Allo digione vs Schiit Eitr/Gustard U12 ?

Posted by: analogmusic on 18 December 2018

Has anyone been able to compare the SPDIF out of the allo digi one (any version) to the Schiit Eitr or Gustard U12

This would be in to a Chord DAC which has galvanic USB input such a Hugo TT, Qutest or Dave.

I was using USB into my Dave, but possibly my laptop isn't quite good enough for the job, I noted that a friend's Dave sounds better than mine, using HDX and an Auralic streamer as a source....

Also got to compare the SPDIF of the auralic vs the USB output, and the coax SPDIF sounded preferable to me, less glare, and more musical, the flow of music seemed better to my ears. But switching back to my battery powered laptop, the issues seemed to go away. so maybe it's an auralic/Chord Dave interaction issue.

a New laptop would cost more than the allo digione, so wanted to gather some feedback before pressing the "buy" button.

The Eitr is quite reasonably prices, but maybe a native SPDIF streamer would sound better that avoids going through USB.

I did note my squeeze box touch through optical out and coax out into my Chord Dave sounded more musical to my ears...

All feedback is welcome...

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Stop messing about and get yourself an NDX ????

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by OuYang

I will pick DigiOne for BNC S/PDIF, all Chord desktop DACs use BNC.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by nbpf
analogmusic posted:

Has anyone been able to compare the SPDIF out of the allo digi one (any version) to the Schiit Eitr or Gustard U12

This would be in to a Chord DAC which has galvanic USB input such a Hugo TT, Qutest or Dave.

I was using USB into my Dave, but possibly my laptop isn't quite good enough for the job, I noted that a friend's Dave sounds better than mine, using HDX and an Auralic streamer as a source....

Also got to compare the SPDIF of the auralic vs the USB output, and the coax SPDIF sounded preferable to me, less glare, and more musical, the flow of music seemed better to my ears. But switching back to my battery powered laptop, the issues seemed to go away. so maybe it's an auralic/Chord Dave interaction issue.

a New laptop would cost more than the allo digione, so wanted to gather some feedback before pressing the "buy" button.

The Eitr is quite reasonably prices, but maybe a native SPDIF streamer would sound better that avoids going through USB.

I did note my squeeze box touch through optical out and coax out into my Chord Dave sounded more musical to my ears...

All feedback is welcome...

I have both the Allo DigiOne, the Schiit Eitr and the DigiOne Signature. Connected to a Naim DAC, I find the DigiOne and the Eitr to be comparable (although different) in sound quality and the DigiOne Signature to be superior to both when powered with a good power supply.

If you have a good power supply for the clean side of the Signature, I would not hesitate recommending it. I use an UpTone Audio LPS-1.2 to power the clean side and an UpTone Audio JS-2 to power the dirty side of the Signature. The JS-2 also powers the LPS-1.2.

If you run MinimServer (or any other UPnP server) and upmpdcli on the RPi that hosts the DigiOne (Signature), you do not need any further NAS, streamer or other transport. Upmpdcli also gives you access to internet radio, Qobuz, Tidal, etc.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by analogmusic

thanks, that's very encouraging for the Allo Digione signature. The cost of Roon was putting me off it, but it looks like Roon is not really required.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by nbpf
analogmusic posted:

thanks, that's very encouraging for the Allo Digione signature. The cost of Roon was putting me off it, but it looks like Roon is not really required.

Sure, unless you are interested in the way of interacting with your music collection that is the trademark of Roon, there is no point in running an expensive server that requires a rather powerful computer.

And if you are also not interested in upsampling, a Raspberry Pi running MinimServer is probably all you need. Running upmpdcli on the same RPi makes it a simple and straightforward server + renderer + storage solution with support for Tidal and Qobuz gapless replay and internet radio.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
nbpf posted:
analogmusic posted:

Sure, unless you are interested in the way of interacting with your music collection that is the trademark of Roon, there is no point in running an expensive server that requires a rather powerful computer.

And if you are also not interested in upsampling, a Raspberry Pi running MinimServer is probably all you need. Running upmpdcli on the same RPi makes it a simple and straightforward server + renderer + storage solution with support for Tidal and Qobuz gapless replay and internet radio.

