Active 500s/DBLs Snaxo 362 settings

Posted by: Franz K on 17 December 2018

Question to all you 500 active DBL owners. Did you or your dealer adjust/finetune the factory set default settings of the Snaxo362?

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by tonym

Hi Franz. I've tweaked mine a couple of times, latterly with the help of Darke Bear. Can I ask what you're trying to achieve?

A few points to make - the factory-set points are clearly marked on each adjustment pot, and it's important you don't deviate too much from them. If you get in a mess, thankfully you can return to these. The individual adjustments don't work in isolation - adjusting the bass will impact on the mid and treble. You may also find you end up with one speaker having different adjustments to the other.

Julianh of this forum did a very good SNAXO setup guide. Although this was for a 242 version, the basic principles are still applicable to the 362 type. If you do a search on the forum you should find it.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Franz K

Hi Tony

Thank you for getting back. It’s just that on a couple of occasions someone pointed out to me that my system may sound a tad bass light with the mid slightly too much in the face. I realized that the settings of the all pots were basically in neutral / zero as originally delivered from the factory. Also peter pointed out to me that the settings of individual pots could be adjusted at some point.  So we did tweak the bass somewhat  and also the tweeter just a tiny bit but left the mid untouched.  It does improve the whole picture I feel. I would be just courious what settings other active Dbl owners have found favorable in their ears. 

Kr F 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Adriantsk

Hi Franz,

I’m facing the same problem. The bass is too solve. According to frequency meter that I’ve tested. The reason from 50hz and above is average 75db+- but 50hz below will drop till 30db which means the bass gain/volume is lower than mid, and high frequency.

Happen to me asking in Naim fb group is it possible to add a sub woofer(nsub) or other brand of subwoofers to cover the low frequency. Some people said that, “DBL 15” bass not enough? Are you sure?” “Are you playing music at concert hall or football field?”

And last, I’ve pull out my dbl. now my speakers are not wall hugging/not against the wall. Which make a little slightly better bass extension.

Still seeking other members on tweaking the snaxo.

cheers,

Adrian

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by tonym

Hi Adrian, you really, really should not be short of bass with a pair of DBLs! Have you checked that the adjustment pots for the bass drivers are set in the position marked by the factory?

I do use a subwoofer in my room, but only for use with the home cinema system for the discrete  .1 channel.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Adriantsk

Hi Tonym,

Remember me? Dbl and S600 debate, you are the one who fully support me to grab the DBL. Till today, I’m enjoying it so much. 

Yes, the adjustment pots are in factory marked setting. Actually is not that DBL not produce bass but if according to frequency meter, is just that the low frequency not loud enough compare to mid and high frequency. Which means not balance I guess. 

I believe  Franz situation should be same like mine.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Franz K
tonym posted:

Hi Adrian, you really, really should not be short of bass with a pair of DBLs! Have you checked that the adjustment pots for the bass drivers are set in the position marked by the factory?

I do use a subwoofer in my room, but only for use with the home cinema system for the discrete  .1 channel.

Hi Tony

Really marked position? With my snaxo 362 wich is brand new, bought last year there are no markings on the pots. They were all set completely turned to the left, but again no markings..

We tunred the bass pots about 180deg clockwise (half turn) and the tweeters less than a quarter turn ...

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Jonn

They should be marked with a short black line on each pot. Did you buy your SNAXO specifically  for DBLs because if so it should say so on the box?

If not it may mean that Naim are not selling speaker specific SNAXOs because they no longer have the speakers to set them up in which case you would need to do it by ear. Setting them all at the mid point would seem a good place to start, adjusting the bass first then the  tweeter and finally mid range.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Franz K
Jonn posted:

They should be marked with a short black line on each pot. Did you buy your SNAXO specifically  for DBLs because if so it should say so on the box?

If not it may mean that Naim are not selling speaker specific SNAXOs because they no longer have the speakers to set them up in which case you would need to do it by ear. Setting them all at the mid point would seem a good place to start, adjusting the bass first then the  tweeter and finally mid range.

Hi John

Yes, I did buy the Snaxo 362 specifically for DBLs but will check the box too.  As said previously the pots were all set to zero, ie no further turning to the left but no marks whatsoever on them. So I dont know where the midpoint really is.  Ill check later how far they can be turned to the right, and thus should be able to determine a middle position.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by blythe

The SNAXO for my NBL's has a little white dot, like Tipex, which shows the factory set position.
I'm surprised that yours are turned fully one way.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by tonym
Jonn posted:

The adjusters only alter the relative channel volumes Jonn, but the actual crossover points are set by the factory, so each SNAXO is specific to that type of speaker.

