Burndies

Posted by: Richieroo on 18 December 2018

Hi I have left quite a bit of room behind my rack and the rear wall ....... but the new burndies ... to the ND555 are slightly springy and over a day or 2 start touching the rear wall........ there is no twist in the burndy ..... it seems to be the sheer 'new-ness' ... I was tempted to gently warm the burndy with a hair drier to relax it more so it can conform to a sensible shape ........ is it ok to heat the cables up a bit?..........any advice...

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Clive B

I have been shown how to relax the Burndies. It will be difficult to describe, but this is my take on it. You need to flex them along their entire length, flexing back and forth. Then turn the cable through 90 degrees and repeat. Then take one end of the cable in each hand with the plugs orientated so that the wide key is at the 12 o’clock position. Then wiggle the cable by moving your arms about until you feel no significant twisting torque in your hands. (It might look like you’re doing the Birdy Song dance!)

See, I said it would be difficult to describe.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

As someone who does just that, I know exactly what you mean. The key is to form them into the right shape before you plug them in, so there is no strain on the connection between wire and plug, and they will slide straight in. My suggestion to the OP is, if having done this means they still touch the wall, to move the rack further forward. I certainly wouldn’t try heating them into submission. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Clive B posted:

(It might look like you’re doing the Birdy Song dance!)

Any advice for younger Naimers though, Clive?!

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Richieroo

Good advice........I did take great care to try not to pre stress........ my issues is as the cable loops back on itself ... from psu to streamer - it just tends to kick a little .... not much .... in-fact I think given a little time it would just do it itself.....the old nap 500 burndies are perfect........ I will give it another go.......... I am certainly not going to put a 2000w hot air gun on it!!!!

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Bart
Clive B posted:

I have been shown how to relax the Burndies. It will be difficult to describe, but this is my take on it. You need to flex them along their entire length, flexing back and forth. Then turn the cable through 90 degrees and repeat. Then take one end of the cable in each hand with the plugs orientated so that the wide key is at the 12 o’clock position. Then wiggle the cable by moving your arms about until you feel no significant twisting torque in your hands. (It might look like you’re doing the Birdy Song dance!)

Post a video!

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Clive B
Bart posted:
Clive B posted:

Post a video!

Even if I could find a video hosting site and link to it successfully, please be assured that I have no wish to leave a video on-line which might invite a visit from the men in white coats! 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by charnik

The easy part is to find video hosting site. There is one very popular that every one knows. I use it sometimes when a device has problem and service people are far away from the place I live. I shoot a video  and upload it to this site so technicians can see the problem live...

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by yeti42
Clive B posted:
Bart posted:
Clive B posted:

Post a video!

Even if I could find a video hosting site and link to it successfully, please be assured that I have no wish to leave a video on-line which might invite a visit from the men in white coats! 

Worse, it's just the sort of thing to go viral.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by sktn77a
Richieroo posted:

I was tempted to gently warm the burndy with a hair drier to relax it more so it can conform to a sensible shape ........ is it ok to heat the cables up a bit?..........any advice...

Well, if you believe the folks that swear a "cryogenically frozen cable" improves the sound miraculously, then I wouldn't.  Otherwise, I see no harm in it, provided you don't melt anything.............

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by docmark

Why is it verboten to have a Burndy, or for that matter any cable, touch the wall?

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Richieroo

I'm sure I read on this forum in one of the set up guides....that it was bad news to allow burndies to touch the wall. One of mine only just touches....and everything appears to sound great...but hey I was doing my housekeeping checks....and found the dreaded touching burndy....

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by yeti42

If the system is sounding a bit sharp up top I check my speaker cable hasn’t been pushed against the wall by the hoover, it often has been. When I first got my 500 I installed both boxes on adjacent bottom shelves of my Fraim stacks this laid both Burndys along the carpet next to the cable feeding my power block, I really wasn’t impressed by the 500 at all installed like that, a different matter once I’d moved the ps (and the 552 to get away from it) up in the stacks so the Burndys were clear.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richieroo

I am in one stack due to severe space constraints ..... 500ps/552ps/555ps - 500dr/552dr/ND555 ...... it seems to work well. My rack is the Atacama Evoque SE .... with 40mm thick bamboo shelves ........ which seem to give some shielding.........

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richard Dane
docmark posted:

Why is it verboten to have a Burndy, or for that matter any cable, touch the wall?

It seems to sound better when a cable is not touching the wall.  

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Peder
docmark posted:

???? Docmark,...This applies not only to Burndy,..all cables are affected by how they are placed.

Therefore,..”cabledressing" is so important.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Bob_B

Just spent a short while removing all my Burndies and doing the ‘Birdie/Burndy’ Dance’ per the instructions. The ones on the NAP300 in particular looked like they needed a bit of flexing. On power up, immediate impressions were for more precision and refinement through the CDS3 from the off so it will be interesting to hear the results after a day or so of settling time.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Richieroo

Can you point me in the direction of the 'Burndy Dance'........thread   (I can't find one).........or describe the exact dance moves...

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Bob_B

I followed the instructions per the second post in this thread - seemed to work quite well.

One thing I did noticed afterwards was that reconnecting the Burndy connectors took very little effort, they locked into place very quickly.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Bob_B

Another thing I did was move the NAP 300 PSU up a level on the RHS brawn rack so that there was a bit of vertical distance to the NAP 300 head unit on the left hand rack (at the bottom). 555PS is now at the bottom on the RHS.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Clive B
Richieroo posted:

Can you point me in the direction of the 'Burndy Dance'........thread   (I can't find one).........or describe the exact dance moves...

It’s best to do it when no one else is looking, or even better when you’re alone!