10 years on... how many of you still around?

Posted by: Tony2011 on 17 December 2018

Credit: Original  photo posted by Scottyhammer.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Don Atkinson

Was that down in Ashford or somewhere nearby ?

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by AndyP19

It does look like the Soundcraft (Ashford) sofa.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by tonym
Don Atkinson posted:

Was that down in Ashford or somewhere nearby ?

Indeed Don. We were listening to a large pair of PMC speakers which, probably due to room issues, sounded less than optimal, to put it politely. Ten years ago! My, that's scary.

I'll attempt to identify everyone. Front row, from L to R - Munch, Polar Bear, Scottyhammer. Next row back - WIzzkid, ? , JWM,  Julian H. Back two sitting - George G, Big H. Standing at back -   Denis A, me (in purple shirt), Steve S. Can't make out the two right at the back, & don't recognise the two sitting on the right.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Looks like Jason G of Naim standing in the doorway.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Tony2011

Thanks, Tony.  I used to love seeing those “shareholders meetings” photos here. I think we should elect one of them, or a member of the forum, to represent our interests as buyers on the Naim boardroom. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by tonym

Here's another photo of the same event, with one of our number discussing (!) the speakers with their designer. Note the body language...

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Gazza

Wonderful pictures of the enthusiasm for a Naim and music, keep them coming, those pics are great.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Jeff Anderson

From 2007, photos on page 2, and these tended to be a good read:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...ietys-inaugural-meet

I really enjoyed reading this thread from a decade and some a while ago......Charlie Henderson take a read, this is really what Naim is all about. This is your future if you can keep this “love” for the brand and music going forward,

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Search West Norfolk for more, some of the pictures have fallen out

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by james n
Gazza posted:

I really enjoyed reading this thread from a decade and some a while ago......Charlie Henderson take a read, this is really what Naim is all about. This is your future if you can keep this “love” for the brand and music going forward,

Yep - Keep the love for the brand but i'd add - make sure it's accessible to bring the younger generation on board (no offence meant to anyone, we're all getting older) so they'll love Naim too... 

james n posted:
Gazza posted:

Yep - Keep the love for the brand but i'd add - make sure it's accessible to bring the younger generation on board (no offence meant to anyone, we're all getting older) so they'll love Naim too... 

Absolutely....just me getting nostalgic and protective.

Jeff Anderson posted:

Search West Norfolk for more, some of the pictures have fallen out

Thanks Jeff.....those guys know how to enjoy their music.....hats off and respect to them.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by videodiscjunkie

Hello TonyM, I'm not sure how to message you through here but I saw a picture that you had posted back in 2007 about the wiring job some guys did on your equipment. Someone had shared it on a facebook vintage hi-fi page. Well the thread it came from started,

"Having recently updated my Naim system electronics, the final stage had to be a change from my old steel racking to a nice set of Fraims."

But in the picture I saw a piece of equiptment that was sitting on the top on the far rack. It has silver sides and back and a black or dark colored top and a sloped front face. It looked to me like a RCA Selectavision CED Videodisc player but if I had to guess it is a SGT075 model which confused me since that's a NTSC player and it would appear you are in the UK? Is that correct? Plus it appears there is a vast amount of cables coming from the back when the back should only have a single coax cable. I'm just very interested what that is? Thank you so very much.

Josh

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by tonym

Hi Josh, the piece of equipment to which you're referring was in fact a Tag McClaren DVD32 DVD/CD transport that linked with a Tag McClaren surround sound processor. I did have a Pioneer laserdisc player, but that sat on a lower shelf.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Cymbiosis

I am here, some of the time................

Nice pics and happy memories  

Happy Christmas guys!

KR,

Peter

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Dan Steel

????????????????

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
tonym posted:

Here's another photo of the same event, with one of our number discussing (!) the speakers with their designer. Note the body language...

The guy in the middle of the sofa looks as though he’s just lost ten quid. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Loki
hungryhalibut posted:
tonym posted:

The guy in the middle of the sofa looks as though he’s just lost ten quid. 

Maybe regretting his decision to buy Amstrad rather than Naim?

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by BigH47

Hi chaps still about. That was the first meeting of the Forum "away team". Still in touch with many pictured, don't play on this forum any more, on the FB version.. Love Tony's diplomatic description of those PMCs. 

Any chance some one can get an early generation scan/download of the first picture? I seem to have misplaced my copy.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by tonym

The West Norfolk Phonographic Society was started by JWM, who happens to live in West Norfolk, just a grand title for a group of us East Anglian (and elsewhere) Forumites who met via the forum and had several most enjoyable get-togethers, just chatting and listening to music, with the odd new bit of hardware to evaluate - all very light-hearted, and good fun. The gatherings have fizzled out a bit now, just the way of things, but it really is a most excellent way of meeting great people, discovering new music, and having a lovely time. More photos, round at my place - 

From L to R - Steve J., 911gt3r (Peter), Tony Lockhart, me, Julian H, J.N.

Another lot, including (from L going round) -  JWM, J.N., Julian H, Scottyhammer, Fixed Wheel, Darke Bear, Polar Bear (not sure it was wise to put two bears together, but they didn't fight), Micheal & wife Pat, BigH47, Gill (Fixed wheel's better half), Tony Lockhart, and me. Everyone looks glum because I told them not to smile.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

Still around myself, though mainly confined to the cell these days.

Another meeting from ten years(!) ago...

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/wnps-oct-2008

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by videodiscjunkie
tonym posted:

Hi Josh, the piece of equipment to which you're referring was in fact a Tag McClaren DVD32 DVD/CD transport that linked with a Tag McClaren surround sound processor. I did have a Pioneer laserdisc player, but that sat on a lower shelf.

Sorry Tony, that's not the piece of equipment that I was referring to. You are looking at the far shelf in the pic, it is on the top of the middle shelf in that case. Silver sides and back and a black top. Thanks.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by videodiscjunkie

Here is a graphic I made. I circled the one I am curious about and found a picture of a SGT075 RCA Selectavision CED Videodisc Player for comparison. I'm curious to know what you have that seems to look exactly like it? Thanks.

Josh

compare

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by tonym

Never owned such a device Josh. It's actually a Sky satellite box.