HDX file size ?

Posted by: Biddler66 on 19 December 2018

I have been after a CDX2 but can't seem to find one for love nor money and so I have started to look at a HDX2. I have read the various threads about comparing them and the SSD/external storage etc but I can't find out a rough guide to see how much storage you need. I have 80Gb of music ripped from CD in my iTunes account but I presume (wrongly?) that the files stored on a HDX will be larger. Is there a rule of thumb to compare my iTune file size to HDX ?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by ChrisSU

The files will be the same size unless you change them to a different format. If you have lossy AAC files on iTunes, you may want to rip the CDs again in a lossless format for best sound quality. WAV will be virtually identical in size to the original CD. Lossless FLAC will be quite a bit smaller. 

By the way, did you nean NDX2? There is no HDX2. 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Biddler66

Thank you and yes you are quite right I left the Tb off the end of the HDX ...... Seems like I can get away with a 500 Gb easily enough. Thats saved me a few quid ! 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Your profile says you have a CDX2, yet you say you can’t find one for love nor money. 

The 2TB version replaced the smaller capacity version quite some time ago. Personally I would be reluctant to buy the old model knowing that it had an old hard drive in it, as replacement drives are not cheap. The old version also lacks some functionality, and can, I think, only store CDs that you rip on it. With the 2TB version you can transfer music files from iTunes or other storage. 

I wouldn’t touch the HDX with a barge pole. A nas and a streamer is so much more flexible and futureproof. 

hungryhalibut posted:

I wouldn’t touch the HDX with a barge pole. A nas and a streamer is so much more flexible and futureproof. 

Some people still prefer vinyl - there’s no accounting for taste. 

hungryhalibut posted:

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Your profile says you have a CDX2, yet you say you can’t find one for love nor money. 

I did buy one but the seller let me down I will update my profile. All I am trying to achieve is the ability to play my CD's, perhaps I should be patient and wait for a CDX2 to appear.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by MDS
hungryhalibut posted:

I wouldn’t touch the HDX with a barge pole. 

I don't think you need to. It comes with a remote. 

ChrisSU posted:

The 2TB version replaced the smaller capacity version quite some time ago. Personally I would be reluctant to buy the old model knowing that it had an old hard drive in it, as replacement drives are not cheap. The old version also lacks some functionality, and can, I think, only store CDs that you rip on it. With the 2TB version you can transfer music files from iTunes or other storage. 

Thank you, as always this forum is very helpful and knowledgeable, especially to somebody like me that is pretty new to all this !

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet
MDS posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

I wouldn’t touch the HDX with a barge pole. 

I don't think you need to. It comes with a remote. 

Lol ....,????

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Dev B

The HDX is an amazing product ours has been in good service since 2011. It’s expandable as you can add a NAS to it. We have 1,600 CDS ripped and have not missed a CD player too much. It’s plugged into a NDAC, XPS2 into a 552/250 and sounds properly high end.

regards

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by dave marshall
Biddler66 posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Thank you, as always this forum is very helpful and knowledgeable, especially to somebody like me that is pretty new to all this !

Since the HDX can be picked up relatively cheaply, it's worth noting that it can be returned to Naim for a full service, which includes installing a brand new 2 Tb drive, together with much else besides, for a standard charge of £395.

Because of this, I decided to keep my ageing HDX and have the work done, as it remains a simple, and straightforward way of ripping one's CD's and serving them to a streamer, without the need for any third party ripping software.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by dave marshall

I should have added that the fixed service charge also included a new CD mechanism, together with the rest of the service.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Jonn

Somewhat of a bargain now S/H for a ripper/storage/CD player and iradio.

Recently had mine serviced by Naim so good to go for a few more years. Sound quality is excellent. I also  prefer the N-Serve app to the Naim App used for the current range of streamers.

Biddler66 posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

I did buy one but the seller let me down I will update my profile. All I am trying to achieve is the ability to play my CD's, perhaps I should be patient and wait for a CDX2 to appear.

If you ask Naim I’m sure they will make you one. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Biddler66
dave marshall posted:
Biddler66 posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Since the HDX can be picked up relatively cheaply, it's worth noting that it can be returned to Naim for a full service, which includes installing a brand new 2 Tb drive, together with much else besides, for a standard charge of £395.

Because of this, I decided to keep my ageing HDX and have the work done, as it remains a simple, and straightforward way of ripping one's CD's and serving them to a streamer, without the need for any third party ripping software.

Thank you, another golden nugget ! sounds like a good route to go down if it is fixed cost and they go through it. Beats buying something "unknown" in the S/H market, might as well buy cheaper and do this.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Perhaps Naim’s adoption of fixed price servicing could work in your favour here? If you get an older version on the cheap, it might first be worth checking with Naim that they could fit it with the new 2TB drive and associated software for that fixed price, as this could make it something of a bargain. 

If you later decide you want to use a range of web streaming services, you may be better off with an NDX and a NAS.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by dave marshall
ChrisSU posted:

Perhaps Naim’s adoption of fixed price servicing could work in your favour here? If you get an older version on the cheap, it might first be worth checking with Naim that they could fit it with the new 2TB drive and associated software for that fixed price, as this could make it something of a bargain. 

If you later decide you want to use a range of web streaming services, you may be better off with an NDX and a NAS.

As Chris quite rightly says, do check with Naim first, before committing to a purchase.

My HDX was one of the original twin 400 Gb drive versions, as used in The Ark, and there wasn't a problem.

Just to reiterate, that fixed price included the new 2 Tb drive, a new CD mechanism, a replacement Naim logo, at least a dozen replacement capacitors, some new wiring, a bit of a spit and polish to the outer case, and all my music copied across to the new HD, .....................bargain, I'd have thought?

Yes, I have fired off an email to ask about this, thank you. It does seem to be an all round win for me. I get a "new" HDX and once I rip my CD's to it the kids can even use it and make play list etc. I dont really want to go down the NDX route as I live in a rural location and can have the internet go down for literally hours at a time (and a couple of times days). IF this ever gets fixed I might think about it but every call I have with openreach about it I fear it is a long way off .......

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Just in case you weren’t aware, you need internet access when you rip albums to the HDX in order to get your metadata. It’s just the same if you use a computer to do it. 

With an NDX for example you would be streaming over your network, and this does not require the internet to be functioning. So long as you have a wireless router you can control the music with the Naim app, whether the internet is working or not. The same applies to the nServe app for the HDX. 

Obviously, internet radio won’t work with either an NDX or HDX if the internet is down. 

Thank you, I will bear that in mind when ripping, maybe do at night when the kids are not on youtube all the time !

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Biddler66
dave marshall posted:
Biddler66 posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Got email back and this is still the case, 3-4 week turnaround, thank you very much for your help.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by ChrisSU

If you do get an older model, I suspect the fixed price would not necessarily include replacing the drive if the old one still worked. So you may not get the new 2TB version with added functionality. Paradoxically, a broken one might be a better buy than a working one!! 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Biddler66

Thanks, I have picked up a 2013 2TB model from the usual online auction site, hopefully be with me in a few days and then off for the refurb.