Help needed

Posted by: M2bfx on 19 December 2018

ok so I am a person who changes his mind over the years, and I have decided to yet again get back into the world of Hifi again. I currently have meridian 551 etc and moving over to Naim, what is the best way to go.

i have a new P3 turntable with MM mk3 and looking to stream music at a later date.

Should I go for XS or Supernait 2.. running B&W CDM 7NT speakers and want a more tighter deeper base, and a clearer sound space. 

Thanks 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by cdboy

Hi M2BFX. I think you know the answer. The dearer amp will sound better ...

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by M2bfx

Thanks for that 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

The thing is, the P3 is really not good enough for the Supernait, and the speakers aren’t really up to it either. You need to consider how much you really want to spend. I’d have thought that the Nait XS would be a good place to start.  

Oh....ok so the New Rega P3 is not good enough, what would you have recommended, I realise that the B&W are not good, but was thinking of buying Fyne or likewise...I’m considering going down the route of streaming in the New Year, so guess the SN would be ok for that, providing I look for better speakers. 

Just I thought the XS would be a step backwards

Still I guess the SN or the XS would sound better than my old Meridian 551 etc

many thanks 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

If records are a serious source for you, then the P6 or P8 would be more appropriate. One thought - for the price of a Supernait you could get a used 272 and 200, and get streaming at the same time. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Bart

Rather than just buying a piece at a time and then looking back to figure out what system you've assembled . . . take the time now to figure out what your budget is and where you want to end up.  No hurry to acquire a Nait XS or SN2, as both are pretty commonly available on the used market. (I assume you're looking at used?? You should.)

While some (a few) will say that the Nait XS is a bit 'lighter on its feet,' most will say that the SN2 is superior in every way.  It's a pretty solid proposition with Naim that the higher up on the ladder an item is, the better it performs to the ears of 90+% of the listening customers. I started with a Nait XS2 and traded up to the SN2 after about a year.  Was always happy with that move.  The SN2 will be a very fine pairing with a Naim streamer - ND5 family or NDX family.  Again, which streamer will depend on your budget.  Given that new streamers have just been released, nice used version of the prior series (ND5XS, NDX, NDS) all can be found at a substantial discount to their prices new.

Do you have a budget it mind? If so, just take a look at used prices on the websites of the major UK dealers and the major online used equipment sites.

Many thanks for the advice, I am unfortunately one of those who always buys something new....then sells it for something better later on. The chaps at work love me, as they know they will get a bargain.

will have a series think about what I do now. 

Thanks again

Not to complicate things, but Hungry Halibut's idea about a N272 and NAP 200 is well worth considering.  The N272 is one of those pieces that "hits above it's weight" in the Naim lineup.  I've heard the N272 + NAP 250 combination and it was very impressive.  I would predict that you'd be at least as pleased with a 272 + 200 as you'd be with a SN2 + a separate streamer.  WELL worth considering!  

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Timmo1341
M2bfx posted:

Many thanks for the advice, I am unfortunately one of those who always buys something new....then sells it for something better later on. The chaps at work love me, as they know they will get a bargain.

Thanks again

Likewise! I tend to keep what I buy in this sort of market for a good few years, by which time what I paid for it has faded into insignificance! I feel envious on occasions of those who seem to pick up fantastic bargains with second hand equipment, but of course we never hear of those occasions when it all goes horribly wrong - most people tend not to broadcast it when they’ve been sold a pup!

Timmo1341 posted:
M2bfx posted:

Thanks again

Likewise! I tend to keep what I buy in this sort of market for a good few years, by which time what I paid for it has faded into insignificance! I feel envious on occasions of those who seem to pick up fantastic bargains with second hand equipment, but of course we never hear of those occasions when it all goes horribly wrong - most people tend not to broadcast it when they’ve been sold a pup!

When buying less-than-top-of-the-ladder Naim boxes, it's easy to find a dealer who has helped another customer trade up and thus has the traded-in pieces to sell off.  As we all know, some like to upgrade relatively rapidly.  My current 252, SCDR and 250DR all were in someone's home for less than 2 years.  That same someone bought a 300 from my Dealer, and currently is trading up to a NAP 500.  So that 300 becomes available.  Nice discount from new . . . a year or so away from it's initial unboxing . . . WHY NOT?  

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

I can’t comment on the speakers but with a good phono stage the Rega P3 will sound superb with the SN2.  Further, the SN2 will act as the heart of the system for years to come allowing upgrades to source components. 

