interface (such as the Naim app, or your streamer if you have one) or was it only when you access it via a computer that it wasn't found?

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Al Gonzo

I first noticed the issue when using my Yamaha musiccast app, the Core was listed but with no music.  I then checked using the Naim app, same result.  I used the Naim app Core feature to rebuild the music database but there appears to have been no music to rebuild from.  So I tried to restore from the Core back up I had created manually the previous day (that back up completed fine) and also set the Core to backup daily at 02:00 but found there was no back up data, it is as though the store data had gone prior to the 02:00 back up and I assume wiped that too as assumed I had deleted the files.  I have not yet been able to use the Core with my ND5 XS as it has been with Naim for repair.   I am currently rebuilding my store.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Rich 1

I had a similar issue when I first had my Core a year ago. Music folder was OK but the Downloads folder disappeared. I phoned Naim support, and suggest you do the same, they are very helpful. I might also suggest that you have a separate additional back up to a portable USB HDD connected to the Core when required in addition to the Nas. My cure was to reformat and restore from my USB HDD. I've had no issues since, touch wood. Also of interest I found the Downloads folder in the recycle bin on the portable HDD. Rich 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by David Hendon

When the Core doesn’t behave as expected, it’s always worth giving it a restart. You need to completely restart it, not just put it into network standby and out again. So I think the best way to do that is to take the AC mains off for 20 seconds and then put the mains back on and let it restart.

best

David

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Al Gonzo

Hi Rich1.  Thanks for your post.  I lost both the files in the Music and Downloads folders.  I am backing up to a USB HDD.  I intend to take a second back up to another USB HDD and then keep it disconnected from my network.   Glad to hear it was a one off issue for you, here's hoping it is for me too.

Cheers,

Al

Hi David,  Thanks for your post.  Luckily, I had followed your advice before starting to rebuild the store from scratch.  Do you by any chance know whether there is any button hold/sequence on the Core that could lead to a complete reset?

Cheers,

Al

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by David Hendon

Hi Al

No there isn’t or at least there is no documented way of doing that and anyway there would be no point in formatting the music store in a reset, so that certainly isn’t an intended outcome.

If you wanted to do a factory reset then the way you do that is to take the mains off, press in the standby button on the front panel and keep holding it as you turn the mains on again. You keep holding the button in until the light by the front panel USB flashes, then you let go the standby button and let it finish starting up. You have to redefine the music store but the Core should tell you that it has found a music store and ask whether you want to use that. Even if you say no, it won’t delete what it has found. And if you define a new music store, the old one is kept but as a share.

best

David

Hi David,

You are correct there is no user option to clear everything down.  I spoke to Naim support and they confirmed this, it is a factory reset procedure only.  Anyway, the good news is that my mark 2 data store attempt seems to be stable so hopefully all will work out okay.  Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Cheers,

Al