Powerline fuse?

Posted by: easeback1 on 19 December 2018

Managed to blow fuses in my NAP 250 DR & Powerline mains cable. Switched to the spare fuse on the 250, but does anyone know the recommended fuse for the Powerline plug (UK) ? Can't find anything in the manual...

TIA

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Filipe
easeback1 posted:

Managed to blow fuses in my NAP 250 DR & Powerline mains cable. Switched to the spare fuse on the 250, but does anyone know the recommended fuse for the Powerline plug (UK) ? Can't find anything in the manual...

TIA

Best get your dealer to provide some. They are special, and Naim usually supply the dealer. According to some the orientation matters for SQ!

I blew the fuse by not pushing the Powerline in fully before easing it a bit.

Phil

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Richard Dane

What's the fuse that was in there?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by HiFiman

A special fuse for the Powerline plug top?

I hope not as Russ Andrews charge a fortune for theirs.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by hifi-dog

controversial i know but i put an AMR fuse (£25) in mine and it made a subtle difference - not in the camp of spending £130 on one like some other here have!!

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by james n

It's a standard 13A fuse. Naim have favourites (Marbo ?) and supposedly a favoured direction but it's just a normal 13A fuse, no snake oil here...

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Drewy

Just taken a fuse out of my 552 powerline and it seems to be branded SEM, is 13amp, conforms to BS1362 and also says “lead free” on it. 

Its just a fuse

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Mike-B

My two PL-Lite's have different fuse brands,  not sure what (& no I'm not going to open them again)   but they are something I easily recognised as normal BS1362 13A otherwise I would have changed them.      

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by easeback1

Thanks for the replies. At the time of writing I couldn't actually get the Powerline plug open in order to check the fuse. 

A new screwdriver did the trick. Yes, the fuse is a standard SEM BS 1362 13A. Tried an identical fuse from an MK plug, but PL remains kaput. Will contact the dealer. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by ChrisSU

If you managed to blow both fuses at the same time, there is presumably a fault elsewhere in your system or cabling. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richard Dane

As Chris says above, continual fuse blowing is an indication of a fault somewhere.  

If using a Powerline, make sure the IEC end is fully pushed home.  The jaws are very tight (done to the allowed limit) and so once past the first resistance you still need to go further. The tight grip of the jaws inside the IEC plug ensures a really good contact, but you do need to get the socket pins to go in there first! A Powerline that isn't connected properly can arc and blow both the equipment fuse as well as the plug fuse.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by easeback1

I tried (slightly) moving the NAP 250 while it was still on, so 100% my fault. Lazy, careless, etc. Won't do it again. The standard Naim power lead is working fine as a replacement.

But having blown the PL fuse, I'm wondering why a change of fuse hasn't solved the problem... 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Best have your dealer check it out.