Regards,

Lindsay

Bart posted:
Timmo1341 posted:
M2bfx posted:

Thanks again

When buying less-than-top-of-the-ladder Naim boxes, it's easy to find a dealer who has helped another customer trade up and thus has the traded-in pieces to sell off.  As we all know, some like to upgrade relatively rapidly.  My current 252, SCDR and 250DR all were in someone's home for less than 2 years.  That same someone bought a 300 from my Dealer, and currently is trading up to a NAP 500.  So that 300 becomes available.  Nice discount from new . . . a year or so away from it's initial unboxing . . . WHY NOT?  

Absolutely no reason, Bart. All I would say though, is that without buyers like me and M2bfx there wouldn’t be any second hand bargains to be had! Swap all the second hand gear around as much as you like, someone has to kick off the cycle by buying new (and of course without us Naim would go bust within months!).

Timmo1341 posted:
Bart posted:
Timmo1341 posted:
M2bfx posted:

Thanks again

Absolutely no reason, Bart. All I would say though, is that without buyers like me and M2bfx there wouldn’t be any second hand bargains to be had! Swap all the second hand gear around as much as you like, someone has to kick off the cycle by buying new (and of course without us Naim would go bust within months!).

Indeed, and I'm grateful

The Strat (Fender) posted:

I can’t comment on the speakers but with a good phono stage the Rega P3 will sound superb with the SN2.  Further, the SN2 will act as the heart of the system for years to come allowing upgrades to source components. 

Regards,

Lindsay

It does have the latest Rega MM mk3 stage which I all unused at moment, my speakers are old and need replacing at some point. Just not happy with the sound, so moving my meridian 551 amp in favour of something with a bit more power and a tighter deeper bottom end. Loads have said that it’s my meridian that needs changing. Used to have old leek valve stuff then quad 33 then 405:2. Runnng the old Tannoy little red monitor ...then changed it all again.

Thanks for your advice 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Peder

???? M2BFX,...As many here have said,buying "second hand..pre-loved” allows you to get a much better music-system for the same money as buying a new one.

And with Naim you can always refurbish,recapp..so then you have basically a brand new product again,when it's time to do that.
In other words,Naim has a very good secondary value.

But of course,it requires a little more knowledge to buy "second hand",..that's probably why you ask questions here ????.

?But,..you must NEVER forget,that the installation of your music-system is of crucial importance to how it will play.
This is harder to perform than many want to realize,and takes years..or even decades to learn to be really good.
It's no knowledge you can read to,it's all about experience.

If you do not have that experience yourself,..then it is well invested money to put a few bucks on any knowledgeable that will help you with it.

I don't want to be rude,but when you look at many pictures of music-system,..here and on other forums.
I often think..Oops,Oops,Oops..that guy would really need help to get his music-system to play optimally.
Forgive me Huge,..but it is more common that guys have this interest ????????.

For example: Hungryhalibut suggested a possible upgrade of your turntable to a better Rega.

I would suggest a pre-loved Linn Axis,..but then you should let someone knowledgeable on that turntable give it a really thorough service.
I mention a few things....

?Check the bearings and change the oil in the bearing.
?Solder again all soldering in cables etc.
?Retighten all screws to the correct torque,and set the correct height.
?Change Strap,and..IMPORTANTLY,mount it right, there are four ways to mount it on...One way plays best.
A savvy on Linn turntable should be able to do this.
?Mark up the correct electrical phase,does not apply to UK.
?Check tonearm,..swing-test etc. 

????And the most important,recapping the "engine control card".
This last thing is the difference between a tired old turntable,..and one that plays with PrAT, Timing, Dynamics, Musicality and Energy.

This above sounds a lot,but for a savvy it goes quite fast to do this work.

In that Linn Axis is quite cheap in purchasing second hand,..so if you have to pay to get these things done,..then you will have a very very good and musical turntable for pennies.

This was just some written down little tips,which will bring you closer to your goal...
To acquire a music-system without having to sell the house and you car ????????????.

Good luck...
/Peder ????

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

What would a Linn Axis provide over the Rega?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by HiFiman

Best Rega I owned was the P25 punched well above it's weight and there's one or two on the used market, much preferred the P25 over the RP3 or 6.

HH suggestion a used 272/200 is a good one and further upgrades can be made once the wallet recovers.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Christopher_M
The Strat (Fender) posted:

What would a Linn Axis provide over the Rega?