The potential problem - I don’t know how real, as very little music has highe resolution - is that my understanding is that SPDIF is limited to24/192. Also I seem to recall that Rob Watts thinks Dave is better driven by USB - with a lot of effort expended in rejection of ground plane modulation.

My other question - rhetorical because maybe no-one has compared - is how RPi/DigiOne, compares with Audirvana fully optimised (including a dedicated USB bus and bypassing Mac’s Core Audio) and the MAC running dedicated and headless. I would love to move away from Audirvana because if it’s poor (to me) file handling, but a replacement has to be at least as good for sound quality - and of course affordable! RPi/DigiOne might be the answer.....  Any comparative info anyone can offer greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Frank Yang
analogmusic posted:

I stopped Roon subscription because I could not find a good justification for the cost.

I would reconsider Roon again if  its pricing model is more reasonable.

Frank Yang posted:
analogmusic posted:

I stopped Roon subscription because I could not find a good justification for the cost.

I didn’t find Roon brought any advantage, while I disliked its social media-like feel (share what I’m listening to with my friends? Really?). I also found the intended seemless integration with Tidal annoying - of course I might think differently if I used Tidal, I have no interest in ever using a subscription service.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Sloop John B

I really can’t get this “cost of Roon” issue for people who could get a lifetime subscription to Roon for half the price (approx) of a hiline. 

Fair enough people not finding it to their liking but seriously, it’s the best money I have EVER spent on Hifi.

I’ve just spent the evening going from Miles Davis to Polly Jean Harvey, via Lowell Fulson and Dexter Gordon..... and I’ve not felt the need to “share”. 

.sjb

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by OuYang

I use Allo DigiOne Player for it's good quality BNC ouput and running Roon Bridge software written by Roon Labs. Software quality should also be considered in RPi based product.

Things will be a little complicated if you want to use USB output:

1. USB port on some RPi boards is not a good choice because Ethernet and USB share the same controller, they may suffer when using Ethernet and USB output to DAC together. Using add-on USB HAT is much better.

2. Make sure your USB DAC is supported by Linux ALSA without bugs. Some USB DAC can't get Native DSD support in Linux and some suffer by XMOS firmware issue inside DAC.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by WilcoFT
Innocent Bystander posted:
Frank Yang posted:
analogmusic posted:

I didn’t find Roon brought any advantage, while I disliked its social media-like feel (share what I’m listening to with my friends? Really?). I also found the intended seemless integration with Tidal annoying - of course I might think differently if I used Tidal, I have no interest in ever using a subscription service.

Funny, I’ve been using it for two years and never noticed any sharing functionality.   I’m not saying  it’s not there, I’ve just never noticed it.  What difference does it make in any case? 

I also don’t understand your Tidal comment at all.  If you don’t use it, how could you find Roon’s interaction with it annoying? Does it still show Tidal albums or something?

Also, I frankly don’t understand why you would be against streaming services as a concept.  It’s a great way to sample music.  I don’t happen to think it’s a substitute for buying music, because I also like to own my music that way it never disappears. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by WilcoFT
Sloop John B posted:

I really can’t get this “cost of Roon” issue for people who could get a lifetime subscription to Roon for half the price (approx) of a hiline. 

Fair enough people not finding it to their liking but seriously, it’s the best money I have EVER spent on Hifi.

sjb

I also find the cost argument strange on this forum.  I still think $500 is a lot of money.  But I don’t regret buying a lifetime subscription because it makes digital music so much more enjoyable.  It was worth every penny. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Frank Yang

It is not strange to me! I find Roon offer good user experience, but "no" sound improvement, in fact I find Roon make things sound worse on some occasions. So it is hard for me to justify the cost as it is now.

Plus no Qobuz integration, a real show stopper.

WilcoFT posted:

Funny, I’ve been using it for two years and never noticed any sharing functionality.   I’m not saying  it’s not there, I’ve just never noticed it.  What difference does it make in any case? 

I also don’t understand your Tidal comment at all.  If you don’t use it, how could you find Roon’s interaction with it annoying? Does it still show Tidal albums or something?

Also, I frankly don’t understand why you would be against streaming services as a concept.  It’s a great way to sample music.  I don’t happen to think it’s a substitute for buying music, because I also like to own my music that way it never disappears. 

Well, messages popped up on screen, just like Facebook, and I hate Facebook. And yes, Tudal seemed ever-present in the interface, although I am not a subscriber.

