On switching from Hegel to Naim

Posted by: echobase on 20 December 2018

In 2016 I purchased a Hegel H160 integrated amp to pair with my newly-acquired Dynaudio Focus 160s. Listening mostly to guitar and drum rock, I immediately realized I had made a grave error. Although it offered buttery smooth vocals and nice separation of instruments, the Hegel lacked speed and slam. I was bored rigid. Despite a 250w/4ohm rating, it was never able to convincingly grip the Dyns. A costly mistake indeed, as I sold it on audiogon a couple of months ago and straight away purchased a Supernait 2. I'm lucky my wife has vast reserves of patience, which are normally allocated to our toddler these days. It was hard-going with the SN2 in those first hours (partnered with a CD5 XS). As described here by others, the SN2 sounded harsh and closed initially- much more so than I expected. It hurt my ears after 20-30 minutes listening at moderate levels. But over the next 30-150 hours it opened up and softened up considerably and I knew I'd finally got things right. True, the Hegel and the Naim are not quite in the same class and maybe a comparison cannot be justly drawn. The SN2 clearly offers a more profound experience. Discs like 'Talking Heads: The Name of This Band is Talking Heads' are what I switched to the SN2 for. It hypnotically renders the polyrhythms of that live album and finally gives me the slam and snap I've been missing. The SN2 conveys very well just how tight that band had become at live performance by '79 or'80. In my 14 x 16 ft listening room I rarely turn the volume past the 9 o'clock position. There's just no need.  Listening to the first track of U2's Achtung Baby I experience the wonderful illusion of being in the Zoo TV arena. The SN2's presentation here is satisfyingly impactful, full-bodied, multi-layered, and richly enveloping. It turns my Focus 160s into the floorstanders they secretly are. The other day I put in the The Stone Roses' self titled album and was pleasantly surprised to discover more of its dynamic nooks and crannies. I can now finally experience the excellent low level articulation of the Dyns when playing Gang of Four's 'Entertainment'. I don't think that's anybody's idea of an audiophile record (indeed it goes against the spirit of that record to play it on boutique equipment). Nevertheless, at low volume the SN2 renders it with toe-tapping snap and room-filling detail. Winner. Lastly, I will confess to owning 5 different redbook masterings of Roxy Music's Avalon. My favorite is the Polydor 'Red Face' version, and damn, if that doesn't sound sweet and supple played through this new amp. I absolutely love my SN2 and it puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it now. It makes me finally forget about the equipment, except to write this self-indulgent little report. Cheers.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Hi,

Funny I’ve always liked the Hegel sound but in truth they are probably more suited to less demanding speakers.   I used to have Dyn Contour 1,8s with my 250 and it was great.  Always been very impressed with the SN2 - refined but very dynamic - I can imagine that it would have a great synergy with the 160s.  

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

The guy I bought my Dynaudio Contour s3.4s from had quite a big powerful Hegel amp and it handled the Dyns quite well and sounded great I even considered swapping over to Hegel myself at one time.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richieroo

I have listened to the small Hegel.. ..integrated....hooked up to some very big dynaudios at one of the Bristol shows....and it sounded great....I think speaker amp combos are very tricky to get right....not taking anything away from the SN ..... which is a fine amp....you obviously have a great combination now...enjoy