Motor trouble

M2bfx posted:

i have a new P3 turntable with MM mk3 and looking to stream music at a later date.

Should I go for XS or Supernait 2.. running B&W CDM 7NT speakers and want a more tighter deeper base, and a clearer sound space. 

Thanks 

Is it too late to change it for the excellent Planar 6?

Peder posted:

???? M2BFX,...As many here have said,buying "second hand..pre-loved” allows you to get a much better music-system for the same money as buying a new one.

And with Naim you can always refurbish,recapp..so then you have basically a brand new product again,when it's time to do that.
In other words,Naim has a very good secondary value.

But of course,it requires a little more knowledge to buy "second hand",..that's probably why you ask questions here ????.

?But,..you must NEVER forget,that the installation of your music-system is of crucial importance to how it will play.
This is harder to perform than many want to realize,and takes years..or even decades to learn to be really good.
It's no knowledge you can read to,it's all about experience.

If you do not have that experience yourself,..then it is well invested money to put a few bucks on any knowledgeable that will help you with it.

I don't want to be rude,but when you look at many pictures of music-system,..here and on other forums.
I often think..Oops,Oops,Oops..that guy would really need help to get his music-system to play optimally.
Forgive me Huge,..but it is more common that guys have this interest ????????.

For example: Hungryhalibut suggested a possible upgrade of your turntable to a better Rega.

I would suggest a pre-loved Linn Axis,..but then you should let someone knowledgeable on that turntable give it a really thorough service.
I mention a few things....

?Check the bearings and change the oil in the bearing.
?Solder again all soldering in cables etc.
?Retighten all screws to the correct torque,and set the correct height.
?Change Strap,and..IMPORTANTLY,mount it right, there are four ways to mount it on...One way plays best.
A savvy on Linn turntable should be able to do this.
?Mark up the correct electrical phase,does not apply to UK.
?Check tonearm,..swing-test etc. 

????And the most important,recapping the "engine control card".
This last thing is the difference between a tired old turntable,..and one that plays with PrAT, Timing, Dynamics, Musicality and Energy.

This above sounds a lot,but for a savvy it goes quite fast to do this work.

In that Linn Axis is quite cheap in purchasing second hand,..so if you have to pay to get these things done,..then you will have a very very good and musical turntable for pennies.

This was just some written down little tips,which will bring you closer to your goal...
To acquire a music-system without having to sell the house and you car ????????????.

Good luck...
/Peder ????

I can kick myself as I nearly bought an immaculate linn axis on line for £400 and I ended up paying £700 for the Rega P3. I have always wanted a. Linn ...maybe someday

many thanks 

Christopher_M posted:
M2bfx posted:

Thanks 

I bought the P1...then read a review and changed it for a white P3 then the wife said “white”.....so it went back and I got the Black, had to pay £200 extra as my Meridian 551 didnt have a MM stage....aaagh guess if I went back they would chuck it at me ....cheers

M2bfx posted:
Christopher_M posted:
M2bfx posted:

Thanks 

I bought the P1...then read a review and changed it for a white P3 then the wife said “white”.....so it went back and I got the Black, had to pay £200 extra as my Meridian 551 didnt have a MM stage....aaagh guess if I went back they would chuck it at me ....cheers

I'd be surprised if the dealer was to turn your extra money away

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Really surprised if anyone's suggesting a linn axis would be a step up to any new Rega deck ...at best it might match one of the lower Rega,s

Had an axis / lp12 / Rega 3 and now have a P8

Yes the LP12 was the best sounding ...but P8 is 90% there for less than 30% price tag ..

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by yeti42

You say you like to buy new. If you’re UK based there are a lot of Naim dealers with demo stock and a lot of them offer home demos. A session at a dealer’s listening to a few options might be a good way to start, take your amp and speakers if you can but under quote your budget a bit, they’re very good at tempting you beyond it. Once you’ve got an idea of what would suit you a home trial is the next step. Pedar is right about setup being key (though I disagree about the Linn turntable) and you’re in with a chance that a UK Naim dealer will know what he’s doing and will set the system up for you. I’ve not had so much luck with a dealer in France however, I even had to solder my own speaker cable plugs (Naim specific ones, there’s a knack).

Bart posted:
Timmo1341 posted:
Bart posted:
Timmo1341 posted:
M2bfx posted:

Thanks again

Indeed, and I'm grateful

Just pop the tangible expression of appreciation into a plain brown envelope and leave at the usual drop point!