I use free online streaming services like Spotify and uTube to sample new music. Why should I pay a subscription?  Sound quality isn’t paramount for that function - if I like it enough to be bothered I’ll buy it. And I wouldn’t want to rely on a remote subscription provider for availability of my music, depending on them to keep stocking in perpetuity, no breaks in service, etc.  Of course, if you’re happy with the cost and service then it is up to you - just if no interest to me - I’m not against their existence, just against paying, and if not using it I don’t want it’s constant visibility as Roon seemed to present.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by nbpf
Innocent Bystander posted:
nbpf posted:
analogmusic posted:

The potential problem - I don’t know how real, as very little music has highe resolution - is that my understanding is that SPDIF is limited to24/192. Also I seem to recall that Rob Watts thinks Dave is better driven by USB - with a lot of effort expended in rejection of ground plane modulation.

My other question - rhetorical because maybe no-one has compared - is how RPi/DigiOne, compares with Audirvana fully optimised (including a dedicated USB bus and bypassing Mac’s Core Audio) and the MAC running dedicated and headless. I would love to move away from Audirvana because if it’s poor (to me) file handling, but a replacement has to be at least as good for sound quality - and of course affordable! RPi/DigiOne might be the answer.....  Any comparative info anyone can offer greatly appreciated!

If you are not satisfied with the file or metadata handling of Audirvana and your DAC is optimized for a USB input, then I would first consider alternatives to Audirvana with outstanding USB outputs.

Here you have essentially two pathways: you can go for a commercial server with dedicated USB outputs like the Melco, InnuOS, Antipodes, etc. or again rely on a off-the-shelf device, possibly paired with an ISO Regen. The Pink Faun solutions are something in between.

The advantages and disadvantages of the two pathways should be pretty obvious. If I were in your situation I would probably start with a bare Raspberry Pi  and a minimal Raspbian installation. This would allow you to investigate the question of whether a UPnP server like MinimServer or Asset and a renderer like upmpdcli running on the same machine would give you the file and metadata handling that you are missing in Audirvana.

Answering this question will cost you about 40 EUR and some time. If the answer is negative, than you do not need to look any further.

If the answer is positive, than you move to the next question: whether it is possible to setup a system based on MinimServer (Asset) + upmpdcli that matched the sound quality of optimized Audirvana + dedicated mac mini. This might turn out to be impossible or to require replacing the RPi with a more powerful device like a NUC or a fitPC fitlet2 and perhaps installing an OS like AudioLinux.

But here too, you could start by simply connecting the RPi to your DAC and compare it to Audirvana + mac mini. No matter what comes out, I think that having a dedicated, headless, plug-and-play RPi running MinimServer and upmpdcli would be a very good basis for starting answering more difficult questions.

WilcoFT posted:

I also find the cost argument strange on this forum.  I still think $500 is a lot of money.  But I don’t regret buying a lifetime subscription because it makes digital music so much more enjoyable.  It was worth every penny. 

If you find whatever Roon gives to be with the money that is great, and nothing stopping you - but that is a judgement call on how much you like the bells and whistles that it adds compared to other library software, which clearly is variable. Clearly to some it is worth it but others not, so the cost argument is hardly surprising, whether in this forum or elsewhere. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Thanks for detaile comments NBPF.

I’m well aware of Innuos and Melco , and even wondered about the Core, but was thinking that may be the way I’d lean when my Mac Mini reaches end of days.

The limitation of players usable on my Mac Mini (my store) seems to be that as far as I am aware only Audirvana is able to bypass the Mac’s own sound drivers, and it can even reserve a USB bus , which is likely to be the limiting factor of other software tenderers. That diesn’t Mean I shouldn’t try them , which I may do when I have time.

I hadn't thought of RPi rendering, only having recognised it as a potential NAS - which I wondered about linked to  micriRendu, and I’ve been loosely following the ‘Hugo of streaming’ thread, though a bit nonplussed by the complexity it has taken some people through (though partly it seems that is just people indulging their hobby). The DigiOne had passed me by until this thread caught my eye. After my above post I did some digging, and amongst other things found your thread on the DigiOne Signature from back in August, which I am part way through reading, with interest.   

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Suzy Wong

If you are interested in going down the Raspberry Pi route, then Google for Moode Audio & especially Volumio. The latter do a range of prebuilt units.