The Spirit of Turtle – The art of recording

Posted by: TomSer on 19 December 2018

The Spirit of Turtle – The art of recording

A few months ago, I discovered a small label: North Star Recordings. Bert van der Wolf drives the label and is the main sound engineer.

I’ll make it short : the recordings are amazing!

If you enjoy acoustic music, then you should really give Bert’s recordings a try.

You can download his recordings directly from his website called “ The Spirit of Turtle” (google : The Spirit of Turtle Records).

He offers his records in many formats: PCM up to 24bits/352,8 KHz and upto DSD256

This leads us to the fact that many people, including some artists, consider the process of recording as part of the musical performance. Jean Rondeau, a great and well known harpsichord player, is one those artists.

Technology isn’t sufficient. A good recording requires more. Just like playing the piano requires more than just raw Technic.

What do you think about that statement? Is recording some form of art?

Give some of Bert’s recordings a try, they are really worth it!

As a starter, I recommend the Beethoven’s piano trios (Van Baerle Trio) and Bruckner’s 6th symphony, the last movement is amazing (Jaap van Zweden).

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

I agree with you, those recordings are great.., and the spirit of turtle a nice small Webshop with good music.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by TomSer

Interresting : during December The Spirit of Turtle offers 19% on all purchases

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Gavin B

Buzz Bros Band - Authentic Turtle is available as a free download. Just downloading now!

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by TomSer
Gavin B posted:

Buzz Bros Band - Authentic Turtle is available as a free download. Just downloading now!

There are some other free downloads available.
Filter the albums by price and you'll find them all.

Let us know your opinion regarding the recording quality 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Gavin B
TomSer posted:
Gavin B posted:

There are some other free downloads available.
Filter the albums by price and you'll find them all.

Let us know your opinion regarding the recording quality 

Thanks - I've downloaded four more! Will let you know my thoughts when I eventually get to listen to them.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by TomSer

My last downloads for The Spirit Of Turtle (in 24Bits/352kHz)

Amazing sound quality and great interpretation.

The Prokofiev suite of symphonies is stunning and so are Bruckner's 8th and 3d.

The first 10 minutes of Bruckner's 8th final is really worth the downloading the whole album!!!

-20% at the moment, btw.

Hope to enjoy these records even more when the ND555/NAC552 arrives 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

I will also get the Prokofiev set..., and perhaps some more...