Adriantsk posted:

Hi Tonym,

Remember me? Dbl and S600 debate, you are the one who fully support me to grab the DBL. Till today, I’m enjoying it so much. 

Yes, the adjustment pots are in factory marked setting. Actually is not that DBL not produce bass but if according to frequency meter, is just that the low frequency not loud enough compare to mid and high frequency. Which means not balance I guess. 

I believe  Franz situation should be same like mine.

Hi Adrian, yes, I do remember you. Glad you've been enjoying the DBLs! The loss of bass over certain frequencies is almost certainly as a result of room interaction - something's causing frequency suck-out. You might get a better idea if you tried the free REW software. Using the Dirac room correction software shows my pair don't exhibit this problem. As you've been using a meter, have you tried correcting on the adjusters? Admittedly, it's not straightforward because the adjustments don't work in isolation - alter one and it affects the other frequencies.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Jonn
tonym posted:
Jonn posted:

The adjusters only alter the relative channel volumes Jonn, but the actual crossover points are set by the factory, so each SNAXO is specific to that type of speaker.

I know, that's why I suggested  that Franz check that the SNAXO is for DBLs as indicated on the box.

A good idea Jonn. I was referring to your suggestion that Naim were no longer selling speaker-specific SNAXOs, and require the actual speakers to set them up. This isn't the case - the specific setups require different spec. components to rearrange the crossover points, the specifications of which are written down. You couldn't have generic SNAXOs. It'd be interesting to learn if anyone's used electronic active crossovers with Naim speakers though. The chap I bought my DBLs from used a pair of Pass Labs adjustable crossovers, but I suspect they'd be a bit of a nightmare to set up.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Jonn
tonym posted:

A good idea Jonn. I was referring to your suggestion that Naim were no longer selling speaker-specific SNAXOs, and require the actual speakers to set them up. This isn't the case - the specific setups require different spec. components to rearrange the crossover points, the specifications of which are written down. You couldn't have generic SNAXOs. It'd be interesting to learn if anyone's used electronic active crossovers with Naim speakers though. The chap I bought my DBLs from used a pair of Pass Labs adjustable crossovers, but I suspect they'd be a bit of a nightmare to set up.

How are the factory set pot positions arrived at? Mine are clearly marked with a black dot and  not necessarily at the centre point, so someone has to calibrate each SNAXO.

If Franz has no set marks on his then he needs to check with Naim as they were bought new.

Setting by ear is aided by having the factory set positions marked in the first place. When I adjusted mine there was only a degree or so difference.

They're set to a specific resistance using a meter Jonn. This type of adjustable pots are pretty variable out of the box. I'm not sure why they're on the zero setting - I can't believe they don't bother with the correct adjustments any more.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Tony, it may just be that Naim can no longer set up the default settings of a particular SNAXO. Without having the speaker department and the test speakers to do so, I don't know how they would be able to do it these days.  I guess it would have to be done by ear by the dealer installing the SNAXO.  Worth checking with Naim to be sure.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Franz K
Richard Dane posted:

Tony, it may just be that Naim can no longer set up the default settings of a particular SNAXO. Without having the speaker department and the test speakers to do so, I don't know how they would be able to do it these days.  I guess it would have to be done by ear by the dealer installing the SNAXO.  Worth checking with Naim to be sure.

Richard, thanks for your comment, I ve contacted naim menawhile.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Franz K
Jonn posted:
tonym posted:
Jonn posted:

I know, that's why I suggested  that Franz check that the SNAXO is for DBLs as indicated on the box.

Jonn,

Yes, I bought the snaxo new last year specifically for DBLs and it also says so on the box ie active xover snaxo 362 for DBL. In the meantime I have adjusted the pots somewha, taking Tonys settings as a guide. I did not use a meter but set just by ear and all I can say is it sounds bloody marvelous now. I am still in wait of an answer from naim..

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Franz, I don't think anybody has been answering mails since shutdown just before Christmas.  They will probably have quite a backlog of mails to clear when they get back after New Year holiday, so enjoy for now...

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Franz K

Thank you Richard. There is no rush and my system sings marvelously. Have a happy new year. Cheers F