NAP 300 to 552PS connection

Posted by: jsaudio on 17 December 2018

Can someone confirm which 2 sockets I should use to connect the NAP 300 to the 552PS please?

The manual shows socket 3 "to stereo power amps", and 2 "to mono or dual mono power amps" and 1 "additional signal output".

I noticed that I had socket 3 and the one above it "additional signal output" connected. I switched it to socket 3 and 2 . Is that correct? and which one is right and left. My DIN/XLR are color coded red and green

thanks

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Try the search either on here or on Google ( that will lead you back here) 

The answer is there ...

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Use sockets 2 and 3 on the 552PS. Both are stereo outputs, so it does not matter which lead goes in which socket. At the 300 end the red lead must go in the right (channel 2) socket. If you get them the wrong way round at the 300 end you will get no sound. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by jsaudio

Thanks HH. Curious that I have been listening to it with one lead connected to socket 1"additional signal output". Should I expect improved SQ? I also don't understand why there would be no sound output if the green XLR was connected to the right channel 2 if it doesn't matter which way its connected to the 552PS?

As to the sound I don’t know, but 2 and 3 are the ones to use. Just plug the red into right on the 300, and green into left. If you do it the other way round it won’t work. It’s never bothered me why this is, but it just is. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Clive B

I don’t think you’ll encounter any difference in sound quality, but you could easily check. If I recall correctly there’s a difference between the written instructions and the diagrammatic presentation. You could always follow the convention as identified by the labels on the leads. Again if I remember correctly the green tag is labelled Ch.1, so you could plug that into the output labelled 1. Repeat for Ch.2 (the red tagged lead). I used to do that but I’m now using the two output sockets which are side by side, labelled 2 and 3. The manual refers to these “to mono or dual mono power amplifiers”.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Huge
hungryhalibut posted:

As to the sound I don’t know, but 2 and 3 are the ones to use. Just plug the red into right on the 300, and green into left. If you do it the other way round it won’t work. It’s never bothered me why this is, but it just is. 

It's because Ch1 & Ch2 are on different pins on the XL connector and the 300 is a dual mono design.

Thanks Huge! So the XLR has left, right, and ground. I just plug these things in as instructed and tend not to worry about how it works. That’s the difference between a skilled professional like you, and a numpty like me.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by yeti42

Not tested it on the 552 but when I moved the one connection on the supercap that powers my SL from the farthest to the nearest socket to the Burndy there was a considerable improvement in sound quality.  After hearing the difference I read the manual. I’d never payed much attention to which power supply signal out I’d used in the past but it might account for my poor impression of the hicap powering a superline when I gave it a try. The socket(s) nearest the power out/signal in is the rule, be it Burndy or Snaic.