NDX volume level

Posted by: Ears on 17 December 2018

The volume on my NDX is easily the loudest of all my sources, so much so it makes volume adjustment difficult, with the dial's realistic maximum held at about 8 o'clock.

I would be grateful to receive any suggestions.  Is there perhaps a software-based soultion which would not wreck the sound?

An outboard DAC would be a possibility (and an upgrade) I suppose, but I'm not keen to take this route.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by David Hendon

Can you not set maximum volume in the setup screen for the NDX in the app? You can probably start at say 70%.

best

David

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Mike-B

NDX output is 2.1v.      You don't say what your other sources are & also what is the amp ???

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by J Saville

If you're using a Naim Preamp you should be able to adjust the input trim level on each input. Put the Pre into programming mode by holding down the 'prog' button on the remote until the lights on the Pre start blinking, set the Pre to the input you want to adjust, and use the volume up/down keys to adjust the trim. Exit programming mode the same way by holding 'Prog' and you're done.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Ears

Thanks David, I'll give that a go.  Because I listen near-field, I can easily read the NDX screen and had not considered the app.

Mike, other sources are FM and vinyl; preamp is 252.

JS, I wasn't aware of this feature, many thanks.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Mike-B
Ears posted:

Mike, other sources are FM and vinyl; preamp is 252.

JS, I wasn't aware of this feature, many thanks.

FM & vinyl ??  I meant the source brand/model to determine the actual output volts   ..........   whatever JS has the answer with the 252 input adjustment.  

OK Mike, I see.  Thanks for taking the trouble.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by sjbabbey

Oddly the Naim Preamp manual does not seem to mention the ability to alter the imput trim. To increase trim (i.e. to have more useable volume control travel) do you use the vol up or the vol down button ? Also, is there a way to reset the imput trim to the default setting ? 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’d suggest that there is no such input trim adjustment possible on a Naim preamp, other than the 112, 172 and 272. So basically it’s a case of sucking it up. I’m also not convinced that you can set a maximum volume on an NDX, as it’s not a preamp. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I used to have exactly this problem with my 282, but now I find that a Hugo makes a very effective attenuator. Sounds quite nice too! You can pick up an original Hugo for about £600 these days, which makes it a pretty affordable upgrade. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by David Hendon
hungryhalibut posted:

I’d suggest that there is no such input trim adjustment possible, and that J Saville is wrong. So basically it’s a case of sucking it up. 

....and adjusting the maximum volume output of the NDX as I suggested before...

best

David

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I’m not aware of any input trim or volume limit functions on Naim preamps. As far as I’m aware, it’s an option only on all-in-one devices in which streamers and preamps are in the same box, i.e. Unitis, 172/272 and presumably Musos. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by NickSeattle

NAC 112 has input trim.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by J Saville

hmm, yes apologies but I appear to have got that one wrong! I have used trim adjustment on the 112 previously and just assumed it was the same on all Naim pre-amps. Silly me.

Sorry about that, please disregard my previous post.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Ears

David, could you point me to this setup feature please, to fix max volume.  I have access to Android only, version 2.8 on the phone.  Thank you.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Ears posted:

David, could you point me to this setup feature please, to fix max volume.  I have access to Android only, version 2.8 on the phone.  Thank you.

The only volume control you have via the NDX is system automation control of the 252. You can’t set a max volume. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
Ears posted:

No such feature exists. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Ears

Chris & HH, thank you for clarification.

Chris, I'm assuming that there is no attenuation of volume in the control you mention within system automation, and to achieve this we'll need an outboard DAC, as in your system.  My understanding of system automation is that it sets only preamp channel selection appropriately for the remote's input selection key pressed.  Maybe something available on the "Advanced Setup" option?

If I consider it worth going the outboard DAC route, the Qutest will interest me here with its excellent build and lack of batteries.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by ChrisSU

The Qutest doesn’t have the variable output of the Hugo, just the option to select 1V, 2V or 3V output. 2V is about the same as the NDX, so I guess you would want to try it on 1V. 

To be clear about system automation volume control, the Naim separate preamps have a good old fashioned analogue volume pot. If you use a Naim streamer remote/app, it has no idea what the preamp volume setting is. All it can do is activate the little motor in the pre which turns the volume up or down. That’s why you see a +/- control, rather than the slider control used in the all in one devices.