Service upgrade possibilities: the 2019 schedule

Posted by: Loki on 23 December 2018

Just thinking ahead for 2019 and I need your collective wisdom about service intervals and upgrade possibilities.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by SteveH

A relatively newly serviced 32.5 with a HiCap DR is extremely good.   

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Loki

Indeed. The 32.5 does not sound bad to these ears and I don't need a vast array of source inputs. The 250DR proved how open, expressive and clear this venerable pre-amp can be. And it has vintage appeal (according to Loki progeny).

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Loki

I can't believe no-one else has a view, or am I asking the 'bleedin' obvious'?! Come on Naimites...

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by yeti42

OK one uninformed opinion coming up.

9 years on hicaps a service is about due in the next few years.

Do you have a dedicated radial for the mains?

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by feeling_zen

9 years hmmm. Can't afford a 282 yet hmmmm.

How about wait another 3 years and do nothing for now? They'll definitely need a service then but you may have enough at that time to get a 282 and sell the others for a HCdr.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Loki
yeti42 posted:

OK one uninformed opinion coming up.

9 years on hicaps a service is about due in the next few years.

Do you have a dedicated radial for the mains?

Splendidly informed opinion! 

Nearing service time is what I feared, hence the question about where to allocate funds.

Yes, dedicated mains. One of the best upgrades bar none!

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Loki
feeling_zen posted:

9 years hmmm. Can't afford a 282 yet hmmmm.

How about wait another 3 years and do nothing for now? They'll definitely need a service then but you may have enough at that time to get a 282 and sell the others for a HCdr.

Loving the Naim hum 

Good thought, postpone and save. Thing is I will still need 2 power supplies, hence considering  the 2nd hand market and going for the DR upgrades as and when time and coffers allow.