Mains Supply/ Distribution Block

Posted by: J.N. on 21 December 2018

My dedicated mains spur has for a few years been feeding a MusicWorks 'Lite' 6-socket block. Powerlines are used throughout; including one feeding the Linn Radikal. I recently heard the difference between the 'Lite' and the more expensive MusicWorks Ultra G3 in a friend's Naim system, so ordered a G3 to try from my ever-helpful dealer Signals. It was couriered to me overnight and arrived this morning.

Usual plan of attack. Refresh the audio-memory with a few well known tracks; power down and wang in the G3.

Re-power and ..................

Initially disappointed/underwhelmed. Okay; give it time. Ten minutes later - happier. Twenty to thirty minutes later; improvement/upgrade clearly evident; I started grinning, and it kept getting better. I’m convinced that a 5 minute power-down of 500 series Naim kit needs at least half an hour to bring it back on song. Plus; the G3 was physically cold, so perhaps it benefited from some warming.

Several hours later, I’ve played lots of well known CDs and LPs and the sonic improvement has continued. So what does it bring to the party with everything nicely settled and warmed up?

Increased information retrieval. I’m hearing hitherto unheard subtle detail. It layers the sound better and sophisticates it with improved dynamic slam. The music is more self-assured with a bigger, more convincing soundstage. All the instruments and vocals sound like they have more individual space in the mix. Also; recordings which might have veered toward ‘edgy’ sound smoother, but with life and verve aplenty, and no loss of PRaT.

It works for me and is a keeper. Further evidence that it's worth paying attention to the ultimate source item - the power supply.

John.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Foot tapper

Uh oh...

Great review J.N.

Merry Christmas, FT

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by MDS

Yes, John.  My dealer brought around one of those last Feb when he had received a demo version.  I had an old Russ Andrews power block at the time (no filtering in it). The uplift when the RA block was swapped out for the G3 was immediately apparent and significant. Suffice to say it didn't leave the house.

It's expensive but in the context of the cost of the system, and the improvement it delivered I thought it very much worth the money.

Mike 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by MDS

I also liked the boldness of the advertising strap-line, though I discovered this after I had bought one. 

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Great write up, an often neglected part of the chain. I also have a better power provision with Ansuz distribution and power Chord, a special wall mount and a special fuse. All considerably contributing to the overall sound.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Jonn

Wouldn't it be cheaper to add a few more unswitched quality sockets on your dedicated spur rather than  a distribution block which however good is an additional link in the chain?

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Gazza

John, thanks for reminding me of this part of the chain....it’s been ticking away at me. I almost bought an ex demo lite version recently.....probably just as well I did not. Andy from Signals was positive about the step up to full G3. One for next year with cables. Merry Xmas.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by 911gt3r

John,.......was this really necessary??    ATB Peter

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

With "Star Earthing" is there a suggested method to what goes where in connecting a system ? " primary Earth on other blocks always state the pre or integrated to be connected, with source and power from the others.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Loki
J.N. posted:

Further evidence that it's worth paying attention to the ultimate source item - the power supply.

John.

Yup! 

Try a power station?

Thor has set up an independent planet core for mine.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Mike-B
TOBYJUG posted:

With "Star Earthing" is there a suggested method to what goes where in connecting a system ? " primary Earth on other blocks always state the pre or integrated to be connected, with source and power from the others.

Don't get too concerned with star earthing on mains power, this is for electrical (230v) safety & it connects the individual box cases to earth.    The important star earth in Naimland is a single point (star) for signal -ve & that is located in the pre-amp or in the PSU if used.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi John.

........time to ask oneself, why one actually bothers?!? 

Catch up soon. ATB Peter

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by J.N.

My friend who recently demonstrated and convinced me of the sonic efficacy of the G3 reported that (in comparison with the MusicWorks 'Lite' version) he was impressed by it on installation, and the sound continued to improve over the next two days.

And so it is here. Whilst trying to stand on a big hyperbole switch and keep it in the 'off' position, I find myself shaking my head at a 'silly better' sound. Two days in, I'm getting an even greater sense of the sound being 'presented' as opposed to 'projected'. There is generally improved resolution/definition/layering, with the music appearing to hang in a bigger 3D space. It has more authority and a better boogie-factor too.

Quite remarkable. A really nice v.f.m. upgrade.

John.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by fathings cat

Very interesting John, not cheap per se but sounds like you are very pleased with results. I may investigate for my system.

Cheers

Gary

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by kevin J Carden

Thanks for the helpful G3 block review John. Interesting. I’m currently weighing a number of possibilities for the optimum set up in a new listening room I’m having built, so most things are potentially on the menu if they’ll make an important difference. I presume you are using a Powerline from wall socket to block as well as from block to equipment - is that right?

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by MDS
kevin J Carden posted:

Thanks for the helpful G3 block review John. Interesting. I’m currently weighing a number of possibilities for the optimum set up in a new listening room I’m having built, so most things are potentially on the menu if they’ll make an important difference. I presume you are using a Powerline from wall socket to block as well as from block to equipment - is that right?

I do on mine. 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by NAJB

I suspect that there will be a few local Naimees who are now going to try out the G3 block. The first hi-fi investment of 2019 for me?