The Steely Dan Dictionary

Posted by: J.N. on 22 December 2018

Enjoy - fellow fans of The Dan.

http://steelydandictionary.com

John.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Peder

???? JN,....Here you have a big fan of Steely Dan ????  THANKS.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I´m not a big fan of Steely Dan, mostly because it is pretty new to me.

But guess what´s next to my Nac now:

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Thanks John, that disctionary is a real treasure trove. I love the Dan. I wonder how many people don’t know where their name came from. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Mike-B
hungryhalibut posted:

Thanks John, that disctionary is a real treasure trove. I love the Dan. I wonder how many people don’t know where their name came from. 

The answer is in the book .............  not a great read tho'  

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by T38.45

HA!! Many thanks.....big fan here :-)

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by J.N.
Ardbeg10y posted:

A superb compilation - replicating all the albums (more or less in chronological track order with a few extras) up to 1980. I like the sound of Glen Meadows' remastering job, though 'originals' arguably sound better. There is discussion about the set on the Steve Hoffman forum.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv...ound-quality.141105/

John.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Dan Steel

Cheers ????

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Clive B
Mike-B posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

I read it simply because I wanted to find out about the Steely Dan name and the context. Challenging read, but I do recall learning that ground nutmeg in boiling water is meant to have hallucinogenic properties. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Mike-B
Clive B posted:

.................     I do recall learning that ground nutmeg in boiling water is meant to have hallucinogenic properties. 

Indeed it does, went there in my yoof, a dangerous place to play.    That said Mrs-B's apple crumble wouldn't be the same without it.        

Clive B posted:
Mike-B posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

I read it simply because I wanted to find out about the Steely Dan name and the context. Challenging read, but I do recall learning that ground nutmeg in boiling water is meant to have hallucinogenic properties. 

Clive, the film was challenging as well.????

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Timmo1341
Mike-B posted:
Clive B posted:

.................     I do recall learning that ground nutmeg in boiling water is meant to have hallucinogenic properties. 

Indeed it does, went there in my yoof, a dangerous place to play.    That said Mrs-B's apple crumble wouldn't be the same without it.        

For any of those tempted to give it a whirl, make sure you Google the side effects before doing so! As always, no such thing as a free lunch. I have very clear memories of a friend from my Sheffield student days (c.1975) being taken to A&E after consuming a cocktail which incorporated a large quantity of nutmeg. He was lucky, but not very well for some days.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Daveas

Thanks J.N. from a Dan Fan who once had his eyes examined by Dr Wu.

Daveas posted:

Only a fool would say that...????

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by AndyP19

A great find. I often think, did I hear that right. Nice bit about going to Las Vegas.

Ha I knew an actuary called Dr. Wu and used to ask him are you really Dr. Wu. He hadn’t got a clue what I was going on about.

Bit like ringing up my mate Victor and asking the receptionist Hello is Vic there, is Vic there?

No mention of who Kid Charlemagne is/was which by the way is one of the great guitar solos of all time. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Daveas
Dan Steel posted:
Daveas posted:

Only a fool would say that...????

Only once, I wouldn't let him Do It Again.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Cheers John.

The Dan are one of those artists where you think: only a Dan album can match my mood. As much as I like the solo works, the sum was greater than the parts,

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Stevee_S

Adding my thanks John. 

Mike-B posted:
Clive B posted:

Indeed, I was first introduced to this concoction while  living in Mansura and working in the Nile Delta by a female member of the kitchen staff catering for the crew, interesting daze....

Ardbeg10y posted:

I didn't know anyone else had this great anthology as I don't recall anyone posting it, a fine collection. 

Stevee_S posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

I didn't know anyone else had this great anthology as I don't recall anyone posting it, a fine collection. 

I have it as well as all the individual albums and CDs. The version of Royal Scan (my fave Dan album) on this set is my preferred version. I must check it out on the ND555. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by AndyP19

Here's mine - one of the few places to find the great rare non-album track FM (No Static At All).

Clive B posted:
Stevee_S posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

I have it as well as all the individual albums and CDs. The version of Royal Scan (my fave Dan album) on this set is my preferred version. I must check it out on the ND555. 

Same here, Clive. I had all the original vinyl sadly now long gone but have their fine sounding early original CDs and later SHMCDs. They were all so well recorded that none of the versions are weak or poor, rather they are different shades of great.

AndyP19 posted:

Here's mine - one of the few places to find the great rare non-album track FM (No Static At All).

And that brilliant introduction to tthat live version of Bhodisatva if I recall correctly. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Chunky

I have this CD box set too, as well as the original vinyl albums.  All sound great.  As for the FM track, I have the FM soundtrack on vinyl which, as well as containing FM  and Do It Again by Steely Dan, has some good music from the likes of Tom Petty, Doobie Brothers, Bob Seger, Boston, Eagles and Joe Walsh.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Eoink

Great find thanks.