Tempted by the Black Edition LS50

Posted by: Bouba on 19 December 2018

Hey all, 

As per the topic's subject, I'm very tempted to buy a pair of LS50 in the all black edition. Did anyone here see these in the flesh? I owned the regular gloss black version with the rose gold woofer and remember it was very prone to scracthes and a real fingerprint magnet, and ended up selling it at a good price although i loved how they sounded. 

KEF website mentions "black powder coated" and the finish seems kind of mate black. So I'm very tempted to buy one but was just wondering if some here had a chance to see them in real life environment and whether the color is a real black or rather a dark anthracite color ? 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by spurrier sucks

Haven’t seen in the flesh but the pics do look good. I almost ordered a pair a couple of weeks ago myself to replace my Totem Mites but decided to hold off. The discounted price now is very attractive also. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Richieroo

Hi these are fantastic speakers ......... it looks to me that the cabinet has been changed to match the original front baffle ......... of course the cone is black anodised......... they look amazing. However, I would imagine it would still be a finger print magnet......... (you will just have to stop smoothing your cute speakers..........get a cat!)

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Bouba
Richieroo posted:

Hi these are fantastic speakers ......... it looks to me that the cabinet has been changed to match the original front baffle ......... of course the cone is black anodised......... they look amazing. However, I would imagine it would still be a finger print magnet......... (you will just have to stop smoothing your cute speakers..........get a cat!)

ha ha ha , I do think I'm gonna give these a  shot, for my office's system, should work a charm with the Atom and blend nicely into my deemed atmosphere. 

so you do think theses will also attract dust ? 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Richieroo

Yes but you will not see it as much ........ my glossy pmc 20.21's are lethal ........ as LS50 Black is  - satin ish ......... it should be great and hardly visable. I love the black anodised driver........ its like a little Darth Vader.......... of a speaker........I think the technical custom car term is 'murdered'.......... (lowered with everything black) Thinking about my last reply I should have said black pussy.........ha ha

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Perol

Just checked these black-edition up

I have the old glossblack/Orange LS50 and not sure I ever get used to the imposing orange unit - Thats until I browsed the full Red ones..pig ugly -, the sound however are great, love them ! (Allways use gloves when moving them)

When will they manage to offer a removeable protecting grill ?, Can't be that difficult to create !

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by GoJets

i demoed the all black ls50 for a couple weeks. Here in western Canada, it was at a 10% cost premium over the rose and gloss black version. Worth it in my humble opinion, beauty-wise. Very attractive tactile powdercoated matte look with what looks like tiny silver granite chips to give a slight sparkle....best way I can describe it.