System Automation Question

Posted by: Zipperheadbanjo on 18 December 2018

I set up System Automation tonight and everything is working grand with one exception. When I select any of the digital inputs on my NDX 2, the preamp input switches to input 1 (which is my turntable).

No clue why this is happening as the NDX 2 input is input 2 on my preamp, and is set accordingly in the Naim app.

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by feeling_zen

If it is anything like the original NDX, you need to configure the inputs also in system automation menu. So that it knows which input belongs to the NDX. If you have the NDX plugged into CD for example, you need to tell it that so that any input selection on the App selects CD instead of something else.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by cdboy

I wonder if once you set it try a power down of the NDX2 and an app close/open/ Worth a go. ( I have mine in input 1 so not an issue).

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Zipperheadbanjo
cdboy posted:

I wonder if once you set it try a power down of the NDX2 and an app close/open/ Worth a go. ( I have mine in input 1 so not an issue).

I'll try that.. maybe first I'll try just switching the inputs and connecting my NDX to preamp input 1 and the Turntable to preamp input 2.. If that doesn't resolve it I'll try the reboot.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Clive B

I may be wrong, but I think input one is always the streamer on the new streamer platforms. IIRC there is no option to rename input one. The solution is to reassign the turntable to another input on the preamp and set that up on the iPad too.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Zipperheadbanjo

So... I tried a hard shutdown of the NDX and a full restart of my phone... didn't resolve the problem. Tried switching the inputs the leads were plugged into. Didn't fix the problem.

Ultimately, I was able to fix the problem in the setup menu under system automation... I changed the input in the app settings... telling the app that the NDX was connected to preamp input 1 instead of input 2. And despite the fact that the NDX is actually connected to input 2, this did the trick.

So go figure.

Everything is now working as it should though.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by LarsDK

You need to specify which preamp input your ndx2 is connected to. In app under system automation, you can choose this - preamp 1, 2, 3 etc. Br Lars

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Zipperheadbanjo
LarsDK posted:

You need to specify which preamp input your ndx2 is connected to. In app under system automation, you can choose this - preamp 1, 2, 3 etc. Br Lars

I did that Lars. If I specify the input the NDX is actually plugged into (input 1), it switches to the input 2 when I choose any of the NDX features (internet radio, server, etc).. When I specify the that the NDX is plugged into input 2 (which is actually occupied by my phono preamp),only  will the correct NDX preamp input (input 1) selection occur when I choose to play music from any of my NDX sources.

So... go figure. All I know is that it's working... despite the wonky settings.