Trouble Shooting Help Please

Posted by: Echolane on 17 December 2018

My music suddenly quit!  I was listening to a stream from my Naim Uniti Core > DAC > Tube Amp > Speakers.

I switched my amp to a different source, my turntable, and it plays music perfectly.  Switched to CD player and it, too, plays music perfectly.

I unplugged the Uniti Core for several minutes and still no music.  Switched off power to DAC and it’s associated components and turned it back on and still no music.

How do I figure out if it’s the Uniti Core or the DAC?   All I can think of doing is to try to route my CD player through the DAC and see if I get music.  That’d mean it’s the Uniti Core.  While I try to remember how to do that, is there anything else I can do to test the Uniti Core?

Janet

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

If it was working before switching using the amp input selectors, and not when switching back, then another possible fault area is the amp input. Is there another amp input to which you could try swapping the cable just to check? And/or disconnect the interconnects at the DAC end, and with the volume initially fairly low hold the interconnect cable by the cable near the plugs, but not the plug body, and touch the protruding pin with a finger (assuming it is an RCA/Phono plug with that central pin). You should hear a hum when you touch, stopping when you lift off - turn up the volume if you don’t. If you don’t get that hum at all either the interconnect or the amp input is the problem, most likely the latter given the circunstances of the start of the problem. 

If all well then your proposal for checking DAC by using the CD player as a source makes sense.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Echolane
Innocent Bystander posted:

If it was working before switching using the amp input selectors, and not when switching back, then another possible fault area is the amp input. Is there another amp input to which you could try swapping the cable just to check? And/or disconnect the interconnects at the DAC end, and with the volume initially fairly low hold the interconnect cable by the cable near the plugs, but not the plug body, and touch the protruding pin with a finger (assuming it is an RCA/Phono plug with that central pin). You should hear a hum when you touch, stopping when you lift off - turn up the volume if you don’t. If you don’t get that hum at all either the interconnect or the amp input is the problem, most likely the latter given the circunstances of the start of the problem. 

If all well then your proposal for checking DAC by using the CD player as a source makes sense.

I was sitting in the living room sofa listening to music when it suddenly stopped in the middle of the album.  It has not come back to life as yet.  

My streamer is Source 2 on my amp, CD Player is Source 1.  I could just swap them and make sure Source 2 is working properly by playing a  CD.  If there’s no music, it’s a problem in the amp.

I strongly suspect the Uniti Core because it used to have a history of sudden stops, though it hasn’t done that in months.  I dread it, but I’m probably going to have to get behind my unit and mess with cables so I can feed my CD player’s music through my DAC.  If I get music, then the problem lies with the Core.  If not, then the fault is in the DAC.

Thanks for the suggestions.

janet

Ah, that indeed sounds more like an issue with the Core. Not anything I Have familiarity with, but assuming it visibly seems to be normal, seemingly responding to the control app,, then it could be worth seeing if there is a factory reset you could do worse than try that. Otherwise after checking the DAC to verify it’s the Core it sounds like Naim Support needed. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Does the Naim app show that music is still playing on the Core? Is the timer still running? If so, the cable may be the easiest thing to check. You could just buy a cheap coax cable to test with, or borrow one from your dealer. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by David Hendon

Janet

I assume you are controlling your Core with the Naim app? If so, can you see all the music in the Core still with the app? If you tell the Core to play, does it behave as you expect? Can you see it counting up second by second as it plays?

You can factory reset the Core but it’s a bit of a faff setting it up again, so I suggest some more fault finding before you try that.

best

David

ChrisSU posted:

Does the Naim app show that music is still playing on the Core? Is the timer still running? If so, the cable may be the easiest thing to check. You could just buy a cheap coax cable to test with, or borrow one from your dealer. 

If a cable then given that both channels affected it would suggest the digital cable not analog interconnect - however  It would be unusual for a cable to fail unless being moved, which I gather it wasn’t.

Problem solved!  This is going to be a bit embarrassing but I have to fess up.....

This morning I set up CD so it feeds DAC and still no music.   It finally occurred to me to check DAC sources and I found DAC switched off its normal “Coax 1” status to “USB”.  Switched DAC back to its normal “Coax 1” source and got music.  Switched to Naim and music played just fine.  

Since I NEVER have to switch sources on my DAC, the only plausible (possible!) explanation is that one of my cats stepped on the remote control and perversely managed to switch sources on me and stopped the music stream in its tracks.  I’ve put the remote away in a drawer so this won’t happen again.  

Back to listening, thankfully.  And thanks to all for trying to help.

Janet

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Glad to hear you’ve solved the problem. Maybe the cats don’t like your taste in music!

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Blaming the cats - that’s a new one.

ChrisSU posted:

Glad to hear you’ve solved the problem. Maybe the cats don’t like your taste in music!

They don't leave the room, even when I am playing my favorite opera music!  OTOH, I have friends and family who would leave the room.....LOL

I have three remotes laying on a sheepskin on top of the big coffee table in front of the sofa.  If my two cats aren't lying against me, they are lying on the sheepskin. Of course it never occurred to me they could do what they did so I didn't check for it. A live and learn moment. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by David Hendon

It would be one of the first things I would think of because our cats are all over things - see my Naim forum avatar for example!

best

David

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Echolane posted:
ChrisSU posted:

They don't leave the room, even when I am playing my favorite opera music!  OTOH, I have friends and family who would leave the room.....LOL

I have three remotes laying on a sheepskin on top of the big coffee table in front of the sofa.  If my two cats aren't lying against me, they are lying on the sheepskin. Of course it never occurred to me they could do what they did so I didn't check for it. A live and learn moment. 

It always surprises me that our cats don’t react at all to music. There have been rare exceptions to this when it’s turned up high and there’s a particularly loud blast at high frequencies, but generally they don’t flinch - but they are lazy beasts!

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Echolane

It surprises me too!  I’m sure cats hear way better than humans.  You would think it would be unpleasant for them to stay in the room.  Maybe we should give them ear muffs ???? so they won’t go deaf in old age.

I am finding the subject of hearing a little depressing.  Lately I’ve become hyper aware of my hearing.  My younger brother by 14 years just started wearing  hearing aids.    My mother and my grandmother both wore hearing aids.   I’m sure my hearing isn’t as good as it used to be.    I’m hoping that a hearing aid fate will pass me by!

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Pardon?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by David Hendon

Your hearing likely won’t be as good as it used to be because that is normal. But early hearing loss doesn’t always get passed down the line. My father had it and I have it, but my two brothers don’t, including the one who looks exactly like my father did at his age so you might think he was genetically the same.

And you may find that giving in to hearing aids doesn’t affect your hifi life as much as you think. I lost interest in listening to music for 10 years or so as my hearing went off and it all came back with a bang when I got my first hearing aids. You have to choose them carefully and have them adjusted for the purpose by an audiologist who is interested and caring but given that, it can bring back sounds you had forgotten you were missing.

On the other hand, it’s not like buying a pair of glasses. It’s much more expensive for a start, but also it’s a journey and not all of it is pleasant. There are false trails and dead ends. But when the time comes, if it does, just go there. It’s no big deal.

best

David