Brexit thread... moderated shut or???

Posted by: Stephen packer on 21 December 2018

Is it just me, or has the 'brexit' thread disappeared?

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

It's gorn. Usually it comes back after a bit of post tidying by RD, but maybe it's gone too far this time. No great loss, it was a bit of fun at times but it's such a divisive subject...

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Don Atkinson

I suggested elsewhere (on the forum)  that it would be good if we had a Brexit break, if only during this festive season.

But i only made this suggestion after the thread had disappeared - I don't run to tell tales to the Headmaster just because someone has hurled the odd insult over the fence !

However, I doubt if even Richard noticed that suggestion never mind took it on board.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by MDS

It would be a pity if it has gone for good. There's going to be some very interesting and possibly unprecedented politics to discuss in the New Year.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
MDS posted:

It would be a pity if it has gone for good. There's going to be some very interesting and possibly unprecedented politics to discuss in the New Year.

Mike,

Perhaps you could start up an suitable thread in the new year. You seem to be a far more reasonable person than myself or (apolgies in advance) many others here.

And I agree, the New Year will bring important decisions that most people will never before, or herefter have been asked to consider.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by winkyincanada
ChrisR_EPL posted:

.....but it's such a divisive subject...

Spot on. Divisive by design.

Oh, I don't know about that, Don. But if the other thread doesn't come back by Jan and our good moderator, Richard, permits it I might start one and try to constrain it to the political spectacle.

Mike 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Don, I did remove it last night following the usual pattern that the thread seems to follow time and again. And I am in no rush to review, edit and bring the thread back, mainly because I agree with you - a short Brexit break could do us all a bit of good, I think.  

I wish peace and goodwill to all this Christmas.

.....and to you, Richard.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Rich 1

Do we really need to air our individual and diverse Brexit or not views on the Naim forum? It's unlikely that many will change their present views. It just makes people hot under the collar. There are other political forums on the net where this discussion would be more appropriate. Rich 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Jude2012

Is the issue that it ‘makes people hot under the collar’ or that the topic isn’t about Naim or hifi ? 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by tonym
Jude2012 posted:

Is the issue that it ‘makes people hot under the collar’ or that the topic isn’t about Naim or hifi ? 

As the issue in question is in The Padded Cell then it ain't going to be about either of those things, is it?

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

If you take a look on other forums you’ll find that there is a vast amount of really interesting threads on often highly controversial subjects, yet the Padded Cell seems largely restricted to endless jokes and pictures, with nothing very challenging. I find it a shame because the hifi areas are fundamentally a bit dull and the Cell is where the interesting stuff could happen. I’ve tried a few things in the past and got very little response. Homelessness, about which Bob the Builder has posted, is a huge problem yet it attracts little response. Super cars seem more interesting to more people. Willy waving is easier than tackling real issues I suppose. I suspect the fact that the Forum is manufacturer sponsored ties its hands but its a real shame. We cannot discuss some of the key issues facing the world today, such as Trump. The rise of right wing populism, global warming, increasing wealth gaps, immigration, migration, racism, FGM, falling immunisation rates, the decline of public services are just a few issues that rarely get a mention, or if they do, some troll messes it all up. That’s why it’s easier to stick to hifi and I’m listening to Pink Floyd for the four millionth time. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by count.d

Two Scandinavian tourists were horrificly murdered in Morocco this week. Nowhere is safe. Not that this should/could be a subject here, but it does put the endless bickering about Brexit here in perspective. Well it did to me. It's very tedious.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Sloop John B

My cousin’s husband from Scunthorpe was visiting us the other day and commented “Gosh this Brexit thing is a big issue over here (Ireland) isn’t it”............. and he’s married to a Irish lass!

......... mind you he’s unlikely to be reading the Naim forum anyway.

I don’t necessarily agree that minds cannot be changed in fora (although the Brexit thread would not be a good example). There was a thread elsewhere about a gender change that really gave me an insight I never had and did change my opinion about some gender issues.

What is interesting is that we kind of “know” some of the people from musical choices and hifi predilections etc. so this puts their views in a type of context and we can see not all pro-Brexit or anti-Brexit views are stereotypical. 

Anyway perhaps no harm to have a Christmas truce. 

Happy Christmas one and all and hopefully 2019 will bring more positives for the planet than 2018 did.

.sjb

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Timmo1341

I’m not convinced The Labour Party’s Manifesto, or indeed that of any political party, needs an airing on a hi-fi forum. I’m sure there are many other more suitable, purpose built, forums for such topics, where those with strong opinions and feelings on highly sensitive subjects are free to let rip to their hearts’ content.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Rich 1

The old adage, keep your deep held believes in religion and politics out of the discussion and you'll keep your friends. No one likes people with holier than thou attitudes on any subject. I supported Brexit at the vote but I hold my head in shame at some of the comments I've read in this forum from other Brexiters. I'll also say that in the unlikely event of another vote I'd vote remain and not because I love the EU. As I want to keep my friends I'll not go into the politics of my reasons. Rich again. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Fabio 1

Grazie Richard.Same to you.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Hook
hungryhalibut posted:

If you take a look on other forums you’ll find that there is a vast amount of really interesting threads on often highly controversial subjects, yet the Padded Cell seems largely restricted to endless jokes and pictures, with nothing very challenging. I find it a shame because the hifi areas are fundamentally a bit dull and the Cell is where the interesting stuff could happen. I’ve tried a few things in the past and got very little response. Homelessness, about which Bob the Builder has posted, is a huge problem yet it attracts little response. Super cars seem more interesting to more people. Willy waving is easier than tackling real issues I suppose. I suspect the fact that the Forum is manufacturer sponsored ties its hands but its a real shame. We cannot discuss some of the key issues facing the world today, such as Trump. The rise of right wing populism, global warming, increasing wealth gaps, immigration, migration, racism, FGM, falling immunisation rates, the decline of public services are just a few issues that rarely get a mention, or if they do, some troll messes it all up. That’s why it’s easier to stick to hifi and I’m listening to Pink Floyd for the four millionth time. 

Agreed. That’s why I am spending most of my time with the colorful fishes these days. Most there seem to have a higher tolerance for debating controversial topics. 

I do get that Naim has had little tolerance for controversy here of late, and I assume that Richard simply does not have the time to deal with hundreds of complaints by thin-skinned forumites. For now, I guess it simply is what is.

And while the new MD has lots of bigger fish to fry, maybe, just maybe, if Naim has a good 2019, we could revisit the possibility of opening up the Off Topic room a bit? IMO, it would draw more people to the forum and, by implication, to the brand itself.

Just a thought.