Uniti line with a bluesound vault

Posted by: Dramatic Tenor on 19 December 2018

Does anyone know if the Uniti Atom file system can recognize and pull from a bluesound?

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I don’t think the Vault has a UPnP server, but you could use its optical digital output, or even its analogue output, to play it into the Atom. This would mean browsing and selecting music via a Bluesound control app, and input/volume selection via the Naim app. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Dramatic Tenor

Thanks. A bit balky but for the price difference maybe I could live with that. I would have to use the digital out since my Atoms one analog input is taken by my ‘table

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by ChrisSU

You would be making the streamer section of the Atom redundant, and using two separate apps for control, which isn’t very neat. If you don’t mind using a computer for ripping, a regular NAS would be much cheaper and possibly more versatile. If you don’t want to run a NAS, you may find USB storage is all you need. Another ripper option with server built in would be an Innuos Zen Mini. 

I’d prefer to have the more elegant/less cumbersome solution of a Core. But so far I can’t find one on A’gon. There was an affordable Vault, thus my questions. 

I don’t want to use a computer for it. I’d have to get an external cd drive and ensure it was suitably jitter-free etc.  

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Dramatic Tenor posted:

I don’t want to use a computer for it. I’d have to get an external cd drive and ensure it was suitably jitter-free etc.  

Pretty much any cheap CD drive will do. Decent ripping software such as DBPoweramp or XLD will check that the rip data is correct, you don’t need to worry about issues like jitter. Add a decent Synology or QNAP NAS, and you can be up and running for about £300. Ugly, but you can hide it away anywhere as long as it has a network connection.