CD 5x display bleeding... anyone knows way?

Posted by: naka on 19 December 2018

Hello to all

For the last year or so my CD 5x display is bleeding, showing a kind of wet spot behind the glass ... anyone knows way?

It started with a small spot on the right bottom corner and it is now covering a couple of digits, but the numbers are working.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by PSAN

That's a regularly occurring issue on certain generations of displays. Search the forum and you'll find a number of posts on the subject.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Would probably be repaired free at next service if you can wait that long...

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Richard Dane

It can happen when the display filter touches the LED panel and "sticks".  A common thing to happen when little fingers press on the display window. Once the filter touches it just tends to get worse with time.  You can either live with it, or take it to your dealer who may be able to fix it for you - a bigger job that you'd think though...

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by sjw

I don't really understand why displays should be a problem on a premium price product and they should always be replaced free.....

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by HiFiman
sjw posted:

I don't really understand why displays should be a problem on a premium price product and they should always be replaced free.....

I agree, let's hope the latest generation of displays on the new Naim streamers are made to last unlike the OP CD above and the huge amount of UQ, NDX etc etc

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richard Dane

This is a completely different thing - see my post above. The display still works just fine, it's just the filter beginning to stick to the panel if the display window is pushed in to the point where it makes contact - after a while it can begin to look like a sort of oily slick on the display background.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by HiFiman

Point taken Richard but in hindsight glass should have been used instead of plastic around the LED display to stop tiny fingers pushing the plastic into the display.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

One could of course argue that parents should be preventing their children from poking the displays. To say that Naim ‘should’ do this or that achieves nothing. If a display on say your car gets damaged by being poked, that isn’t replaced free, is it? 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by HiFiman
hungryhalibut posted:

One could of course argue that parents should be preventing their children from poking the displays. To say that Naim ‘should’ do this or that achieves nothing. If a display on say your car gets damaged by being poked, that isn’t replaced free, is it? 

Why does my statement regarding a glass screen achieve nothing, a premium product should be built to last.

I think glass or toughened plastic is a good idea and should be implemented of future designs.

Anyway kids in cars should have their seat belts on and watched 100% of the time whilst in a vehicle unlike the home unless you think seat belts should be fitted to a sofa in the listening room.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Charles44
sjw posted:

I agree with this comment having had a problem with the logo on my cd player just sort of fading away and it being returned for replacement under warrenty. The expectation when buying such a "premium" product is that they would be relatively trouble free, certainly not having this type minor issue. I have never seen an explanation from Naim management stating why such niggles occur, are they bothered I wonder and are Naim purchasers being taken for granted. This forum seems to mention lots of issues that occur with newish, expensive product. Why are they not trouble free.

Charles, while Naim work hard to try to ensure that issues don't occur, history shows that while you can strive for it, it's nigh on impossible to achieve. It's also why a warranty is given.  

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Rich 1

In forums such as this, those with issues are more likely to shout than those without. I'm sure Naim keep statistics on components mean time to failure and warranty failures and I'm sure they learn from this as warranty failure costs the company money and out of warranty failure costs reputation and therefore money. Rich 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Charles44

Rich

Richard Dane posted:

Charles, while Naim work hard to try to ensure that issues don't occur, history shows that while you can strive for it, it's nigh on impossible to achieve. It's also why a warranty is given.  

Richard, I understand what you say but if there is a continual issue with something it seems to me it is not dealt with. Also you do not address the point about explanations or similar from management. Has  there ever been a published acknowledgement of long standing issues however small.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Popeye
HiFiman posted:

Point taken Richard but in hindsight glass should have been used instead of plastic around the LED display to stop tiny fingers pushing the plastic into the display.

Come on guys, everyone knows plastic sounds better than glass and that is why! ????????

I'm not sure about "published" but when ever there has been an issue that has cropped up, once it is recognised and identified, it's something then notified and discussed with the dealers and distributors  - they are after all "on point" and are the ones who sell the Naim kit and deal with the customers.  Sometimes in the past, where a thread may have arisen regarding a particular issue, the MD or customer service manager may have decided to come on here to address the forum members, and often if I have any info then i have responded  where I can (the forum is informal by nature though and not directly administered from the factory so I don't always have latest or best info to hand - your dealer should be the best place for any explanation behind any issue.  Failing that, email Naim and ask).

As for any issue that appears to be continuous, it's certainly never in anyones interest for such a thing to continue.  But sometimes where the problem lies can be hard to accurately identify and even when you can do so, solutions can sometimes be difficult to achieve and Naim often has to rely on suppliers and processes that are not under its direct control. However, speaking of the present, Naim has a newly appointed quality director (Scott), whom I met when I was down at the factory a week or so ago. His task is to specifically troubleshoot any QA issues, whether during production or with products with customers. Talking with him really underlined Naim's commitment to getting things absolutely right as much as they can.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Guinnless
hungryhalibut posted:

Parents are not responsible for their offspring nowadays any behavioural issues are somebody else's problem.

As a child I was taught not to touch without permission, doing so had consequences.  If I wanted to know about something I asked.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by naka

Thanks to all for all the input and especially to Richard for the knowledge of the problem. Although it is a "pain" I can live with it knowing now what it is.

I reported the problem to the Portuguese importer (asking if they could change the display) and the answer I got was to send the cd player back to the UK factory to be repaired for "just" 550 Euros!

It is sad when the importer is just a reseller - on the basic sense of the word - that doesn't follow (I don't want to say respect) the brand's quality, pos-sell service and devotion and loyalty from users..

Thank god for this forum...